We design. We build. We code. We think. We craft. We engineer. We teach. We learn. We invent.
At littleBits, we’re on a mission to democratize hardware by empowering everyone to create inventions, large and small, with our platform of easy-to-use electronic building blocks. And we believe this mission starts with you. When you join the team, you’ll enter a workspace that encourages innovation, creative expression, teamwork and transparency. We also encourage spontaneous sing-a-longs, furry friends, roaming robots, and lots of laughs. If you are genuinely excited about our mission, and about working with a smart, dedicated and talented group of inventors, artists and doers, we want you on our team!
If you share our insatiable drive to make things better, you may be the Senior Mechanical Design Engineer we want on our mission to get the world inventing. We are looking for a dynamic and talented individual who will lead the mechanical design, development and testing for all littleBits products. This person will work with the Product Design, Quality and Manufacturing teams to bring our products to life. This person will report to the Director of Manufacturing.
Lead product design, development and testing activities:
- Coordinate with the Product Design and Product Management teams to transition ideas into specifications and CAD (3D, 2D and assembly documentation)
- Design and review mechanical parts, upholding drafting standards and engineering best practices
- Manage efforts directly with Contract Manufacturers to design parts for manufacturability and quality (DFM, DFA.FMEA)
- Research and specify system level components like motors, bearings, materials, and fasteners
- Create specifications for mechanical systems; design tests to verify and validate
- Create technical reports including summaries and statistical analysis of tests being performed
- Lead interactions with other product development teams in ensure compliance to all quality and regulatory requirements throughout product development lifecycle: participate in design reviews, DFMEA’s, safety reviews, design for manufacturability, and produce necessary documentation and protocols to ensure that all quality requirements are met and maintained.
- Support NPI and manufacturing trial builds.
- Work with other senior engineers to architect future products at a system level
- Work closely with electrical and manufacturing engineering teams to design at a system level
- Develop documentation for other engineers, technicians, production, and customers
- Research and drive next generation technologies
- Knowledgeable and experienced with material and process selection; DFM/DFA
- Mechanical Engineering degree or equivalent
- 5+ years mechanical design experience
- Proficiency with SolidWorks ( Surfacing, Assemblies, Master Modeling, CTF Drawings)
- Experience with Arena or similar PLM or PDM software
- Experience managing, categorizing, and revisioning file structures in collaborative platform such as Dropbox.
- Specific experience designing consumer or educational products is a must
- Specific experience designing and qualifying multi-cavity, high cosmetic-standard Injection Molded plastic parts.
- Experience with tolerance stackup analysis, basic measurement techniques, and GD&T
- Ability to present technical information and effectively communicate across all levels of the organization, including design verification and validation activities, production & process controls, Corrective & Preventive Action (CAPA), consumer complaints, and product improvement activities.
- Demonstrated understanding of product development lifecycles, design change and document change control, product and process verification and validation methodologies, and manufacturing / production process control methodologies.
- Possess the energy, passion, and enthusiasm to drive change.
- External Focus: understanding customer needs, industry trends, and the competitive landscape in the industry.
- Clear thinker: Simplifying strategy into specific actions with clear accountability, making decisions with speed & accuracy based on best available information and communicating priorities clearly & concisely.
- Able to prioritize work and maintain a schedule of deliverables.
- Demonstrated collaboration, negotiation & conflict resolution skills, ability to lead, acknowledge, develop, communicate and implement a strategy to ensure compliance.
- Experience designing injection molded plastic parts for children Ages 6+ or 8+
- Experience designing injection molded plastic parts that mate to Lego parts
- Experience using MS Project, SmartSheets, Trello, Jira or similar task tracking tools
- Experience designing for a variety of rapid prototyping technologies, including FDM, SLA, SLS, and Polyjet (including benefits and limitations of each system).
- Experience in a variety manufacturing technologies for consumer products other than plastic injection molding.
- Experience working with Tier 1 and/or 2 Chinese Contract Manufacturers
- Experience with Production Part Approval Process
- Six Sigma Black Belt a plus
THE PERKS YOU'LL ENJOY:
- Being part of an awesome team that keeps playful inventing at the heart of all we do
- Sweeping views of the Hudson, a tricked-out office and fully stocked kitchen
- All the oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzers, microscopes, microchips, soldering irons, laser cutters, 3D printers, craft supplies and googly eyes you could ever want
- Benefits including medical, dental, vision, commuter checks, FSA and 401(K) with an abbreviated waiting period
- Stock options that go along with a high-growth, well-funded startup
- Flexible working hours and sick day policy
- Generous vacation policy