Linode is seeking a General Counsel to drive the legal aspects of the company to effectively ensure legal conformity and minimize probability of exposure to risk. The General council will safeguard Linode’s reputation by guaranteeing that the company strictly follows legal guidelines and give legal advice to any necessary internal teams or individuals about all relevant issues. This person is responsible for leading corporate strategic and tactical legal initiatives and provides Linode’s leadership with effective advice on company strategies and their implementation, manages the legal function, and obtains and oversees the work of outside counsel. The general counsel is directly involved in complex business transactions in negotiating critical contracts.
You will report directly to Linode’s Chief Operations Officer and will regularly collaborate with Linode’s executive and leadership teams. You are a strategic thinker with a background in law, with a proven track record in the technology or internet ecosystem.The position will report to Linode’s Philadelphia office and is a full-time, 40 hour per week role, however extended hours may be required as needed.
- Experience with IP process, data protection, and privacy practices as well as complex technology-related litigation cases.
- Quantifiable track record of outstanding Corporate leadership within a fast paced, high growth, entrepreneurial environment
- Excellent knowledge of corporate law and procedures, both domestic and internationally
- Successful handling of online law and practice in the e-commerce area
- Familiarity with data security breach notification plans, data security policies, and compliance within the area of data security
- Make sound judgements and display the ability to analyse situations and information
- Act under the highest degree of professional ethics and integrity
- Law degree from the US
- 8+ years of legal experience (with at least two years at a law firm), with focused experience with specialized IT companies, either directly or from within a law firm
- In house experience at technology company strongly preferred
- Experience leveraging organizational skills and strategic thinking, and experience working with cross-functional teams
Founded in 2003, Linode is a leading cloud hosting provider with 600,000 customers worldwide served out of eight global data centers. Linode invests heavily in its people and has set the bar for excellence in the cloud hosting industry. Our customer service, development, ops, hardware, marketing, and documentation teams are all part of making Linode the most simple, powerful and reliable hosting provider. This industry moves fast, but we’re committed to hiring the kind of people who can stay a step ahead and keep us - and themselves - at the top.