Do the words “automation” and “open source” make your brows perk up? Are you a developer who gets a kick out of problem solving and system administration in a Linux environment? Then this is your job! With the type of growth we are experiencing, we now need to grow our team of System Engineers. We’re looking for the type of people who have a passion for problem solving and an extra sense when it comes to troubleshooting production systems.
Founded in 2003, Linode is a leading cloud hosting provider with 400,000 customers worldwide served out of eight global datacenters. Linode invests heavily in its people and has set the bar for excellence in the cloud hosting industry. Our customer service, development, ops, hardware, marketing, and documentation teams are all part of making Linode the most simple, powerful and reliable hosting provider. This industry moves fast, but we’re committed to hiring the kind of people who can stay a step ahead and keep us - and themselves - at the top.
Linode’s customer base relies heavily on us to deliver a level of service that is unparalleled in the hosting industry, and that’s where our team of System Engineers comes in. You will be a natural problem solver. Someone who lives to put out fires before they start and continuously monitors all things Linode to make sure there is never a hiccup in the service that our customers come to love and expect.
Primary Job Functions
- Help improve our infrastructure and software through performance tuning and high availability solutions
- Define and develop system reporting and infrastructure health monitoring
- Develop and maintain configuration management solutions
- Perform basic engineering, design, implementation, and maintenance tasks
- Maintain security updates and patches among Linode’s entire fleet of servers
- Develop test automation frameworks in collaboration with other team members
- Understand and use best practices for deployment processes and support
- Installation and maintenance of Linode host software
- Create tools to help teams both within the sysadmin team and interdepartmentally at Linode
- Consult on overall production systems architecture
- Document configuration procedures
- 2-4 year experience in a DevOps, Development, or SysAdmin role
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science or related field
- Experience with open source configuration management tools: SaltStack, Chef, Puppet, Vagrant, Ansible, etc.
- Strong communication skills to work with both collaborative cross-functional team of peers and departments within the company (product development, operations, networking, etc.)
- Grasp of automation tools and experience working in a DevOps culture; sharing responsibilities with developers
- Experience running mission-critical Linux servers in virtualized environments
- Strong technical foundation in virtualization technologies; specifically KVM and Xen
- Ability to build, monitor, and tune production servers and services
- Knowledge of servers, switches, and various infrastructure management solutions
- Experience with version control; specifically Git and GitHub
Work With Us
- Flexible work hours: We have flexible start times and a very generous paid time off package.
- Unbelievable benefits: We provide comprehensive health insurance, 401(k) contributions, a profit- sharing program, and pension plans.
- Monthly wellness reimbursements: up to $100 towards gym memberships, diet plans, massages, etc.
- A Macbook Pro: to use around the office and at home.
- Free hosting service: Take advantage of some Linode service - we’ll pick up the tab.
- Linode Lunch: What goes better with technology than food? Nothing. We’ll bring in a catered lunch every week.
- Competitive salary: It all begins with fair compensation. We believe in paying people well and rewarding those who go the extra mile.