WDSE/WRPT, Public Television has been serving the Duluth Superior community and surrounding region for over 57 years. We are expanding our media services to the north land! We are currently seeking a station manager for the upcoming acquisition of public radio station, KUMD. This local, eclectic music and information station that has been serving this same community for more than 60 years.
Our new station leader will collaborate and lead programming and operations of KUMD as a member of the senior management team of WDSE, as well as facilitate the transition and integration process, with long term goals of managing the local ownership of the asset through growth of and sustaining the unique flavor of the service.
Reporting to the president and general manager, the radio station manager will provide programming vision and guidance to ensure the sustainability and significance of the service. This is a leadership level position for an individual who has experience supervising staff and managing operations of public and/or community radio stations, or a similar public service enterprise. The person in this position will support the vision, mission, and strategic plan of the enterprise, and ensure compliance with Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB), Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and other applicable standards and guidelines, as well as the organization’s overall branding objectives. The radio station manager will work collaboratively with stakeholders to maximize impact, revenue, contributions, budgeting process, and provide financial analysis and forecasts as needed. The radio station manager will set the tone of the station with ultimate responsibility for the performance and accountability of station activities, and through supporting and coaching station staff and volunteers, ensure necessary skills to perform responsibilities at the highest level of professionalism and competency. As the lead in this area, we will be counting on the radio station manager to stay current with strategic industry and competitive information as it applies to the operation of the service.
This is a full-time Duluth-based position and is part of the leadership management team. We will consider candidates who most clearly demonstrate these essential skills and characteristics:
Knowledge of and experience with media, trends in technology and consumption of media, including:
- A high level of understanding of dynamics, issues and trends in public and community radio (including the need to continue growth as an already community engaged, essential local institution), and the ability to lead this station in this area;
- If coming from outside public or community radio, deep commitment to and knowledge of public and community radio (listener, supporter); and
- Is technologically competent, comfortable with and aware of digital and social media, while keeping abreast of and current with all different platforms.
Highly developed public and private interpersonal and communication skills, with an open, engaging style, including:
- Comfort with and command of the range of communication channels, including speaking, writing and social media;
- Being a skillful listener;
- Is inspiring and respectful, connecting in a real way with people;
- Is an effective spokesperson for the organization.
A highly energetic person who is inspired by the direction and public service mission of public media:
- Has authentic enthusiasm for and commitment to the heritage and future of public media with the emphasis on radio’s potential, including as a source for local content, and for developing and deploying new and innovative service delivery mechanisms;
- Communicates passion in a way that engages others and generates action by staff, the larger organization and community, including potential funders.
The dramatic changes in media and the heritage of staff, volunteer, and community calls for someone who has a high level of adaptability and who:
- Has a solid sense of self and able to be flexible;
- Is creative;
- Adapts positively and easily to change;
- Actively solicits new ideas and opinions.
Understands and is excited about collaboration on the generation of financial resources for public radio, with a demonstrated track record, knowledge of and expert at the radio station manager role in fundraising and resource development, who is:
- Comfortable with donation solicitation;
- Strong as mission spokesperson and in relationship management;
- Has understanding of fundraising strategies and methods in public media (membership, underwriting, and major and planned giving) and beyond;
- Able to maintain and grow organizational fundraising capacity, and able to move beyond reliance on transactional membership-based revenues into philanthropic fundraising, including identifying and dealing with internal cultural and operational blocks to success with major donor and planned giving efforts.
The leader we seek will:
- Maintain and grow this public radio’s presence in the region, has personal qualities the community can connect with, and over time become an active participant and recognized leader in our region;
- Have a high level of energy for the travel involved in visiting/connecting the region, as well as authentic enthusiasm for the geographic and demographic diversity of the area, from Duluth to the farthest reaches of our region;
- Is comfortable and effective with a wide range of people, including at high levels (and being seen as peer) of civic leadership in the region;
- Demonstrates a record of community engagement and collaboration, and of developing partnerships with individuals and organizations.
