This brand-new position at Community Radio for Northern Colorado (CRNC) is a Senior Executive and the highest-ranking content creation/management officer who holds overall responsibility for all content creation by KUNC and The Colorado Sound, and leads the content distribution strategy for multiple platforms. Responsible for the design, integrity and success of content, as well as overall editorial leadership, planning, presentation and supervision.
Serving as the “quality control” officer for daily content production while delegating direct management of such the Chief Audience & Content Officer’s eye will be toward how the daily work rolls up to the larger, longer-term strategic picture while serving as the lead for maintaining editorial integrity and establishing appropriate “firewalls” against interference with and/or compromise of the content-making units. This position is charged with growing the media enterprise (e.g. content offerings, audience consumption and loyalty and impact) in alignment with CRNC’s Strategic Plan, and being opportunistic to the surrounding industry climate.
This position provides intra- and inter-departmental coordination of CRNC’s journalism (digital and broadcast, magazine and talk shows, special projects, podcasts, etc.) and music service, as well as creative and curated media products. The CACO will oversee recruitment, management and direction of local content staff of both KUNC and The Colorado Sound and is responsible for over-arching staff skill development, motivating high performance and team building.
Who We Are Looking For:
We are seeking someone with a deep connection to the audience experience. You are an advocate for the listener first. You are extremely curious, reflective and story-seeking that goes beyond the traditional. You use data to help make decisions.
You are confident in your leadership and mentoring skills and have training in DEI that you fully embrace and are committed to being a positive, innovative C-Suite leader. You look at our content as not just “radio” content but ways to meet our listeners where they are. You are a builder. You enjoy creative hard work and mentorship that leads to exponential growth and positive community impact.
Who We Are:
Community Radio for Northern Colorado (CRNC), the parent organization to both Northern Colorado’s NPR Station, KUNC, and the non-commercial music service, The Colorado Sound aims to strengthen our communities by cultivating the mind and spirit - informing, inspiring and entertaining. To fully live up to this mission, we strive to include diverse voices and amplify those from groups that are rarely heard from in the media.
The KUNC News Team is a group of dedicated journalists, who are committed to telling the stories of our diverse communities, reflecting the people who live in those communities, and
amplifying their voices. We operate with a team mentality, creating engaging and
relevant content focusing on internal and external collaboration and experimenting in
content styles and distribution. KUNC is a news and information staple within northern Colorado, serving numerous rural, mountain and city communities for over 50 years.
Our non-commercial music service, The Colorado Sound, offers unique and diverse
music discovery programming. We are based in Northern Colorado but heard throughout the state, across the country, and around the world. The Colorado Sound brings the spirit and soul of Colorado to our listeners through a cross-genre mix of new music, familiar favorites, and regional standouts
Located in a pivotal location in one of the fastest-growing parts of the county on the front range of the incredible Rocky Mountains, you have day-access to world-class skiing, camping, biking, and hiking, as well as popular entertainment, educational and cultural institutions such as the Colorado Rockies and Denver Bronco games, the Denver Art Museum, and our beloved legendary music venues, including the famous Red Rocks Amphitheatre. Nearby Fort Collins is a growing destination city with a major university, a strong, growing food and cultural scene, and easy access to rafting, hiking, biking, and exploring.
- Design and execute strategies for expanding content offerings on both existing and emerging platforms, with an aim of attracting new audiences and deepening engagement with existing audiences;
- Deploy staff accordingly to meet audience needs across all platforms. Identify staff skills that need to be developed or acquired in order to execute on content strategies. Adjust staff complement and assignments to align with strategic goals;
- Design standards and procedures to acquire, coach, evaluate and hold accountable high quality content-making and content delivery talent. Be able to define, instruct and model excellence in both qualitative and quantitative terms. Be inspirational to the staff in fulfillment of CRNC’s vision and service mission;
- Directly craft the sound of KUNC through program and promotional selection and delivery using OES promotional concepts; responsible for directing all imaging on KUNC;
- Plan, prepare and monitor content production budgets;
- Keep an eye on “the big picture”; be capable of making difficult changes at every level of content making with transparency and input—but independent of special and/or overly narrow stakeholder interests;
- Oversee and direct all content production supervisors:
- KUNC Program/CRNC Operations Manager
- News Director, KUNC
- Program Director, The Colorado Sound
- Senior Producer, Colorado Edition
- This is a new position for CRNC, so your insight and input on additional direct reports will be expected;
- Serve as Executive Producer of KUNC’s daily news program, Colorado Edition;
- Serve as Executive Producer for all CRNC podcast production (currently KUNC has one limited run series);
- Serve as the point person for marketing (outside shop to design and distribute) to align both internal and external marketing and promotion with editorial priorities toward the goal of audience development, growth of service and delivering value to CRNC’s consumers;
- Stay ahead of trends in content-making, technology, and distribution;
- Provide operational support, creative assistance and personal participation to grow revenue, including grant writing and high-level solicitation. Provides input for on-air fundraising as “special programming”;
- Provide oversight for rules compliance with FCC, CPB, etc.
