We design. We build. We code. We think. We craft. We engineer. We teach. We learn. We invent.
At littleBits, we’re on a mission to democratize hardware by empowering everyone to create inventions, large and small, with our platform of easy-to-use electronic building blocks. And we believe this mission starts with you. When you join the team, you’ll enter a workspace that encourages innovation, creative expression, teamwork, and transparency. We also encourage spontaneous sing-a-longs, furry friends, roaming robots, and lots of laughs. If you are genuinely excited about our mission, and about working with a smart, dedicated and talented group of inventors, artists, and doers, we want you on our team!
We have worked with some of the most loved brands in the world, such as Disney, Star Wars, MoMA, NASA and others. We are widely recognized through a variety of toy and design awards: Fastco, Good, IDSA, etc. We are big enough to take bold steps and put millions of dollars behind campaigns, but small enough to offer you the opportunity to be experimental, bold, and innovative. We need a highly creative, experienced, self-starter to propel the company to the next level.
WHAT YOU'LL DO AS CREATIVE DIRECTOR:
- Take a known and loved brand among kids, adults, designers and tinkerers. Continue to style and brand language to execute against it while expanding beyond it.
- Communicate the brand both internally and externally and clearly articulate a compelling vision and strategy for how the brand can grow.
- Ideate new concepts for branding, advertising campaigns and marketing messages.
- You’ll need to be both visionary and also able to roll up your sleeves and make stuff happen.
- Take a leadership role in the growth of a not so small superstar team. Help to manage resourcing, scheduling, timing.
- Excite the team and Inspire amazing design.
- Make decisions on final copy, final art, final marketing campaigns.
- Oversee photography and illustration.
- Manage small and large budgets. Oversee big and bold campaigns and agencies.
- Initiate, build and manage relationships with external vendors as needed.
- Analyze trends, look at new data and apply knowledge against executions.
- Recruit, mentor and retain the best creative talent.
- Innovate across mediums: physical, digital, experiential, social, etc
SKILLS/EXPERIENCE YOU'LL NEED AS CREATIVE DIRECTOR:
- An intimate understanding of design, typography, style.
- Mastery of design execution, from physical items (such as packaging and POP) to digital (such as app and website design).
- Excellent leadership skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- A strong understanding of brand development and multichannel marketing concepts.
- Comfort interacting with clients and internal staff alike.
- Strong persuasive skills.
- Degree in relevant field.
- 10+ year minimum related experience.
- 4+ year experience leading a team of 5 or more.
- Careful attention to detail and good organization skills.
- Strong project management skills.
- Ability to deliver high-quality projects on time and on budget in a deadline-oriented environment.
- Ability to juggle shifting priorities and multiple projects.
- Successful candidate will have a very strong portfolio showcasing excellent work that they did or directed across a variety of executions as mentioned above.
- Experience in retail environment / toys / children’s products an asset.
THE PERKS YOU’LL ENJOY AS CREATIVE DIRECTOR:
- Being part of an awesome team that keeps playful inventing at the heart of all we do
- Sweeping views of the Hudson, a tricked-out office and fully stocked kitchen
- All the oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzers, microscopes, microchips, soldering irons, laser cutters, 3D printers, craft supplies and googly eyes you could ever want
- Benefits including medical, dental, vision, commuter checks, FSA and 401(K) with an abbreviated waiting period
- Stock options that go along with a high-growth, well-funded startup
- Flexible working hours and a generous sick day policy
- Generous vacation policy