We are currently seeking a Cloud Server Build Engineer to drive the continual improvement of Linode’s hardware infrastructure. As Linode’s resident mad scientist of servers, you will focus on researching powerful new hardware to make our servers faster and more efficient. This position comes along with the territory of your own testing lab and the ability to play with the latest and greatest: multi-socket systems from Intel Purley and AMD Epyc, the latest network gear from Juniper and Cisco 40G & 100G, etc. We need an outside the box thinker who can not only ensure our hardware is the fastest on the market today, but will also maintain the roadmap for future Linode hardware.
This position will report to Linode’s Data Center Operations Manager. Position is 40 hours per week and may require travel among our Philadelphia, PA and Galloway, NJ offices. Occasional travel to our 8 worldwide datacenters and our hardware manufacturers and vendors will also be required.
- Create, perform, and automate benchmarking, compatibility, and burn-in test procedures
- Compile and interpret test results
- Make configuration recommendations for new hardware builds
- Benchmarking and tweaking cutting edge hardware
- Maintain and own relationships with big name hardware vendors to test products before they are released to the general public
- Keep abreast of future component releases and trends to continue to develop the Linode hardware roadmap
- Maintain internal documentation
- Attend trade shows regularly
- Architect full rack solutions and decoupled compute and storage solutions
- Minimum 5 years professional experience in a similar role
- BA/BS in computer science or equivalent field preferred
- Minimum 5 years experience with bash scripting or another scripting language
- Strong understanding of computer hardware and components
- Extensive understanding of server configuration - BIOS, RAID etc.
- Strong research and documentation skills
- Ability to speak with Managers, technical/non-technical people, and datacenter contacts
- An outgoing, friendly, and helpful personality is required
- Position is based out of Philadelphia, PA
- Must be able to travel to Linode’s global datacenters, approved vendors, and hardware manufacturers
Work With Us
- Philadelphia office: We recently moved our HQ to one of the coolest tech buildings in Philly; join us on N3RD street! (https://www.linode.com/press/linode-buys-real-world-bank-for-phila-office)
- Flexible work hours: We have flexible start times and a very generous paid time off package.
- Unbelievable benefits: We provide comprehensive health insurance, 401(k) contributions, a profit- sharing program, and pension plans.
- Monthly wellness reimbursements: up to $100 towards gym memberships, diet plans, massages, etc.
- A Macbook Pro: to use around the office and at home.
- Free hosting service: Take advantage of some Linode service - we’ll pick up the tab.
- Linode Lunch: What goes better with technology than food? Nothing. We’ll bring in a catered lunch every week.
- Competitive salary: It all begins with fair compensation. We believe in paying people well and rewarding those who go the extra mile.
Founded in 2003, Linode is a leading cloud hosting provider with 400,000 customers worldwide served out of eight global datacenters. Linode invests heavily in its people and has set the bar for excellence in the cloud hosting industry. Our customer service, development, ops, hardware, marketing, and documentation teams are all part of making Linode the most simple, powerful and reliable hosting provider. This industry moves fast, but we’re committed to hiring the kind of people who can stay a step ahead and keep us - and themselves - at the top.