Founded in 2003, Linode is a leading cloud hosting provider with 400,000 customers worldwide served out of nine global datacenters. Linode invests heavily in its people and has set the bar for excellence in the cloud hosting industry. Our customer service, development, ops, hardware, marketing, and documentation teams are all part of making Linode the most simple, powerful and reliable hosting provider. This industry moves fast, but we’re committed to hiring the kind of people who can stay a step ahead and keep us - and themselves - at the top.
We are currently seeking a Senior Research and Development Engineer to drive the continual improvement of Linode’s hardware infrastructure. You will focus on certifying powerful new hardware to make our servers faster and more efficient. You will develop, document, and automate benchmark tests. You will create burn-in testing procedures to make our fleet more reliable. You will be a key contributor to the Linode Datacenter Operations Team in ensuring our hardware is not only running optimally but that our equipment is the fastest on the market. You will also maintain the roadmap for future Linode hardware.
You will be a natural problem solver and adept at automating intricate tasks. You will possess exceptional documentation ability. Impeccable communication skills and attention to detail, along with the technical skills to do the job, are a must. You will be passionate about IT, quick to grasp new concepts, and have a strong desire to help others. In addition, you will thrive in a high-energy environment where you must solve problems and perform work that is routinely done with minimal direct supervision.
This position will report to Linode’s Datacenter Operations Manager. Position is 40 hours per week and may require travel among our Philadelphia, PA, Haddonfield, NJ, and Galloway, NJ offices. Occasional travel to our 8 worldwide datacenters and our hardware manufacturers and vendors will also be required.
- Create, perform, and automate benchmarking, compatibility, and burn-in test procedures
- Compile and interpret test results
- Make configuration recommendations for new hardware builds
- Keep abreast of future component releases and trends to continue to develop the Linode hardware roadmap
- Maintain internal documentation
- Maintain relationships with vendors, hardware manufacturers, and technical contacts
- Minimum 5 years professional experience in a similar role
- BA/BS in computer science or equivalent field preferred
- Minimum 5 years experience with bash scripting or another scripting language
- Strong understanding of computer hardware and components
- Extensive understanding of server configuration - BIOS, RAID etc
- Strong research and documentation skills
- Ability to speak with Managers, technical/non-technical people, and datacenter contacts.
- An outgoing, friendly, and helpful personality is required.
- Position is based out of Philadelphia, PA
- Must be able to occasionally travel to Linode’s Haddonfield, NJ, and Galloway, NJ offices.
- Must be able to travel to Linode’s global datacenters, approved vendors, and hardware manufacturers.
Work With Us
- Flexible work hours: We have flexible start times and a very generous paid time off package!
- Unbelievable benefits: We provide comprehensive health/dental insurance, 401(k) contributions, a profit- sharing program, and pension plans!
- Monthly wellness reimbursements: up to $100 towards gym memberships, diet plans, massages, etcetera
- A Macbook Pro: to use around the office and at home
- Free hosting service: Take advantage of some Linode service - we’ll pick up the tab!
- Linode Lunch: What goes better with technology than food? Nothing. We’ll bring in a catered lunch every week.
- Competitive salary: It all begins with fair compensation. We believe in paying people well and rewarding those who go the extra mile.