Inspiring, respectful, collaborative, highly competent manager of people and operations, who:
- Creates and maintains an effective, diverse, cross-functional culture of engaged paid and volunteer staff within the radio station.
- Adjusts their style as needed, collaborating, enrolling, delegating and directing as required by the situation;
- Clearly communicates our public media shared mission and goals and holds self and staff accountable for results while not micromanaging;
- Has solid operations and financial management skills, including building and operating within a budget.
Diversity/ Equity/ Inclusion:
Clear commitment to and proven record growing Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the workplace and in audiences and communities we serve, as well as:
- High level expertise in best practices (such as understanding and addressing implicit bias and microaggression, creating an inclusive workplace and promotion of civility);
- Cultural fluency, awareness and empathy – respect for values, treating people as individuals and using different perspectives, and with experience in other cultures;
- Expert at diversity-focused hiring practices, from position announcements to recruiting and interviewing;
- Lifelong learner – adapting to context, openness, curiosity, tolerance for ambiguity.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Recruit, develop and retain a team of highly engaged employees in an accountable yet collaborative environment;
- Manage staff, prepare work schedules, and assign specific duties. Supervise, coach, and motivate the radio team;
- Protect the FCC licenses of our broadcast property by operating in full compliance with local and federal laws, CPB policies, FCC policies, and WDSE policies;
- Oversee programming and other activities related to fundraising and audience growth;
- Develop and maintain station budget and other performance data;
- Establish and implement operational policies, goals, objectives, and procedures;
- Represent the organization with various clients and at local and national conferences and events;
- Collaborate with the leadership team on all aspects of station operations including programming, production, development, promotion and engineering;
- Manage terrestrial, satellite, and Internet, and radio broadcast operations;
- Serve as first contact to national networks and content distributors;
- Develop and implement on-air and online promotional strategy, campaigns and assets that maximize listening and impact for broadcast and digital properties;
- Lead, assign, and supervise the creation of promotional content;
- Oversee web and mobile asset creation, harmonizing online and on-air content strategies;
- Oversee content creation teams for elevating engagement with existing and potential audiences in measurable ways and launching new programs as necessary;
- Partner with others in the organization to develop strategies and tactics that diversify, grow, and engage audiences, especially audiences that have been traditionally underrepresented;
- Work with the development team on short- and long-term planning, as well as specific agendas for fundraising and membership engagement; including, participation in station fundraising activities, and working with membership and development staff in the creation of fundraising themes and messaging.
- The successful candidate must have a proven record of managing organizations and supervising staff, as well as a college degree or comparable combination of education and experience.
- Proven management experience.
- Must have the ability to attract and retain talent, inspire, and build teams. Knowledge of emerging technologies is important.
- Must be available and flexible with a workweek schedule and be based in Duluth.
- High energy, collaborative, roll-up-your-sleeves leader with a high level of personal and organizational integrity and ethics.
- Track-record of developing and executing multi-platform programming strategies (radio/digital).
- Operating budget supervision and experience.
- Operations knowledge, analytic abilities, and problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge of audio, and digital engineering practices and operations.
- Knowledge of digital content production process, both from a technical and talent perspective.
- Ability and willingness to delegate effectively and to hold direct reports accountable.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and sensitivity towards working in a culturally diverse community.
- Proven track-record of team building and working across teams to achieve goals and the highest level of performance.
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer service.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills with experience and comfort interacting extensively with senior management.
Competitive salary and benefits package, commensurate with experience.
WDSE/WRPT is being assisted in this search by Livingston Associates. For consideration, please submit a resume, letter of introduction including how you will be the ideal person to lead the organization going forward.
For best consideration, applications must be received by October 17, 2021
WDSE • WRPT is an equal employment opportunity employer. WDSE • WRPT does not discriminate against employees or applications on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, citizenship status, disability, medical condition, genetic predisposition or carrier status, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or any other characteristic protected by applicable local, state or federal law.