We design. We build. We code. We think. We craft. We engineer. We teach. We learn. We invent.
At littleBits, we’re on a mission to democratize hardware by empowering everyone to create inventions, large and small, with our platform of easy-to-use electronic building blocks. And we believe this mission starts with you. When you join the team, you’ll enter a workspace that encourages innovation, creative expression, teamwork, and transparency. We also encourage spontaneous sing-a-longs, furry friends, roaming robots, and lots of laughs. If you are genuinely excited about our mission, and about working with a smart, dedicated and talented group of inventors, artists and doers, we want you on our team!
The SENIOR SOFTWARE ARCHITECT will be part of the software team responsible for littleBits software applications. This includes defining the detailed technical architecture, working closely with the Product team and other development groups within a larger software team and analyzing requirements. Our engineering challenges range from mobile application development, high-availability service architecture supporting our products, devops, synchronization services for ecommerce, supply chain, distribution, and logistics. Systems supported are both internal and public facing, including the service layers for our products.
You will be working with a top-notch engineering, design, and product management team - a key player in an organization that breathes innovation.
WHAT YOU'LL DO AS SENIOR SOFTWARE ARCHITECT:
- Define and own the detailed technical architecture and roadmap for our software initiatives
- Provide technical guidance to other developers
- Contribute to our codebase
- Collaborate with hardware in regards to software communication protocols, messaging, and other software/hardware product interactions
- Contribute to our Agile development process by helping product owners author developer stories.
- Effectively communicate with business stakeholders including Product, Finance, Operations, and Sales and Marketing.
- Interface with QA regarding release schedules, training, testing schedule assistance and review test cases.
THE SKILLS/EXPERIENCE YOU'LL NEED AS SENIOR SOFTWARE ARCHITECT:
- BS/MS in Engineering, Computer Science, or other related field.
- Minimum of 8 years of experience designing, architecting, and building applications.
- Ability to effectively work cross functionally in a fast work environment.
- Ability to bring technical definition to areas where undefined
- Strong organizational and communication skills.
- Excellent problem solving skills.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Willingness to take initiative and to follow through on projects.
- Willingness to learn new technologies.
- Excellent time management skills, with the ability to prioritize and multi-task, and work under shifting deadlines.
- Experience implementing applications using Android and/or iOS platform.
- 5+ years of working experience in Ruby
- Familiarity with Scala or similar technologies
- Demonstrable skills in designing/deploying a scalable environment using 3rd party cloud services
- Strong comprehension of web services and service oriented architecture.
- EE experience a big plus
THE PERKS YOU’LL ENJOY AS SENIOR SOFTWARE ARCHITECT:
- Being part of an awesome team that keeps playful inventing at the heart of all we do
- Sweeping views of the Hudson, a tricked-out office and fully stocked kitchen
- All the oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzers, microscopes, microchips, soldering irons, laser cutters, 3D printers, craft supplies and googly eyes you could ever want
- Benefits including medical, dental, vision, commuter checks, FSA and 401(K) with an abbreviated waiting period
- Stock options that go along with a high-growth, well-funded startup
- Flexible working hours and a generous vacation and sick day policy