Loon is on a mission to connect people everywhere by inventing and integrating audacious technology. A network of balloons traveling on the edge of space, Loon combines advancements in materials science, atmospheric modeling, machine learning, and communications systems to expand connectivity to unserved and underserved areas around the world. Loon is one of the newest independent companies within Alphabet.
The Product Management team at Loon serves as a bridge between the market and our product creation teams. Product managers need to be equally comfortable talking with a customer and with our own engineers. This role will be focussed on Loon’s Connectivity offering which include Mobile Network Expansion and Backhaul as a Service. Even more specifically, the role will focus on guiding the intersection of Loon with emerging technologies such as 5G and IoT.
- Drive Loon’s Connectivity roadmap and product requirements in collaboration with other Product Managers, Business Development and Engineering. Specific emphasis on emerging connectivity technologies including 5G and IoT.
- Develop detailed product requirement documents, leveraging market intelligence and in-depth knowledge of Mobile Network Operator requirements and communication technologies, and by performing business and cost analyses.
- Build business metrics into overall product plan to drive scalable and balanced growth.
- Build trusted and highly effective working relationships across Loon including engineering, design, data science, vendors, and policy/regulatory and market facing program teams.
- Demonstrate thought leadership and influence technical and business stakeholders across all management levels both internally and externally.
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Physics, a related technical field, or equivalent practical experience.
- 7+ years of wireless product experience at a connectivity-related company having specific focus on products utilizing these technologies: 5G, IoT, LTE, WCDMA, CDMA and GSM/GPRS/EDGE.
- 7+ years of experience leading large scale commercial projects with Mobile Network Operators including early phases (e.g. prototyping) through market introduction and sustaining network management.
- 7+ years of experience working with cross-functional teams, including Software/Product Engineering, Sales, Marketing, Finance, Supply Chain, Customer Support, Partnerships, and Legal.
- Advanced degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Physics, or a related technical field, or an MBA.
- Product development experience with LAN, PAN and non-cellular IoT technologies including Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Bluetooth Low Energy, RFID, NFC, LoRaWAN and Sigfox.
- Product development experience with satellite communication technologies.
- Willingness to travel both domestically and internationally up to 25%.