Reporting to the chief progress officer (CPO), the director of corporate support is responsible for attaining station budget goals and maximizing the station’s corporate sales revenues. This is achieved by implementation of systems and overall market strategy, the sales manager’s own direct sales and the overall support and management of the local sales team. Our underwriting partners support The Public’s Radio because of a shared belief in the value of our programming and mission, and an understanding that their support can help them reach potential customers and clients.
The Public’s Radio is a non-profit public service journalism institution, providing public media news and other programs to Rhode Island and Southeastern Massachusetts.
- Meet or exceed the market sales goal on a monthly basis
- Implement the sales management systems on a consistent basis
- Follow the procedures for setting individual salesperson and station budget goals for digital and broadcast sales
- Meet established deadlines for reporting and projections
- Effective evaluation of market performance and development of action items to maximize revenue potential in the market
- Hold weekly goal meetings with sales staff to review sales pacing, results and activity
- Coach reps on personal and individual account development and systems / procedures
- Reinforce, coach, encourage and keep the reps involved in training ideas and systems
- Be invested in each team member’s personal success in addition to that of the overall department
- Monitor, manage & motivate sales staff to meet or exceed individual account goals
- Be available, willing & resourceful in assisting staff on sales presentations and calls
- Meet or exceed individual monthly sales goals
- Develop new business
- Build and maintain strong relationships with businesses, organizations and agencies
- Strive to sell in a way that is consistent with station standards and practices, in a way that is respectful of both the client and the audience
- Represent team in a manner that meets goals and strengthens the relationship between departments
- Build and maintain a positive working relationship between employees
- Manage the relationship with the internal departments in a manner that projects and wins confidence
- Represent the station in a manner that meets with the station's market image
- Understand and meet all FCC guidelines
- Follow station guidelines regarding:
- Copy approval
- Copy and traffic deadlines
- Account receivables and collections
- Attend and participate in weekly team meetings and other meetings as necessary
- Represent station at events as needed
- On-air fundraising as requested
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of local market including decision makers, local events and key accounts
- Understands and uses industry tools such as Arbitron and Tapscan
- Highly motivated and creative, with knowledge of required sales skills and willingness to grow through training and embrace new techniques and ideas
- Highly organized, with strong time management skills and excellent attention to detail
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Strong customer service skills
- Thorough understanding of media planning and sales
- Effective time management skills, with ability to manage multiple tasks and clients simultaneously.
- Computer proficient, with spreadsheet, word processing, presentation and CRM experience
- Strong judgement, sense of ethics, integrity and accountability.
- Flexibility and positivity; ability to adapt in a changing environment
- Passion for and knowledge of public media and its mission.
- Sense of humor and dedication to professionalism
- Bachelor’s degree in with five or more years sales management experience and a minimum of 10 years media sales experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the primary responsibilities of the job
- Demonstrated success of cultivating, managing, and retaining new business
- Availability for occasional evening and weekend hours
Compensation includes base salary and bonus opportunities. The Public’s Radio is an EEO provider and committed to fostering diversity in the workplace. Position open until filled.