Who we are?
We are Lobster Ink - a solutions company that helps some of the world’s most influential businesses navigate transformative change. Because people ultimately drive change, we develop training solutions that build their capability.
Our global team of 220+ Lobsters design award-winning digital products and produce recognised training content that provides 1 million+ people across 200 countries with the practical skills and knowledge needed to be great at what they do. We are brave, caring, tenacious, inventive and unconventional. We work with the biggest names in hospitality - our client list includes the likes of Marriott International, Hilton Worldwide, Waitrose and Partners and Dubai Tourism. We’re also proud to be part of Ecolab, the global leader in water, hygiene and energy technologies and services.
As our client list grows, so does our need for exceptional individuals to join our teams in Amsterdam, Cape Town, Washington and the world. This is where you come in.
What will you do in this role?
The Lobster Ink Cape Town office is looking for a powerhouse senior writer to join our Narrative team in a Lead Creative role. The successful candidate will inspire, motivate and challenge others as they lead creative brainstorming sessions, oversee the development and scripting of story-driven learning content, and direct actors on set as we capture world-class footage.
We expect the candidate to have a thorough understanding of new media content and the production of that content, with a particular focus on developing cutting-edge creative concepts, working with other writers, and directing talent in a production environment. This is a senior writer who can brainstorm efficiently and enthusiastically, collaborate with other project stakeholders, and get the best out of their team of writers. The candidate has worked in collaborative team environments before and has experience interacting with large clients.
Lobster Ink delivers learning to users on digital platforms and is rapidly scalable. The candidate will have a keen interest in technology and a vision for future-state content delivery.
If you’re looking to put your creative and strategic skills to work in an industry that truly does good for people, you’re hungry and will fit in at an international business that’s growing at a rapid pace, please ensure you meet the following criteria and apply with us.
Key Task & Responsibilities
- Dynamic team leader
- Creativity and world-class work
- Quickly understand, analyse and respond to client briefs
- Work with other Lobster Ink specialists to develop and deliver boundary-pushing learning concepts
- Work closely with the writers on developing story-driven concepts for delivering learning material
- Relentlessly pursue excellence in quality control
- Create consistent, beautiful, effective work
- Develop work that fits client needs elegantly and keeps Lobster Ink ahead of its competitors
- Lead the project-creation process alongside other department leads, and assume a lead role in project pitches, client meetings and presentations
- Steer, implement and communicate the creative concept for a specific course, including managing the creation of the project’s Treatment from a Narrative perspective
- Regularly review and apply trends and innovation in the media and learning spaces
- Uphold Lobster Ink and industry best-practice standards
- Output creation and management
- Drive conceptualisation processes – a significant portion of your focus will be placed on conceptualising course- and lesson-narratives with the writing team, bringing in specialists from other departments when needed
- Deliver best-practice Lobster scripts, and guide your team to deliver the same through reviewing, editing and collaborating on scripts
- Work with the production team to exceed Lobster’s and the client’s standards
- Constructively direct projects towards the final sign-offs and approvals
- Respect, understand and develop client brand standards and requirements
- Identify and motivate new ways of working that improve the timing and delivery of creative outputs
- Confidently present concepts, scripts, videos and other project assets to Creative Director and client
- Understand and apply Lobster Ink learning and production standards
- Regularly review the creative workflow to find optimisations and set new standards
- Manage production of the project from pre-production to delivery, and ensure that all work produced follows the course plan, undergoes the correct checks, and adheres to Lobster Ink’s standards – along with the Instructional Design and Project Management Leads
- Plan, lead, organise and control the project team in collaboration with leads from other departments so that project deliverables are met timeously
- Ensure consistency of creative delivery across all production-created assets of a course including video, print and interactive mediums
- Team satisfaction
- Mentorship, thought-leadership and inspiration around our creative output
- Display clarity of mission and expectations
- Motivation and morale
- Promote a culture of innovation and teamwork
- Client satisfaction
- Establish and nurture great client relationships
- Responsibly manage client expectations
- Inspire our clients with your work
- Represent Lobster Ink standards
- On-time, on-budget delivery of work
- Quality product with 0% errors
Skills, knowledge and attributes
- Degree/Diploma with a minimum of 5 years experience in a senior writing role
- Solid background in journalism, publishing, content, production or copywriting
- Experience with large clients
- Strong online portfolio, available for viewing
- A highly creative thinker who is confident, self-motivated, articulate and practical
- Strong leadership presence and skills
- Great logic, influence, negotiation and communication skills (written, verbal and presentation)
- Can build rapport, credibility and trust within a team locally and internationally
- Organised, analytical, dynamic
- Proactive, problem solving, positive attitude
- Good ability to manage and help others manage stress
- Possesses excellent attention to detail
- Can prioritise and manage multiple projects
- A passion for learning and technology
- Love of foodie and hospitality culture and standards
- Adept at working in an agile environment using new technology and platforms
- A proficient Mac user
- Experience with the Adobe Creative Suite of products (Premiere, Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign or After Effects) a bonus
Why is this an amazing opportunity for you?
- We have an entrepreneurial culture where daily you have the opportunity to shape and influence in every role
- We are a global company and offer travel opportunities
- We work with the best from around the world – we have over 25 nationalities in our team
- We have “wine down Fridays”
- We offer flexible hours from different locations
- We have an aggressive growth strategy which offers constant opportunities for growth
- We have a coffee culture – Bottomless coffee 24/7
- We make a difference by enabling potential in over 1 000 000 and counting users
To be an A player at Lobster Ink you need to embody the following attributes:
- Brave: At Lobster being brave means that you have the internal drive to progress the boundaries of your own capability, the courage to explore uncharted territory, and by expanding your perspective and stretching your capacity.
- Caring: To care means to listen, communicate, understand, dovetail, call out accountability and act in respect.
- Tenacious: At Lobster, we are relentless in the pursuit of our goals. We learn from setbacks, remain focused and never resign to mediocrity.
- Inventive: At Lobster, we believe that inventive willpower is a renewable resource that breeds when it's shared. Our solutions push past complexity and strive for simplicity.
- Purposeful: At Lobster, we act with intent. We are goal-oriented and experiment in a measured way to learn through experience. We are committed to continuous, iterative improvement for our customers and ourselves.
Together we remain humble but never the same. Distinctly Lobster.