We're looking for an inspiring teacher to join Lingumi. You'll use your passion and experience for teaching to help transform how children around the world learn to read and write, using technology. This role will change your life, and the lives of millions of children around the world.
Our mission is to help children (2-6) all around the world learn critical skills, affordably and effectively, from the world's best teachers, through our app. We aim to use technology and clever games to help teach even more effectively than a live teacher, for a fraction of the price, making education scalable, effective, and accessible. You'll be joining us as our next teacher, taking a critical role in helping us build the world's best teaching experience for pre-school children.
Our people are a smart bunch, brought together by our mission, and work extremely hard to deliver on what is required. We can clearly see how our role plays a key part in the company's success and are super hungry to grow in our careers. We aim to consistently achieve great results, but if we don't, that's ok - we learn from our mistakes and progress forward. We're humble in our approach and are team players. Collectively, we speak over eight languages in the team and are spread across four hubs - London, Cardiff, Singapore and Shenzhen.
Our customers love what we do and advocate our mission. We really care about their child's development, providing them with the critical skills that they need to succeed in life. Parents praise us and children love us - with some families using Lingumi for over three years. Together, we're only at the beginning of what we can achieve.
Our technology allows us to create innovative ways to teach the Lingumi children in new ways - we're working on ground-breaking technology that will revolutionise how they learn. Children can connect to their friends and other children from around the world, to learn together, and take us one step closer to connecting this world and making it a better place.
Our investors and advisors range from Europe's best VC's, including Local Globe and ADV, to advisors such as Michael O'Sullivan, former CEO of Cambridge Assessment and the British Council in China.
How we get there
We’re on an exciting trajectory - over the last year we've gained incredible traction through the first course on our platform, and are rapidly scaling our customer base, particularly across mainland China, and Taiwan.
We are rapidly growing and we need exceptional teachers to help us achieve our mission. As a Preschool Teacher at Lingumi you will be bringing your teaching abilities to hundreds of thousands of kids worldwide.
Here’s a bit about your future classroom at Lingumi:
- You'll be working with the Lingumi team, and drawing on your teaching experience, to build the world's best English course for pre-school children
- Hundreds of thousands of kids over the world will take your course, with families from China, Taiwan, Italy, Germany, and more
- Though separated by a screen, students will care about you. They will learn your name and fall in love with you as one of the first teachers in their life.
Here's what you'll be doing
- Filming and scripting lessons, designing and building courses as a core member of our Learning Squad, that will excite and engage children from around the world.
- Experimenting with new innovative ways of delivering teaching that are creative, effective and scalable.
- Working closely alongside other teachers, teaching assistants and community associates to build and engage our online communities of Lingumi children.
- Engaging with parents from around the world in our online parent communities.
- Hosting regular events where you are the face of Lingumi in millions of homes around the world.
A bit about you
- You understand the magic of being in a classroom and are committed to using technology to bring that experience to children around the world at an affordable price
- You are a teacher and a star 🤩. You relish being in front of the camera and are excited about this being the main way of connecting with children from around the world
- Preschoolers can’t take their eyes off you. Your energy is contagious. Parents who don’t understand a word you’re saying can see the impact you are having on their children, and instinctively know that they’re in safe hands
- You love to experiment. You know that there are tried-and-tested techniques but also believe that fundamentally new ways of teaching are possible
- You are ambitious, with a heart. You are a gifted teacher and feel a high sense of achievement when you use this gift to connect with children. You are keen to build a following of millions of children worldwide
- You understand that there’s an element of performance to delivering your teaching and draw energy from interacting in this way
- You are an exceptionally creative thinker, who thrives off collaboration and thinks that no idea is too big or too wacky.
What you need to have:
- At least 1 year of experience teaching young children. This could be:
- Experience in teaching young children English as a second language
- Experience in teaching young children reading/writing/phonics/literacy
- Any other demonstrable teaching experience
- A degree in an academic or pedagogical topic. You need to be comfortable with conducting academic research and curriculum planning
- A demonstrable understanding of what it takes to create and deliver an effective curriculum for children aged 2-5.
It would be great if you also had:
- Experience in theatre, performance, public speaking, or television
- Knowledge of how to build an online following or community.
Here are some useful links to give you some insight into life as a Lingumi teacher:
- https://www.instagram.com/lifeatlingumi/ where Teacher Hannah has done a 'day in the life of'.
- https://www.instagram.com/toby_lingumi/ where both Hannah and Toby interact with out users.
- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFtSutfTEmfh7k27Jqt5OyA where you can see some of our teaching materials and promotional videos.
- https://medium.com/inside-lingumi where you can see some interesting articles about Lingumi written by the team here!
The benefits of working for Lingumi:
- Generous salary and equity packages
- Company laptop
- 20 days of paid holiday, plus the week of Chinese New Year (for CN/SG team members) or the Christmas to New Year break, as paid leave
- We ask you to be located near enough to one of our Hubs so you can attend key team meetings and events (where safe to do so), but we embrace remote work and working from home, and we have done for many years. Lingumi hasn't had to react to COVID-19 working conditions so you'll have a smooth experience whether in the office or not. Outside of core meetings, you can organise your time how you want - some team members spend their less less productive afternoon hours for personal wellness things like going to the gym or getting a haircut
- We offer a £50 per month 'health budget' to help subsidise gym memberships, classes, mental health applications or similar paid services (e.g. Calm, Headspace, etc.)
- We offer a £1000 per year budget on Learning & Development specifically for courses, coaches, books, or mentoring related to your career growth
- We provide you with all the home office equipment you need to be productive at home
Every child deserves an equal chance in life. If you share our vision of building, inspiring and empowering the world's next generation of learners, apply to join our team today.
Salary Range: £30,000 - 40,000/annual with shares in the company and a bonus scheme, depending on interview feedback and experience.