Senior Software Engineer, Big Data Activation
LiveRamp is the leading data connectivity platform. We believe connected data has the power to change the world. Our platform powers insights and experiences centered around the needs of real people, and in ways that keep the Internet open for all. LiveRampers thrive on building together with curiosity and humility—and have a good bit of fun along the way. We’re always looking for smart, kind, and creative people to grow our team and impact.
Mission: LiveRamp makes it safe and easy for businesses to use data effectively.
The Big Data Activation team is responsible for the main data delivery pipeline of the LiveRamp platform. The team processes tens of thousands of batch requests per day, ranging in size from GBs to tens of TBs, and provides detailed monitoring, statistics, error recovery, and resiliency to power this core product.
The team is in the process of developing the next generation API for more generic and intuitive configurations for delivery, and re-architecting the interactions between sub-components to better modularize and generalize the core delivery system of the LiveRamp platform to power novel use cases and to scale more effectively.
The team codes in Java and utilizes Docker for containerization, Kubernetes for deployment, the Google Cloud Platform for infrastructure and managed services (eg. Databases, Pub/Sub, Dataproc), and Cadence for workflow orchestration, among other open source technologies.
- Work collaboratively in a small team of engineers to scale a system processing petabytes of data every day.
- Help shape the future of our big data technology platform.
- Infuse industry best practices into our team processes and development practices.
- Assist in architectural design and implementation of our systems and interfaces.
- Develop our data processing pipelines using technology such as Spark, Dataproc, and Kubernetes.
- Research and experiment strategies to optimize the performance and efficiency of petabytes of data processing.
- Foster a positive environment of integrity, empowerment, initiative, and teamwork.
- Provide operational support for our team’s production systems.
- Share the remarkable work of our Activations team with the world through tech talks, blog posts, whitepapers, and conference participation.
- Learn and grow in your role and career.
Your team will:
- Experiment with and leverage new open source technology to build highly scalable distributed workflow orchestration and data processing systems (check out https://cadenceworkflow.io/ for a recent example).
- Define and iterate on LiveRamp’s next generation of platform APIs to expose complex data processing functionality in intuitive interfaces.
- Help define and drive forward the architectural vision of the LiveRamp platform.
- Design, optimize, improve, and maintain multiple different big data applications/products.
- Extract the highest value and most useful features from the Google Cloud Platform to ensure that our applications are scalable, cost-effective, and maintainable.
- 3+ years of experience writing and deploying high-quality production code.
- Solid Java or Scala programming skills.
- Have made significant and meaningful development contributions to team projects involving distributed systems operating at scale.
- Communication skills to share highly technical information with technical and non-technical teammates.
- Deeply inquisitive. Always asking why we do things and how we can do them better.
- Thrive in a collaborative environment.
- Demonstrated ability to build sustainable technical solutions that verifiably meet specific, well-defined business requirements.
- Experience with big data systems that process petabytes of data.
- Experience with GCP, Kubernetes, Dataproc, Cadence, or Spark.
- People: Work with talented, collaborative, and friendly people who love what they do.
- Fun: We host in-person and virtual events such as game nights, happy hours, camping trips, and sports leagues.
- Work/Life Harmony: Flexible paid time off, options for working from home, and paid parental leave.
- Whole Health Package: Medical, dental, vision, and disability insurance. Plus mental health support (via Talkspace) and a fitness reimbursement up to $100 per month.
- Savings: Our 401K matching plan—1:1 match up to 6% of salary—helps you plan ahead (U.S. LiveRampers)
- RampRemote: A comprehensive office equipment and ergonomics program—we help you set up your home office (Home-based LiveRampers)
- Location: work in the heart of *San Francisco* and/or from home (remote-eligible roles)
More about us:
LiveRamp’s mission is to connect data in ways that matter, and doing so starts with our people. We know that inspired teams enlist people from a blend of backgrounds and experiences. And we know that individuals do their best when they not only bring their full selves to work but feel like they truly belong. Connecting LiveRampers to new ideas and one another is one of our guiding principles—one that informs how we hire, train, and grow our global team across nine countries and four continents. Click here to learn more about Diversity, Inclusion, & Belonging (DIB) at LiveRamp.
LiveRamp is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer (AA/EOE/W/M/Vet/Disabled) and does not discriminate in recruiting, hiring, training, promotion or other employment of associates or the awarding of subcontracts because of a person's race, color, sex, age, religion, national origin, protected veteran, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetics or other protected status. Qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for the position in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
To all recruitment agencies: LiveRamp does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, LiveRamp employees or any other company location. LiveRamp is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.