Founded in 2003, Linode is a leading cloud hosting provider with 400,000 customers worldwide served out of eight global datacenters. Linode invests heavily in its people and has set the bar for excellence in the cloud hosting industry. Our customer service, development, ops, hardware, marketing, and documentation teams are all part of making Linode the most simple, powerful and reliable hosting provider. This industry moves fast, but we’re committed to hiring the kind of people who can stay a step ahead and keep us - and themselves - at the top.
We're seeking a Manager of System Engineering to build and lead a top notch operations team. Linode’s System and Reliability Engineers work day in and day out to ensure that hundreds of thousands of users can seamlessly utilize their Linode service without a glitch. You would be responsible for leading this team, but certainly won’t be hesitant to jump besides them and get your hands dirty when duty calls.
As a technical manager, you lead a team of highly skilled individuals and are directly responsible for Linode’s critical internal infrastructure, guiding and directing your team, and enabling our engineers to deliver the best cloud hosting solution on the market. Although you have management experience, you are passionate about technology and are capable of performing the role of any engineer below you. As with anyone we hire, the ability to communicate and mesh with your team is crucial.
You will report directly to Linode’s Chief Executive Officer and will regularly collaborate with Linode’s executive team. This role requires high level strategizing all the way down to daily implementation and maintenance. You are a strategic thinker with a background in system engineering concepts. The position may require occasional on-call responsibilities that may arise requiring your leadership.
- Lead, mentor, and continue to build a team of top system engineers in an agile environment
- Maintain a best-in-class engineering and operations team supported by an internal environment based upon teamwork, innovation, and dedication to quality
- Work closely with the other engineering and product leadership departments to architect solid technical design and approach to operations in a large-scale environment.
- Lead by example, care for your team, and establish credibility with the quality of you and your team’s technical execution.
- Own end-to-end availability and performance of mission critical infrastructure and assist in monitoring, automation, and tools development to prevent problem reoccurrence
- Monitor the activities of the systems engineers to remove any roadblocks and ensure timely completion of all work tasks
- 5 years of experience managing an engineering and/or operations team responsible for critical systems
- 10 years of relevant technical work experience
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science or related technical field preferred
- Strong understanding of Linux, virtualization, and networking concepts.
- Understanding and familiarity of the fundamentals of Linux scripting languages; Bash, Python, Perl, etc.
- Experience with version control; specifically Git and GitHub.
- Excellent project management, interpersonal and organizational skills, with the ability to drive and implement ideas in an agile environment.
- Must be able to participate in 24/7 incident response.
Work With Us
- Flexible work hours: We have flexible start times and a very generous paid time off package!
- Unbelievable benefits: We provide comprehensive health insurance, 401(k) contributions, a profit- sharing program, and pension plans!
- Monthly wellness reimbursements: up to $100 towards gym memberships, diet plans, massages, etcetera
- A Macbook Pro: to use around the office and at home
- Free hosting service: Take advantage of some Linode service - we’ll pick up the tab!
- Linode Lunch: What goes better with technology than food? Nothing. We’ll bring in a catered lunch every week.
- Competitive salary: It all begins with fair compensation. We believe in paying people well and rewarding those who go the extra mile.