VICE PRESIDENT, MARKETING
We design. We build. We code. We think. We craft. We engineer. We teach. We learn. We invent.
At littleBits, we’re on a mission to democratize hardware by empowering everyone to create inventions, large and small, with our platform of easy-to-use electronic building blocks. And we believe this mission starts with you. When you join the team, you’ll enter a workspace that encourages innovation, creative expression, teamwork, and transparency. We also encourage spontaneous sing-a-longs, furry friends, roaming robots, and lots of laughs. If you are genuinely excited about our mission, and about working with a smart, dedicated and talented group of inventors, artists, and doers, we want you on our team!
Reporting to the Founder and CEO, littleBits’ VICE PRESIDENT, MARKETING (VPM) will serve as the head of marketing and have ultimate responsibility for day-to-day and long-term operational and tactical leadership for littleBits’ marketing organization internally and with external stakeholders.
In this capacity, the VPM will further define littleBits’ brand identity, in collaboration with the Founder and CEO. In addition, as a category creator, the VPM will develop and execute against a holistic brand strategy that employs advertising, digital, events, retail, and partnership marketing initiatives both domestically and internationally, in support of elevating littleBits to the status of a household brand.
littleBits is looking for someone with world class brand building experience, and a natural affinity for the business’s mission and vision. As the company’s products are designed to be used by anybody in any setting (i.e. in the home, in the classroom, in the lab, etc.), it will be critical the VPM have the capacity to operate in a flexible fashion.
WHAT YOU'LL DO AS VICE PRESIDENT, MARKETING:
- Establish the direction and vision for the marketing organization with clear and tangible goals, in a spirit of collaboration and partnership with the Founder and CEO
- Develop actionable and effective brand and marketing strategies that take into account littleBits’ breadth and geographic distribution of its customers
- Drive efficient and incremental customer acquisition growth, in support of scaling revenue to achieve and exceed annual and quarterly revenue goals
- In addition to efficiently acquiring customers, develop retention strategies to continually improve lifetime customer value (LTV)
- Expand the partnership marketing program, including further defining membership identification (i.e. ‘Who’), strategic organization (i.e. ‘Why’), and monetization strategies (i.e. ‘How’)
- Transform littleBits’ communities of creators into powerful brand evangelists
- Collaborate with the product and engineering organizations to ensure littleBits’ physical products and digital assets continue to delight and excite creators, serve as a strong hub for invention, and as an engine for sales
- Partner with the sales organization to achieve and exceed aggressive annual and quarterly revenue goals through large, creative, strategic sales programs
- Effectively leverage data to efficiently allocate, measure (i.e. test marketing results), and spend the 2017 marketing budget of $8M – $10M, which is inclusive of adding headcount during the year
- Be an evangelist for littleBits – a thought leader driving the STEAM-based learning conversation
THE SKILLS/EXPERIENCE YOU'LL NEED AS VICE PRESIDENT, MARKETING:
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience in the marketing function, and at least 5 years’ experience in a commensurate leadership role of the marketing organization within a consumer products company
- A practical example helping to navigate a “category creating” brand from its nascent stage to category leader is imperative
- A track record driving execution and operational (i.e. individual function and broader corporate operations) success within a fast paced start-up environment is essential
- A confirmed passion for developing and scaling effective community-based/focused and partnership marketing strategies is important
- A validated reputation for fostering cross-functional collaboration between all corporate functions, including (but not limited to) sales, engineering, product, and design teams
WHAT YOU WILL NEED TO SUCCEED AS VICE PRESIDENT, MARKETING:
- The quality of a progressive thinker – creative, innovative, ground-breaking – rooted in the principles of sound execution and operation practices, who understands that success in marketing (along with all other functions within a company) enables the growth of the business
- A bias for action because littleBits is a self-starter and results-oriented culture
- Genuine and natural enthusiasm for working in a highly collaborative, low-ego culture incredibly passionate about littleBits’ mission to inspire generations of creators and inventors
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills that enable you to effectively disseminate littleBits’ vision to both internal and external stakeholders
THE PERKS YOU’LL ENJOY AS VICE PRESIDENT, MARKETING:
- Being part of an awesome team that keeps playful inventing at the heart of all we do
- Sweeping views of the Hudson, a tricked-out office and fully stocked kitchen
- All the oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzers, microscopes, microchips, soldering irons, laser cutters, 3D printers, craft supplies and googly eyes you could ever want
- Benefits including medical, dental, vision, commuter checks, FSA and 401(K) with an abbreviated waiting period
- Stock options that go along with a high-growth, well-funded startup
- Flexible working hours and a generous sick day policy
- Generous vacation policy