Lofelt is developing next-generation haptic technology. Our aim is to provide the most remarkable haptic experiences on the market – spearheading the adoption of realistic haptics in mobile, AR/VR and gaming peripherals. We are currently working with world-renowned brands to improve the user experience in some of the most recognized consumer products. As part of a small, fast-growing team working with agile methodologies, you’ll find many opportunities to grow your skill set and take on new responsibilities and challenges within the organization.
Recent product launches with Lofelt’s technology include Razer Nari Ultimate and Teenage Engineering OP-Z. In October 2019, Lofelt launched the first design tool for authoring realistic haptic experiences: Lofelt Composer.
Help us create the most remarkable haptic experiences of the future.
A central part of Lofelt haptic technology is a set of core, highly-portable, performant modules that create and store haptic data for applications at design and compile time, and then played back on various operating systems and hardware platforms at runtime. You would be part of the team delivering this technology.
The team has recently decided to adopt Rust as the primary language for new code in these libraries, and you would be working in Rust on a daily basis (with integration into other C, C++, Swift, Objective-C and Kotlin libraries).
We are looking for engineers with previous experience in high performance, cross-platform, core technology development. We expect most candidates in this area to have experience primarily with C/C++. Prior Rust experience is therefore not a requirement, but is, of course, beneficial. You must, however, be willing to learn Rust and Lofelt will support that development.
What you will do
- With your team, you will design, develop and maintain modern, clean, cross-platform code at the core of a new haptic technology pipeline.
- Define API boundaries, file formats and specifications to interface between design time and runtime systems.
- Integrate and ship this core technology, as part of a product package, in various forms: mobile SDK’s; game engine plugins and web backend API’s, including contributing to the documentation that supports the releases.
- Integrate our new core technology stack with various runtime environments and languages, as well as our existing core libraries and embedded products.
- Collaborate with other software, hardware and embedded engineers, researchers, designers, and product owners to solve novel, complex problems in haptics.
- Own and drive technical topics and decisions, analyzing the problem space and providing solutions.
- Contribute to technical strategy and work with other engineers to define, iterate and evolve our best practices in engineering.
What we are looking for
- You are proficient in a systems-level language like C, C++ or Rust.
- You are a team player with strong communication skills.
- You are able to listen to and incorporate others’ ideas into your solutions.
- You are a critical thinker and solve problems with solid analysis.
- You have experience with native cross-platform development and understand the challenges involved.
- You are experienced with automated testing and deployment.
- You are a generalist: flexible and adaptable when faced with different needs of varied projects and motivated to learn new technologies.
- You are organized, thorough and motivated to take projects from start to finish.
What makes you stand out
- You are experienced in Swift, Objective-C, Kotlin or C#.
- You have worked with Rust tools (Cargo, bindgen, Clippy, Rustfmt, etc.).
- Experience with fuzz testing and systematic performance measurements and testing.
- You have worked on real-time audio products or other creative tools.
- You have worked with game engine technology like Wwise, Unity, Unreal Engine, etc.
- You have experience with embedded systems.
- You mentor colleagues and actively contribute to improving your team.
We encourage potential candidates to apply who don't precisely match the job experience but have comparable backgrounds.
What We Offer
- A key role in a dynamic, deep-tech company and a highly-qualified international team building products we love.
- Working on cutting-edge technology with ample opportunity to bring in your own ideas, define the tools you want to use and improve the processes.
- Collaboration and deep involvement while designing products with real-world applications and constraints.
- The chance to work on multi-functional challenges that involve mechanical design, electronics and software.
- Collaborating with international tier-1 brands to enhance products that provide new and meaningful experiences for millions of people.
- A generous options package and long-term benefits from the company's success.
- A friendly and respectful culture.
- Located in Berlin’s vibrant Kreuzberg neighborhood with an office layout that supports creativity and innovation and also offers spaces for focused individual/deep work.
Our company is built on ideas from different fields – and different people. We pride ourselves on the wonderfully diverse team we’ve put together and are committed to an inclusive company culture as we expand and grow. We celebrate our differences and offer equal opportunity and consideration for employment regardless of gender identity, race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, marital status, disability, or age.
More insights into the work at Lofelt can be found on our blog at https://lofelt.com/blog. We look forward to receiving your application!