Who we are?
We are Lobster Ink - a solutions company that helps some of the world’s most influential businesses navigate transformative change. Because people ultimately drive change, we develop training solutions that build their capability.
Our global team of 220+ Lobsters design award-winning digital products and produce recognised training content that provides 1 million+ people across 200 countries with the practical skills and knowledge needed to be great at what they do. We are brave, caring, tenacious, inventive and unconventional. We work with the biggest names in hospitality - our client list includes the likes of Marriott International, Hilton Worldwide, Waitrose and Partners and Dubai Tourism. We’re also proud to be part of Ecolab, the global leader in water, hygiene and energy technologies and services.
As our client list grows, so does our need for exceptional individuals to join our teams in Amsterdam, Cape Town, Washington and the world. This is where you come in.
What will you do in this role?
Initialising visual learning concepts with design and motion and overseeing the execution of these concepts with the motion design team. Mentoring and guiding team members to ensure project goals are achieved with the expected visual quality.
- Guide and nurture an attitude for world-class learning-centric motion & design learning content creation.
- Nurturing a curiosity about visual solutions for learning.
- Inspiration, motivation and morale of their design team.
- Ensure a culture of innovation and teamwork with the broader team that they work with in Lobster Ink, Ecolab and clients.
- Creativity and world-class work
- Quickly understand, analyse and respond to project briefs.
- Work with other Lobster Ink specialists to develop and deliver design solutions that promote learning.
- Create consistent, effective design assets for print, interactive and screen that fit client learning needs elegantly, and keeps Lobster Ink ahead of its competitors.
- Ensure the delivery of high quality motion and design learning assets on projects and support the team in the roll out of their work.
- Use their knowledge of Design and Motion to problem solve internal issues on projects where possible.
- Uphold and develop Lobster Ink and industry best practice standards.
- Confidently present concepts to Motion and Design Director and client when necessary.
- Lead the design deliverable of pitch projects and support the Motion and Design Director with creative input and presentation creation.
- Output Creation and Management
- Lead visual execution on concepts developed for learning content for Lobster Ink, and their client standards.
- Review quality output on projects before the final sign-offs and approvals.
- Understand and develop client brand standards and requirements to suit learning solutions.
- Identify and motivate new ways of working that improve the timing and delivery of motion & design outputs within projects.
- Confidently present creative solutions internally and externally.
- Understand and apply Lobster Ink learning and production standards.
- Provide feedback to the Motion and Design Director by reviewing the motion & design workflows to find optimisations and set new standards.
- Work in collaboration with other Design Leads and Creative Leads to ensure delivery of projects.
- Project Satisfaction
- Produce high-quality motion and design learning assets or content.
- Establish and nurture great teamwork between departments within Lobster Ink.
- Educate internal teams where necessary about Motion and Design processes to ensure an improved workflow.
- Represent Lobster Ink standards in work output and work etiquette.
- On-time, on-budget delivery of high quality work.
- Ensure the team are making optimal use of their time to deliver on their targets.
- Improve team output through Formal and On The Job training and guidance.
- Assistance in the implementation of the motion and design component of a Learning Design System.
Skills / Competencies
- Experience as either a Design Lead or Senior Designer with a proven track record.
- A love for creativity and a curiosity about how to use motion and design to solve communication obstacles or improve the transfer of knowledge.
- Experience and solid work in most if not all the following (the more the better): Illustration, branding design, motion graphics, branding for broadcast, digital design, design systems and interactive learning content design.
- Leadership experience and demonstrable leadership skills of a team of at least 5.
- Solid background in design, motion design or interactive design and an online portfolio available for viewing.
- Experience with large clients.
- Proactive, problem solving, positive attitude (you can rage to your HOD but not to your staff).
- The ability to manage and help others manage stress (see above).
- If not already well versed in the Foodie and Hospitality culture - willingness to dive in and thoroughly understand it.
- Ability to prioritise and create for multiple projects.
- Good time management skills.
- Experience with the Adobe Creative Suite of products (specifically Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign and After Effects), as well as G-Suite, Keynote, PowerPoint, iWork and other programs required for execution.
- A proficient Mac user.
- Strong logic, influence, negotiation and communication skills (written, verbal and presentation).
- Can build rapport, credibility and trust within a team locally and internationally.
- Organised, analytical, dynamic.
Personality traits / Behaviors
- Detail oriented
- Empathetic, yet aligned to goals
- Attentive to detail
- Eye for details in visual craft
- Professional in approach
- Ability to share their knowledge
Who you are?
- Matric and relevant tertiary qualification in design or similar
- 7 – 10 years’ industry-related work experience
- An individual portfolio of design work
Why is this an amazing opportunity for you?
- We have an entrepreneurial culture where daily you have the opportunity to shape and influence in every role
- We are a global company and offer travel opportunities
- We work with the best from around the world – we have over 25 nationalities in our team
- We have “wine down Fridays”
- We offer flexible hours from different locations
- We have an aggressive growth strategy which offers constant opportunities for growth
- We have a coffee culture – Bottomless coffee 24/7
- We make a difference by enabling potential in over 1 000 000 and counting users
To be an A player at Lobster Ink you need to embody the following attributes:
- Brave: At Lobster being brave means that you have the internal drive to progress the boundaries of your own capability, the courage to explore uncharted territory, and by expanding your perspective and stretching your capacity.
- Caring: To care means to listen, communicate, understand, dovetail, call out accountability and act in respect.
- Tenacious: At Lobster, we are relentless in the pursuit of our goals. We learn from setbacks, remain focused and never resign to mediocrity.
- Inventive: At Lobster, we believe that inventive willpower is a renewable resource that breeds when it's shared. Our solutions push past complexity and strive for simplicity.
- Purposeful: At Lobster, we act with intent. We are goal-oriented and experiment in a measured way to learn through experience. We are committed to continuous, iterative improvement for our customers and ourselves.
Together we remain humble but never the same. Distinctly Lobster.