We design. We build. We code. We think. We craft. We engineer. We teach. We learn. We invent.
At littleBits, we’re on a mission to democratize hardware by empowering everyone to create inventions, large and small, with our platform of easy-to-use electronic building blocks. And we believe this mission starts with you. When you join the team, you’ll enter a workspace that encourages innovation, creative expression, teamwork and transparency. We also encourage spontaneous sing-a-longs, furry friends, roaming robots, and lots of laughs. If you are genuinely excited about our mission, and about working with a smart, dedicated and talented group of inventors, artists, and doers, we want you on our team!
If you share our insatiable drive to make things better, you may be the Quality Engineering Manager we want on our mission to get the world inventing. We are looking for a dynamic and talented individual who strives to build and lead all product quality initiatives for littleBits. This role reports directly to the VP of Operations.
WHAT YOU’LL DO AS THE QUALITY ENGINEERING MANAGER:
Lead product and manufacturing quality initiatives, including testing & reliability activities:
- Co-ordinate and manage allocation of quality resources and projects supporting company wide quality initiatives.
- Define, assign and manage process improvement plans using a variety of Quality and Continuous Process Improvement tools, including but not limited to Six Sigma, Lean Manufacturing, 5S, SPC, engineering studies, DOE, and Gauge R&R.
- Manage efforts directly with Contract Manufacturers to develop essential process and product inspection techniques and documentation in support of new product introductions, driving quality and cost of quality to world-class levels.
- Maintain accountability for analysis and reporting of customer centric data, developing effective metrics and RC/CA activities to improve product quality and customer satisfaction
- Work with CM to ensure availability of adequate quality staffing and inspection capabilities to support all product lines and supplier quality activities.
- Enhance and audit supplier quality & incoming inspection processes and procedures.
- Lead interactions with product development teams in ensure compliance to all quality and regulatory requirements throughout product development lifecycle: participate in design reviews, DFMEA’s, safety reviews, design for manufacturability, and produce necessary documentation and protocols to ensure that all quality requirements are met and maintained.
- Develop and manage product test requirements and procedures to satisfy engineering and market requirements
- Create technical reports including summaries and statistical analysis of tests being performed
- Provide data-based recommendations and feedback to engineering teams on product improvement opportunities
- Own CAPA/8D process and system, successfully driving permanent resolution to product and process non-conformances, up through and including validation of permanent corrective actions.
- Coach and develop quality engineering staff, establishing effective cross-functional team and providing resources and opportunities for professional growth.
THE SKILLS/EXPERIENCE YOU’LL NEED TO BE THE QUALITY ENGINEERING MANAGER:
- Engineering degree, MS or MBA a plus
- 7+ years’ experience on a product-based quality team, hardware a strong plus
- high level of leadership skills with a desire to cultivate performance of direct reports
- Six Sigma Black Belt a plus
- Ability to present technical information and effectively communicate across all levels of the organization, including design verification and validation activities, production & process controls, Corrective & Preventive Action (CAPA), consumer complaints, and product improvement activities.
- Proficiency in the areas of statistical principles and applications, qualitative and quantitative data analysis, DOE, Acceptance and Sampling, process improvement/optimization, Gage R&R measuring systems, product reliability and safety, system and product audit, product quality tools such as; six sigma, Lean, and DFR.
- Experience with appliance, automotive or electromechanical device manufacturing a plus
- Excellent people skills, 'on the shop floor' attitude, hands on
- Background of supervising groups of people
- Demonstrated understanding of product development lifecycles, design change and document change control, product and process verification and validation methodologies, and manufacturing / production process control methodologies.
- Possess the energy, passion, and enthusiasm to drive change.
- External Focus: understanding customer needs, industry trends, and the competitive landscape in the industry.
- Clear thinker: Simplifying strategy into specific actions with clear accountability, making decisions with speed & accuracy based on best available information and communicating priorities clearly & concisely.
- Demonstrated collaboration, negotiation & conflict resolution skills, ability to lead, acknowledge, develop, communicate and implement a strategy to ensure compliance.
- Experience using SmartSheets, Jira or similar task tracking tools
- Experience with ERP and/or inventory management systems
- Lean / Six Sigma experience
- Experience in an electronic toy company
THE PERKS YOU’LL ENJOY AS THE QUALITY ENGINEERING MANAGER:
- Being part of an awesome team that keeps playful inventing at the heart of all we do
- Sweeping views of the Hudson, a tricked-out office and fully stocked kitchen. We're listed as one of the top 11 office spaces in the US
- All the oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzers, microscopes, microchips, soldering irons, laser cutters, 3D printers, craft supplies and googly eyes you could ever want
- Benefits including medical, dental, vision, commuter checks, FSA, paid family leave and 401(K) with an abbreviated waiting period
- Stock options that go along with a high-growth, well-funded startup
- Flexible working hours and unlimited sick days
- Generous vacation policy