Senior PHP Developer
Join a fast-growing portfolio of consumer digital media properties that total 50M users per month. If you are looking to help establish modern development practices and to provide backend development guidance to other teams, then we want to speak with you.
Above all else, you are a software artisan with a passionate desire to craft elegant yet pragmatic solutions for every task you are given. This role spans leadership and planning, you will report directly to the Product Manager.
You will initially be working on a PHP 7 headless CMS. Your work will be high impact and highly visible—this is a profitable, public website with millions of monthly visitors.
At this moment we’re only able to accept people holding EU citizenship or EU Blue Card for Spain as we do NOT provide visa sponsorships. If you’re not in Barcelona at the moment, your position will be remote at your location up before 2022.
Why you want this job
- Room to self-organize your time.
- Remote/in-office work to be chosen from.
- LoveToKnow brings Silicon Valley ways to Barcelona.
- LoveToKnow operates several of our own websites. Your work and input will be integral to the growth of our proprietary products.
- Your work will be a high impact and high visibility.
- We have a flat organizational structure and you will work directly with the product managers under the regional manager’s supervision.
- You will be part of a superb, international senior team of professionals.
- Offices at a premium location in Barcelona.
- LoveToKnow gives you the best tools you may need to develop your tasks: laptop, screen, etc.
- Technical training/meetups covered by the company.
- Recognition and rewards for excellent work
About the Role
- Maintain and enhance the existing codebase.
- Mature the site's development practices and processes to include automated unit, integration, and acceptance testing; automated builds and deploys; continuous integration; and other tools/processes you deem appropriate.
- Mentor other developers working both on this site and other projects who are utilizing a wide variety of technologies.
- Coordinate with our product, graphic design, and content teams to understand requirements.
- Architect and implement code and processes following industry standards and best practices.
What you will need to be successful
- Experience with Craft CMS 3.4 extensibility (based on the Yii PHP framework) to implement modules and plugins.
- Proficiency with PHP 7, Composer, AWS, Docker, and Terraform is highly valued.
- Codeception, and GitHub Actions/Workflow a plus (nice to have).
- Fluent in multiple programming languages (preferably Node.js and PHP) and interest in learning new technologies.
- Deep understanding of software engineering fundamentals, including:
- Object-oriented analysis, design, and programming
- Software design patterns
- Data structures
- Strong background in automating software testing, delivery, and infrastructure changes.
- Familiar with data modeling and database design.
- 5+ years engineering web sites and services.
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science or equivalent.
- Excellent English communication skills, both written and oral.
- Experience utilizing and automating cloud computing services a plus.
About LoveToKnow Media:
At LoveToKnow Media, we believe the good life is inspired by love and guided by knowledge.
Our five distinct brands share a mission to make the world smarter. Unique in their content yet unified in their purpose, LoveToKnow, YourDictionary, WordFinder, GolfLink, and Bibliography.com compel expansive and engaged audiences of consumers who seek specialized subject matters.
Spanning 14 time zones, we cultivate exceptional talent from around the world. A global perspective is what fuels our success and ability to be one of the largest and most well-rounded digital media portfolios in the world. As one global community, we work collaboratively across continents and cultures to create informative content that truly makes the world smarter. Our flexible approach emboldens our employees to work in the environments that play to their strengths, including fully remote roles and flexible in-person roles in the heart of Barcelona.