Site Manager, Bay Area
Local Laboratory was founded in May 2020 with a mission to empower local businesses and the people who love them. Our collective experience as a team ranges from building social and music apps to enterprise software to microprocessors to theme parks. We vibe with people who are curious, compassionate, and constantly looking to grow in their craft. Candidates who have an inclination to learn by doing will be particularly successful. We take our mission seriously, but find humor in most any situation.
Keep Oakland Alive is our first pilot, born out of a deep and pervasive feeling that we were being terrible people for buying things online while our neighborhood shops were starving for business.
keepoaklandalive.com allows you to shop all your favorite Oakland retail stores in one place. It doesn't matter if it's environmentally friendly toothpaste from Mudlab, a hoodie from Oaklandish, or some cumin from Oaktown Spice Shop -- you can put all your items into one easy shopping cart, buy them all at once, and have it all delivered to your door in one neat little package, within a few days. Sort of a hyper-local Amazon where you know that all your money is supporting your local businesses and all your dollars are staying in your local economy.
We are hiring for a Site Manager - the first of its kind - to take our fledgling marketplace to the next stage of maturity and scale.
Site Manager Responsibilities (Contract-to-hire)
- Grow the business in the Bay Area. You will be responsible for growing the number of merchants and customers on the Local Laboratory platform.
- Build and maintain relationships with shop owners.
- Manage processing and fulfillment of incoming orders on the Shopify platform — this includes both local delivery and shipping.
- Manage all aspects of operational activities. You will manage, train, and hire fulfillment team members to ensure superior service for both merchants and end customers.
- Handle customer service gracefully, with the goal of turning issues into opportunities to create lifelong evangelists.
- Use software to prepare optimized delivery routes for drivers.
- Build an inclusive culture.
- Travel to other cities may be involved.
General Manager Attributes
- Team player with excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Entrepreneur’s mentality. Local Laboratory SMs are self-starters and leaders within their community. They relish the opportunity to grow a business profitably.
- A passion for helping local businesses thrive, possibly rooted in prior experience as a local business owner.
- Exceptional attention to detail and knack for developing repeatable processes to ensure high-quality execution. Meaning, you double-check orders to make sure they’re right, and you also define processes to ensure that your team does.
- Be an active champion for Local Labs' values and mission.
- Be an active contributor in shaping and evolving our product.
- Strong interpersonal skills. Local Laboratory SMs build and manage strong relationships with their team, cross-functional colleagues, and external partners.
- Ability to spot trends and report key insights to all stakeholders.
- Your own vehicle
- Clean driving record
- Valid driver's license