Lunar Energy was founded to transition homes to 100% clean energy—making our electricity greener, our air cleaner and our energy more safe, secure and reliable for all. We’re a fast-growing, global company building the world’s best clean energy products to electrify all homes and connect communities to form clean, resilient virtual power plants.
On a given day at Lunar, you likely...
- Create the best possible products by contributing to product level features, design, and vision by leveraging your experience and creativity
- Detailed design of power electronic systems from 10W – 10kW, DC/DC converters, offline isolated power supplies, and inverters including the selection of topology, semiconductors, magnetics design, schematic design and layout, EMC and design of various safety aspects
- Bring up and testing of systems to validate functionality, optimize performance, and evaluate critical characteristics
- Collaborate to create efficient test and validation mechanisms for the individual components as well as the complete system and support of the development of custom test cards
- Work across functions such as mechanical, thermal, reliability, and firmware engineering to optimize the product
- Start-to-finish ownership of the power conversion system from specification through design, prototype, validation and manufacturing
- Minimum B.S. in Electrical Engineering with 3 years’ experience in power electronics design. M.S. or Ph.D. degree with power electronics focus is preferred. Job grade can be discussed based on qualification and experience
- Detailed understanding of active and passive component losses in power conversion and the various means to reduce/mitigate those losses
- Familiarity with various topologies (two-level, multilevel, soft switching, etc.) and ability to analyze, select, and design topologies best suited for a given application
- Knowledge of sensor design to measure converter parameters in real time in a noisy environment
- Familiarity with magnetics design and specification, applications of various core materials for both power and filtering, knowledge of winding structure and optimization, and insulation strategies
- EMC design and optimization. Understanding of EMC theory applied to both PCB layout as well as filter designs
- Ability to design schematics and conduct layout design or review as it applies to power conversion
- Strong lab skills with working knowledge of the tools and techniques for power conversion test and analysis (e.g., use of oscilloscopes, impedance analyzers, sources, and loads in an environment with both high voltages and currents, and high common-mode and differential-mode noise)
- Working with high voltage, current, and power
- Ability to simulate power converter systems and familiarity with the tools thereof
- Facility with global safety and EMC certifications and building systems to pass the relevant codes
- Previous work in the solar, energy storage, or EV/ EV Charging industries. Experience in battery management system is a strong plus
- Familiarity with embedded control and application and programming of microcontrollers, PLDs and the like
- Basic understanding of mechanical and thermal considerations
- Competitive compensation package + equity
- Comprehensive benefits - medical, dental and vision
- Flexible Paid Time Off + 10 paid holidays
- Paid parental leave for all full time employees: 12 weeks paid parental leave for the birthing mother, 6 weeks paid parental leave for the non-birthing parent
- Wellbeing: partnerships with GymPass, SoFi, Carrot, Headspace, One Medical, and more!
Our Compensation Philosophy: Our goal is to ensure that all Lunar Energy employees are fairly compensated. Please note that the salary range information that follows is a good faith estimate for this position provided pursuant to the Pay Transparency for Pay Equity Act for California applicants. The salary range estimate for this position depending on level of experience is: $150k - $175k USD.
The actual offer, reflecting the total compensation package & benefits, will be at the company’s sole discretion, and determined by factors including but not limited to years of experience, job level, geographic location, and other relevant business considerations. The company also reserves the right to amend or modify this job description, employee perks, and benefits at any time.