Who we are?
We are Lobster Ink - a solutions company that helps some of the world’s most influential businesses navigate transformative change. Because people ultimately drive change, we develop training solutions that build their capability.
Our global team of 220+ Lobsters design award-winning digital products and produce recognised training content that provides 1 million+ people across 200 countries with the practical skills and knowledge needed to be great at what they do. We are brave, caring, tenacious, inventive and unconventional. We work with the biggest names in hospitality - our client list includes the likes of Marriott International, Hilton Worldwide, Waitrose and Partners and Dubai Tourism. We’re also proud to be part of Ecolab, the global leader in water, hygiene and energy technologies and services.
As our client list grows, so does our need for exceptional individuals to join our teams in Amsterdam, Cape Town, Washington and the world. This is where you come in.
What will you do in this role?
The primary role of the Instructional Designer is to support the Learning Solution Consultant (LSC) and the Lead Instructional Designer (LID) with key tasks and / or projects within the department to deliver high-quality learning solutions for clients. They will work closely with the Creative Director, Project Managers, and Team Leads for Production, Scriptwriting, and Design and Motion Graphics to ensure clients’ needs are met on time and at the highest level of quality.
What do you need to be great at?
Instructional Design tasks – the ability to complete for any project or course all the requirements of the Instructional Designer role as well as the tasks as identified in the Learning Workflow:
o Support the Lead Instructional Designers in briefing Scriptwriters and collaborate with Scriptwriters to fine-tune scripts, plus review and give feedback on scripts according to the Lobster Learning Science methodology
o Work with Learning Solutions Consultants and Lead Instructional Designers to gain stakeholder approval at key milestones in the Learning Workflow process
o Collaborate with Lead Instructional Designer and Producer/Project Manager on a project team to brainstorm and visualize the course for the different lesson types and the interactive activities
o Develop course learning assets (assessments; activity lessons; simulations; embedded and document lessons; demonstrations; interactive pdfs; facilitator guide; manuals; workbooks; answer books; job aids; etc) to promote learner engagement and/or assess learner knowledge
o Upload to learning platforms and publish to Preview Marketplace
o Perform project consolidation and sign off, plus participate in a team review process to ensure the successful launch of courses
o Perform quality assurance at key checkpoints during the Learning Workflow process
o Participate in course evaluations and internal initiatives to ensure continuous improvement in the department
o Assist Learning Administrator with CRM issues pertaining to courses
o Assist in Champion roles
o Work closely with Learning Solutions Consultants and Lead Instructional Designers to share ideas, best practices and client feedback
Onboarding and Training tasks – assist with the onboarding and training of new starters in the Instructional Design Department including the delivery of relevant training and providing ongoing support
- Technical skills:
- Proficiency in lesson development and storyboarding for a variety of lesson types
- Proficiency in designing and developing course learning assets such as facilitator guide; manuals; workbooks; answer books; job aids
- Proficiency in writing theory assessment questions and practical assessments checklists
- Experience working with an LMS or digital learning platform is preferred
- Experience working with Articulate 360 Storyline and Rise is preferred
- Communication skills:
o Excellent written and oral communication skills
o Excellent proofreading skills
- Learning Knowledge:
o Knowledge of theories and models for adult learning
o Understanding of varied learning styles
o Knowledge of assessment and evaluation methods
Who you are?
- Minimum 2 years of experience in the e-learning environment
- Instructional design related qualification
- Industrial Psychology qualification/Educational & or Vocational qualification
Why is this an amazing opportunity for you?
- We have an entrepreneurial culture where daily you have the opportunity to shape and influence in every role
- We are a global company and offer travel opportunities
- We work with the best from around the world – we have over 25 nationalities in our team
- We offer flexible hours from different locations
- We have an aggressive growth strategy which offers constant opportunities for growth
- We have a coffee culture – Bottomless coffee 24/7
- We make a difference by enabling potential in over 1 000 000 and counting users
To be an A player at Lobster Ink you need to embody the following attributes:
- Brave: At Lobster being brave means that you have the internal drive to progress the boundaries of your own capability, the courage to explore uncharted territory, and by expanding your perspective and stretching your capacity.
- Caring: To care means to listen, communicate, understand, dovetail, call out accountability and act in respect.
- Tenacious: At Lobster, we are relentless in the pursuit of our goals. We learn from setbacks, remain focused and never resign to mediocrity.
- Inventive: At Lobster, we believe that inventive willpower is a renewable resource that breeds when it's shared. Our solutions push past complexity and strive for simplicity.
- Purposeful: At Lobster, we act with intent. We are goal-oriented and experiment in a measured way to learn through experience. We are committed to continuous, iterative improvement for our customers and ourselves.
Together we remain humble but never the same. Distinctly Lobster.