Rocky Mountain Public Media, Inc. (RMPM) is the parent company of Rocky Mountain PBS, KUVO Jazz and The Drop. Over a million Coloradans turn to Rocky Mountain PBS, KUVO Jazz and The Drop to discover provocative and inspiring local, national and international programming; find diverse viewpoints; score front row center seats to world-class performances; and experience lifelong learning opportunities every month.
The Program Director will be an enthusiastic and dedicated team player who is responsible for the on-air sound of KUVO Jazz with the General Manager, including helping to determine, implement, and supervise multiple shows and formats. The Program Director is an integral part of KUVO Jazz's station management team, reporting directly to the General Manager and supervising a team of Programming Staff.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversees daily operations of KUVO Jazz, supervises personnel, and is responsible for overall broadcast programming.
- Helps develop and implement the vision of what the station should be and whom it will serve in the community.
- Articulates the station's vision and helps the staff understand their role in achieving that vision.
- Designs and executes the station's sound and program schedule, making it the best possible service for our listeners.
- Manages the KUVO Jazz Programming Staff (including but not limited to Music Director, Music Producer, On-Air Hosts) and volunteers; maintains working relationship with all departments within the station. Meets with Programming Staff weekly.
- Monitors and provides constructive feedback on the station sound to all on-air hosts.
- Conducts air checks with on-air staff.
- Conducts audience research, analyzes and prepares reports showing who listens, when, and for how long.
- Communicates and responds to station listeners needs.
- Monitors trends, legislation and regulations that are relevant to the program's mission and makes program and advocacy recommendations to the General Manager and leadership team.
- Implements community news features into station's format to increase audience.
- Supervises all special features, programs and remote broadcasts.
- Hosts all air shifts as needed.
- Previews programs for inclusion into current and future program schedule, including second channel streaming and HD Broadcast channels.
- Consults and works with Production Director in establishing production priorities.
- Helps coordinate and produce station promotional and on-air fundraising activities including on-air promotions.
- Consults and works with Music Director in establishing music library database priorities and musical consistency of the sound.
- Coordinates all on-air fundraising workshops with Development Director. Works with Membership Services to produce and execute on-air membership campaigns
- Collaborates with the Marketing Department in coordinating and providing content for the web site.
- Works directly with national program network services and producers.
- Works with the GM on budgetary matters.
- Serves as back up to the General Manager for all official designated duties.
Minimum Qualifications of Position
- High school diploma or GED
- Minimum of five years' experience in radio programming and management service.
Additional Qualifications of Position
- Innovative and creative broadcaster with strong leadership and motivational skills.
- Demonstrative track record of leadership in building audiences through effective radio programming.
- Manages multiple priorities and brings new concepts to fruition.
- Possesses excellent management and communication skills with the ability to work in a highly collaborative work environment.
- Knowledge of music formats with an emphasis on jazz and Latino music.
- Awareness of minority community affairs is vital.
- Evaluation and utilization of Public Radio research findings to maintain and increase audience is essential.
- Ability to represent KUVO's interest to select partners, communities, National organizations, and other public service organizations.
PROCEDURE FOR APPLICATION:
Persons interested in this position should submit the following items:
- A cover letter detailing how the applicant's qualifications fit the needs of RMPM and information on how the applicant found out about the job opening.
- A resume detailing education, training, and employment experience.
KUVO is being assisted in this search by Livingston Associates.
Inquiries are welcome with Livingston Associates at (410) 243-1974.
Rocky Mountain Public Media embraces diversity and equal opportunity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. As such, Rocky Mountain Public Media does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.