Location: London hub
Our mission is to help children (2-6) all around the world learn critical skills, affordably and effectively, from the world's best teachers. We teach more effectively than a live teacher, for a fraction of the price, making education scalable, effective, and accessible through asynchronous learning and communication. We've started with speaking English, and have already built the most effective, affordable and fun way to do so - all through a connected mobile or tablet.
Our people are a smart bunch, brought together by our mission, and work extremely hard to deliver on what is required. We can clearly see how our role plays a key part in the company's success and are super hungry to grow in our careers. We aim to consistently achieve great results, but if we don't, that's ok - we learn from our mistakes and progress forward. We're humble in our approach and are team players. Collectively, we speak over eight languages in the team and are spread across four hubs - London, Cardiff, Singapore and Shenzhen.
Our customers love what we do and advocate our mission. We really care about their child's development, providing them with the critical skills that they need to succeed in life. Parents praise us and children love us - with some families using Lingumi for over three years. Together, we're only at the beginning of what we can achieve.
Our technology allows us to create innovative ways to teach the Lingumi children in new ways - we're working on ground-breaking technology that will revolutionise how they learn. Children can connect to their friends and other children from around the world, to learn together, and take us one step closer to connecting this world and making it a better place.
Our investors and advisors range from Europe's best VC's, including Local Globe and ADV, to advisors such as Michael O'Sullivan, former CEO of Cambridge Assessment and the British Council in China.
How we get there
We’re on an exciting trajectory - over the last year we've gained incredible traction through the first course on our platform, and are rapidly scaling our customer base, particularly across mainland China, and Taiwan. However, our target is to teach 100 million children critical skills by 2025, so we're only just beginning!
We are now building out our Technology team, and are looking for a talented, creative, and ambitious Data Scientist to join us. This role is suited for someone who loves telling stories with data, and is excited about using insights gleaned from our datasets to inform our company strategy, and the products we build.
Here's what you'll be doing
- Tell the Lingumi story, by analysing data, extracting actionable insights, and using your storytelling skills to share those with our customers, team, and the industry
- Shape what our teaching curriculum becomes, by using our large dataset to extract key learnings; the good, the bad, and most importantly, the opportunities for the future of student/teacher/technology education
- Bring data together from various sources (our NoSQL database, Mixpanel, Segment, WeChat, Umeng, AppsFlyer, Intercom, Facebook, etc) to make sense of how our products are performing, and help inform our company strategy from a revenue & growth perspective
- Democratise access to data internally, by developing tools/processes that enable the rest of our team to access insights, and self-serve where needed.
- Foster a data-driven mindset in the team, being an advocate for data-led decisions
- Determine what a sensible lightweight data warehouse / ETL pipeline could look like at Lingumi, and take incremental steps to get there as part of a small, lean team
- Explore new opportunities with data & tech, working closely with Technology & Product teams. We have a large (and growing!) dataset, with millions of voice recordings, and hundreds of millions of learning outcome & test score data points (classed by language input and target outcome) – how could Machine Learning/AI/other, unlock a step change in education?
Here's what you must be/have
- Hands-on experience using a statistical tool of choice (R, SciPy, Pandas, IPython/Jupyter, MATLAB, or similar)
- Experience in mathematics & statistics, with an analytical focus
- An interest in Machine Learning
- Proficiency with SQL, and familiarity with data warehouse platforms
- Ability to create visualisations, reports, and dashboards (in Excel, Data Studio, QuickSight, or similar)
- Excellent communication and storytelling skills – ability to create and write a clear narrative from complex inputs, and confident sharing that with others
- Comfortable working in a small team, across multiple streams of work, using lean/agile methodologies to move fast and learn quickly
Here's what we build in
- Our mobile app is written in React Native, which also makes use of Unity components and native iOS/Android components
- Our backend services run on AWS and AWS China using Node.JS on Lambda, Api Gateway, DynamoDB and S3 with Cloudfront. We will also be exploring how we can use Alicloud to support our expansion in China
- We use Github to host our code and we use CircleCI for automated testing and builds
The benefits of working for Lingumi
- Generous salary and equity packages
- Company laptop (if you need one)
- 20 days of paid holiday, plus the week of Chinese New Year (for CN/SG team members) or the Christmas to New Year break, as paid leave
- Coaching on request depending on your needs - whether you need someone to talk to on a regular basis outside of work, or specifically on developing your leadership skills. We have an extensive network and will put you in touch with the right coach for your needs
- We ask you to be located near enough to one of our Hubs so you can attend key team meetings and events (where safe to do so), but we embrace remote work and working from home, and we have done for many years. Lingumi hasn't had to react to COVID-19 working conditions so you'll have a smooth experience whether in the office or not. Outside of core meetings, you can organise your time how you want - some team members spend their less productive afternoon hours for personal wellness things like going to the gym or getting a haircut
- We offer a Productivity and Wellness budget (£100pm) to use on growth and wellness
- We take the team on an annual retreat for 1 week (usually somewhere warm)
Every child deserves an equal chance in life. If you share our vision of building, inspiring and empowering the world's next generation of learners, apply to join our team today.