We design. We build. We code. We think. We craft. We engineer. We teach. We learn. We invent.
At littleBits, we’re on a mission to democratize hardware by empowering everyone to create inventions, large and small, with our platform of easy-to-use electronic building blocks. And we believe this mission starts with you. When you join the team, you’ll enter a workspace that encourages innovation, creative expression, teamwork and transparency. We also encourage spontaneous sing-a-longs, furry friends, roaming robots, and lots of laughs. If you are genuinely excited about our mission, and about working with a smart, dedicated and talented group of inventors, artists, and doers, we want you on our team!
If you share our insatiable drive to make things better, you may be the Senior Mechanical Engineer we want on our mission to get the world inventing. We are looking for a dynamic and talented individual who will lead the mechanical design, development and testing for all littleBits products.
WHAT YOU’LL DO AS THE SENIOR MECHANICAL ENGINEER:
Lead product design, development and testing activities:
- Design and review mechanical parts and systems to uphold drafting standards and engineering best practices
- Create specifications for mechanical systems; validate and demonstrate adherence to those specifications
- Research and evaluate system level components
- Mentor, delegate and review work assignments of junior and staff team members
- Work with other senior engineers to architect future products at a system level
- Work closely with electrical and manufacturing engineering teams to design at a system level
- Lead products through alpha, beta, and engineering build cycles
- Develop documentation for other engineers, technicians, production, and customers
- Research and drive next generation technologies
- Participate in recruiting and retention
- Research and specify system level components like motors, bearings, materials, and fasteners
- Write and execute test plans at the design and production phases
- Manage efforts directly with Contract Manufacturers to design parts for manufacturability and quality.
- Lead interactions with other product development teams in ensure compliance to all quality and regulatory requirements throughout product development lifecycle: participate in design reviews, DFMEA’s, safety reviews, design for manufacturability, and produce necessary documentation and protocols to ensure that all quality requirements are met and maintained.
- Develop and manage product test requirements and procedures to satisfy engineering and market requirements
- Create technical reports including summaries and statistical analysis of tests being performed
- Knowledgeable and experienced with material and process selection; DFM/DFA
THE SKILLS/EXPERIENCE YOU’LL NEED TO BE THE SENIOR MECHANICAL ENGINEER:
- Mechanical Engineering degree or equivalent
- 5+ years mechanical design experience
- Experience with SolidWorks or similar 3D CAD tools
- Specific experience designing consumer or educational products
- Specific experience designing and qualifying Injection Molded plastic parts.
- Experience with GD&T
- Ability to present technical information and effectively communicate across all levels of the organization, including design verification and validation activities, production & process controls, Corrective & Preventive Action (CAPA), consumer complaints, and product improvement activities.
- Experience managing employees directly or indirectly
- Demonstrated understanding of product development lifecycles, design change and document change control, product and process verification and validation methodologies, and manufacturing / production process control methodologies.
- Possess the energy, passion, and enthusiasm to drive change.
- External Focus: understanding customer needs, industry trends, and the competitive landscape in the industry.
- Clear thinker: Simplifying strategy into specific actions with clear accountability, making decisions with speed & accuracy based on best available information and communicating priorities clearly & concisely.
- Demonstrated collaboration, negotiation & conflict resolution skills, ability to lead, acknowledge, develop, communicate and implement a strategy to ensure compliance.
- Experience in an electronic toy company
- Experience using SmartSheets, Jira or similar task tracking tools
- Experience with Arena or similar PLM or PDM tools.
- Experience designing for a variety of rapid prototyping technologies, including FDM, SLA, SLS, and Polyjet.
- Experience in a variety manufacturing technologies for consumer products other than plastic injection molding.
- Six Sigma Black Belt a plus
THE PERKS YOU’LL ENJOY AS THE SENIOR MECHANICAL ENGINEER:
- Being part of an awesome team that keeps playful inventing at the heart of all we do
- Sweeping views of the Hudson, a tricked-out office and fully stocked kitchen. We're listed as one of the top 11 office spaces in the US
- All the oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzers, microscopes, microchips, soldering irons, laser cutters, 3D printers, craft supplies and googly eyes you could ever want
- Benefits including medical, dental, vision, commuter checks, FSA, paid family leave and 401(K) with an abbreviated waiting period
- Stock options that go along with a high-growth, well-funded startup
- Flexible working hours and unlimited sick days
- Generous vacation policy