Knowledge, skills and abilities
We will consider and select from candidates who most clearly demonstrate the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
In the context of the continuing massive changes digital is having on availability and use of media, display ability to project CRNC’s needs out into the long-term future; see and understand future trends in media, in related fields and the world, and the impact on CRNC’s journalism and music content, and;
- Is a big picture person;
- Has a learning orientation, including demonstrated methods for gathering, assimilating and making meaning out of information about the changing media, technology and demographic landscape;
- Balances vision with doing;
- Is able to enroll others in working together to execute vision;
- Is well informed/capable of media & audience data analysis with ability to deploy the knowledge gained to achieve improvement goals.
Possess deep knowledge of and experience in journalism development and implementation in a modern media environment, and ability to provide general oversight of music and special content services; possess knowledge of how to effectively present content to current Core audience and emerging new audience, on-air, online and on-demand, and:
- Deep knowledge of and commitment to the tenets, ethics and “commandments” of journalism – the role of journalism in society, including as having organizational courage and serving as a watchdog of the civic sphere;
- Lead content making for both our Triple A music service and news service that has meaning, purpose and toughness, while moving forward in new, fresh and relevant ways;
- Demonstrate ideas and ability to diversify audience appeal, including ethnic, age and education level;
- Excited about and already engaged in creating the future of journalism and community-building on all platforms - possess knowledge of interactive media, publishing and other electronic information and emerging communication technologies;
- Understand and committed to community engagement - model/lead an “outside/in” approach to CRNC content making, integrating community input into CRNC’s editorial strategy; always (always) Audience First;
- Have knowledge of regulatory governance and rights management regulations in the electronic media industry;
- Be the “drill sergeant” on journalism basics.
We seek a sophisticated, externally focused, experienced and mission-driven individual, with rock solid integrity and a mature set of leadership and management abilities, who will grow and maintain a positive, aligned internal culture at CRNC and keep the organization improving in effectiveness in serving the people of our region, who also:
- Puts the mission and success of CRNC first;
- Shows experience in strategic business planning, project management, building strategic alliances/”deal brokering”—ability to develop strategies to ensure the long-term success of CRNC;
- Shows up – in the community and with the staff;
- Is a fair, powerful team leader and builder, to make the organization highly effective at serving its mission;
- Has great people skills including being able to flex style – comfortable and effective at dealing with a wide range of stakeholders – from our smallest communities to regional legislative, business and community leaders;
- Demonstrated effectiveness with respecting and growing diversity, both within the institution and in the community;
- Is politically savvy and diplomatic – an effective advocate both within the organization and in the community;
- Is responsible for building and serving as the main point of contact for our Community Advisory Council.
Focuses on desired results and sets and achieves challenging goals.
- Show ability to plan, organize and implement programming activities and work effectively within a timeline;
- Identifies and meets with appropriate parties to develop an understanding of the project goals and desired outcomes;
- Develops and utilizes measures to assess goal attainment and outcome achievement;
- Utilizes tools and techniques to ensure projects remain on target and on budget;
- Demonstrates a flexible approach to work and projects to achieve cost-savings and to attain goals;
- Effectively engages team members’ participation in achieving goals by identifying strengths of members and assigning tasks based on strengths.
Problem Solving and Decision Making:
Expert decision-maker, who:
- Has the ability to prioritize and determine significance of a particular issue, understands who to include in the problem-solving process, and knows what and how much information is needed;
- Is able to effectively analyze and use data in the decision-making process, and will make decisions in a timely matter;
- Is good at follow-through - clearly communicates decision, designs and administers effective execution, with appropriate pre-determined success measures and time-posts;
- Has level of personal strength to stick by decisions and/or know when a change of direction is needed.
