Linguistics Editor, YourDictionary.com
About LoveToKnow Media:
At LoveToKnow Media, we believe the good life is inspired by love and guided by knowledge.
Our five distinct brands share a mission to make the world smarter. Unique in their content yet unified in their purpose, LoveToKnow, YourDictionary, WordFinder, GolfLink, and Bibliography.com compel expansive and engaged audiences of consumers who seek specialized subject matters.
Spanning 14 time zones, we cultivate exceptional talent from around the world. A global perspective is what fuels our success and ability to be one of the largest and most well-rounded digital media portfolios in the world. As one global community, we work collaboratively across continents and cultures to create informative content that truly makes the world smarter. Our flexible approach emboldens our employees to work in the environments that play to their strengths, including fully remote roles and flexible in-person roles in the heart of Barcelona.
Remote, Full Time
LoveToKnow is seeking a specialized Editor for YourDictionary.com who will be our subject matter expert on linguistics and language usage throughout the website. This person will have a history of working in the language or reference space as well as knowledge of linguistics, etymologies, word forms and meanings, and an understanding of how dictionaries and thesauruses function and work. The editor will also review and update our dictionary, thesaurus, example sentences, language development, and marketing content on the site to make sure it is accurate and factual while aligning with our brand voice and tone to inspire new audience development and increase the authority and reach of our brand.
- Acts as Subject Matter Expert that champions for brand authority for linguistics and language for the site and reviews content with a linguistic eye
- Edits drafts from staff and freelance writers
- Writes ~5-10 pieces of content per month (including short articles, educational quizzes, video scripts, etc.)
- Aligns and works closely with content editor so all site content is factual and works well together
- Updates and reviews long-form word and language articles for accuracy and authority in conjunction with content editor
- Helps strategize, write and edit content features both on and off platform
- Creates and edits authoritative and streamlined content for marketing purposes like newsletters or social media
- Helps strategize proprietary educational quiz content and how it’s used on the site
- Helps create and produce unique dictionary content including information on pronunciations, spellings, and layman’s definitions
- Determines interconnectedness and linking between database and unique content across site
- Starts developing strategies for new content types that can expand current audience engagement and reach
Qualifications & Skills Required
- Bachelor’s degree in English
- At least 2 years of experience editing in digital publishing preferably in the reference space
- Solid understanding of linguistics
- Proven experience writing digital copy to increase reader engagement
- High attention to detail
- Ability to think like our audience and recognize quality content
- Great communication skills
- Ability to provide constructive criticism and revision requests to writers in a positive manner
- Flexibility to take on a variety of content channels, projects, and other tasks
- Self-motivated and able to work independently
- Basic understanding and knowledge of SEO best practices
- Understanding of images and how they enhance written content
- 100% Remote, Work from Home Company
- 100% Company Paid Medical, Dental, Vision individual coverage
- Retirement plan with 3% Company match
- Flexible Paid Time Off
- 11 Paid Company Holidays
- Premium membership to Headspace app, to align with our Work/Life Balance Mantra!