SENIOR ENGINEER (Ruby)
We design. We build. We code. We think. We craft. We engineer. We teach. We learn. We invent.
At littleBits, we’re on a mission to democratize hardware by empowering everyone to create inventions, large and small, with our platform of easy-to-use electronic building blocks. And we believe this mission starts with you. When you join the team, you’ll enter a workspace that encourages innovation, creative expression, teamwork, and transparency. We also encourage spontaneous sing-a-longs, furry friends, roaming robots, and lots of laughs. If you are genuinely excited about our mission, and about working with a smart, dedicated and talented group of inventors, artists and doers, we want you on our team!
The SENIOR ENGINEER (Ruby) will be part of the top-notch team responsible for the infrastructure and services across our digital web properties (e-commerce, community, and backend operations). Our engineering challenges range from high-availability service architecture, devops, full-lifecycle business intelligence, search & recommendations, and synchronization services for ecommerce, order management, supply chain, distribution, and logistics. Systems supported are both internal and public facing, including the service layer for our innovative CloudBit platform.
You will be working with a top-notch engineering, design, and product management team --- a key player in an organization that breathes innovation.
WHAT YOU'LL DO AS SENIOR ENGINEER (Ruby):
- Write high-quality code that helps our customers and colleagues achieve our mission
- Contribute to architecture and product definition
- Be an expert at services development and architecture
- Share knowledge and learn in an agile development process
- Help increase littleBits leadership in the open source community
THE SKILLS/EXPERIENCE YOU'LL NEED AS SENIOR ENGINEER (Ruby):
- Service development and architecture
- Experienced in deployment and support scripting in an AWS environment
- Strong sense of ownership and urgency
- Ability to form collaborative and positive relationships with both technical colleagues and business partners
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Ability to itemize and estimate deliverables, and author technical specs
- Establish priorities and deliver against company goals and metrics
- Experience with our current stack: Ruby, Node.js, Scala, Docker, MySQL, Redis
- Experience integrating with Netsuite ERP, Shopify, and Hubspot APIs
- Participation in open source projects
- Experience with start-ups and agile software processes
- Delivery-focused entrepreneurial mindset and bias towards action
THE PERKS YOU’LL ENJOY AS SENIOR ENGINEER (Ruby):
- Being part of an awesome team that keeps playful inventing at the heart of all we do
- Sweeping views of the Hudson, a tricked-out office and fully stocked kitchen
- All the oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzers, microscopes, microchips, soldering irons, laser cutters, 3D printers, craft supplies and googly eyes you could ever want
- Benefits including medical, dental, vision, commuter checks, FSA and 401(K) with an abbreviated waiting period
- Stock options that go along with a high-growth, well-funded startup
- Flexible working hours and a generous vacation and sick day policy