Innovation and creativity:
Through a combination of knowledge and insights about CRNC and the context it operates in, is able to generate significant organizational improvements in terms of improved or new services, and/or improved internal processes, and:
- Has the desire, persistence and resourcefulness to make things happen;
- Has a focus on growing the organization through leveraging our brands and good names, seeking new ways to serve our audience;
- Is an agile, out-of-the-box thinker with a focus on innovative models and conquering challenges, who sees possibilities even in the face of severe difficulties;
- Helps develop and maintain a culture within CRNC that encourages innovation, including allowing room for occasional failures;
- Is action-oriented, entrepreneurial and adaptable, with innovative approaches to programming;
- Is personally creative and able to act on that creativity;
- Is a good learner, and is not risk adverse (though also knows when to stop an unsuccessful venture).
Through excellent communication and management skills, the CACO creates a cohesive team environment and will:
- Demonstrate an ability to establish and maintain cooperative and effective internal working relationships with coworkers and work effectively in collaboration across teams, as well as similarly effective external relationships that leverage our work and provide value to CRNC and our audience.
- Have the ability to evaluate existing and potential external partnerships for their value/ROI, to create and maintain and grow those that are truly synergistic;
- Understand and champion appropriate internal intersections between content making, marketing and fundraising;
- Understand resource development and possess a propensity for collaboration without compromising editorial integrity;
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Chief Audience & Content Officer.
A persuasive and passionate communicator with outstanding interpersonal skills, skilled at minimizing conflict and able to inspire subordinates and coworkers, and:
- Have comfort with and command of the range of communication channels, including speaking, writing and social media;
- Is demonstrated to be a skillful listener;
- Is inspiring and respectful, connecting in a real way with people;
- Is an effective spokesperson for the organization.
- Possess group presentation skills (to teams, station staff, Board of Directors, public/community, industry gatherings, etc.).
- Deployment, management and oversight of a portion of CRNC’s operating budget.
- Leadership and oversight of four full-time staff + possibility of some hourly and contract assignment employees.
- Responsible for direction and oversight of more than 17,000 hours annually of broadcast content (2 channels) plus all digital platform and digitally delivered content.
- Minimum six years’ experience in radio media or a related industry.
- Minimum five years’ increasingly responsible management/leadership experience.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Must reside in Colorado.
- CRNC is requiring proof of COVID vaccination and boosters for all staff.
- Demonstrated understanding of programming principles, audience research, operational methods, FCC rules, and the opportunities and challenges of issues facing a disrupted and dis-intermediated media environment, particularly for public broadcasting.
- Past track record of diversifying a content-making team toward greater inclusion/representation of the community served.
- Have an understanding of the history and mission of public broadcasting, be attuned to its current defining differences and areas for improvement;
- Triple A music experience helpful.
CRNC has retained Livingston Associates to assist in this search. For consideration, please submit a resume and a letter of introduction including your vision for the future of public media and CRNC and why you will be the ideal person to lead the organization in achieving that vision, including how you would put DEI concepts into programming practice.
Inquiries are welcome with Livingston Associates at (410) 243-1974.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
- The work environment will be at the Greeley office when not remote as approved or required to deliver on the position duties.
- The Greeley office environment: 24/7 locked building accessible by FOB with overhead lighting with low-to-moderate noise levels.
- Prolonged periods of remaining in a stationary position.
- The ability to frequently operate a computer and other office productivity machinery such as a laptop, office printer, telephones, etc.
- The ability to frequently and professionally communicate with listeners, donors, applicants, co-workers, and industry colleagues, via telephone, email, Slack, and other means of communication as needed/required per your position.
We offer competitive salaries and generous benefits including:
- Salary: $95,000 - $110,000
- Health, dental and vision care with one plan that provides 100% of premiums for employee paid by employer.
- Employer-provided Life & AD&D as well as Short-term and Long-term disability insurance.
- 403b retirement with company match after one month of employment.
- 14 paid holidays plus sick leave.
- Maternity/paternity/partner/adoption leave.
- Flexible work environment with some remote work possible in most situations.
KUNC and The Colorado Sound are an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourage and respect diversity in the workplace.