Loon is on a mission to connect people everywhere by inventing and integrating audacious technology. A network of balloons traveling on the edge of space, Loon combines advancements in materials science, atmospheric modeling, machine learning, and communications systems to expand connectivity to unserved and underserved areas around the world. Loon is one of the newest independent companies within Alphabet.
As a member of the Loon team, you will own the technical relationship with customers and accelerate the sales cycle by securing engagement with partner technical teams. You will lead technical integration with network partners, and be a customer facing point of contact for all aspects of Loon including, but not limited to, wireless systems, networking, high level architecture, business strategy, and sales.
The production network infrastructure at Loon operates at a massive scale while providing reliable service to millions of Internet users throughout the world. The scale and complexity of the network generates a constant stream of interesting challenges which are solved by using an evolving set of technologies that require innovation in every aspect of networking.
The Network Architecture team defines and provides the architectural elements, designs, building blocks and technologies that allow Loon’s production network infrastructure to meet service requirements in a reliable, scalable and cost-effective manner. Your work will require a strong understanding of all current and evolving technology options for network design and integration with network partners, and an ability to apply the knowledge to creative solutions.
You will work closely with the Network Engineering, Backhaul, LTE, and Deployment teams to carefully consider and incorporate solutions to meet future needs. You will be expected to think critically and strategically about Loon, absorb and process large amounts of technical information in a continuously evolving environment.
- Liaise with senior, C-level technical team in partner organizations.
- Understand unique requirements from each partner and define appropriate level of customization for each client situation.
- Monitor network KPIs in launched commercial partnerships
- Liaise with internal and external Engineering teams on network infrastructure, IP network (IPv4/IPv6), DHCP, IMS/SIP, IPsec; wireless network interoperability tests (IOT), UICC/SIM chipsets and modules relating to wireless devices
- Manage the relationship with senior technical stakeholders in partner organization
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant technical field
- 5+ years industry experience with 3GPP networks (LTE, UMTS/HSPA, GSM/GRPS), and working with network equipment vendors (e.g. Nokia, Ericsson, Cisco)
- Prior experience working with network infrastructure; working knowledge of LTE networking concepts (e.g. EPC, RAN, attach/tracking area update, data bearer setup and maintenance, VoLTE, MCS) or UMTS/GSM equivalents, and various network adjuncts and services (e.g. AAA, Diameter, GTP, S1, S5, S6a, SGs, TR-069)
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and oral and written communications skills
- Excellent theoretical and practical experience in transmitter and receiver design, antenna characteristics, and cellular network design, including back-end systems, LTE and SON technologies.
- Experience working in both start-up and corporate environments, with international telcos and carrier/agency certification, and a demonstrated ability to formulate data driven proposals.
- Communication skills and experience presenting analysis and complex concepts to multiple audiences (up to CXO Level).
- Deep knowledge of wireless technology landscape including experience with cellular wireless standards (GSM/EDGE, CDMA, UMTS, LTE).
- Background in network infrastructure plus the ability to work in a client facing role.
- Detailed understanding of 3GPP specifications and worldwide spectrum and telecommunications regulations
- Wireless expert with strong hands-on technical skills and the ability to work across disparate groups including sales, operations, product management, and engineering.