Company and Learner Profile
Lingo Live offers language and communication training for the tech leaders of the 21st century. Our clients are leading innovators such as Microsoft, Eventbrite, Zillow, Dell, LinkedIn, and Slack. We believe that the best work happens when humans are both empowered to share their ideas and invested in listening to others. We think that tech companies, and all communities, benefit from a variety of perspectives and life experiences.
A typical Lingo Live learner, or student, is a high-performing tech professional in software engineering, UI/UX design, management, marketing, or sales who works in their nonnative language, usually English. Lingo Live also has six other supplemental language programs: Japanese, Mandarin, Spanish, French, Italian, and Portuguese. The majority are intermediate or advanced speakers. Our learners are both highly specialized and highly driven.
Are you an expert in using task-based or situated learning methodologies?
- Experience and success in situating learning in real, every day tasks is essential for success with Lingo Live learners. Coaches at Lingo Live encourage learners to co-create their learning experience, bring their actual work to lessons, and/or feel confident role-playing common work scenarios. Learners grow both personally and professionally, through the lens of workplace-situated lesson concepts.
Do you have expertise in one or more of the following areas?
- PRONUNCIATION - accent, stress patterns, understanding & being understood, intonation, vocabulary, comprehension
- PRESENTATIONS - impromptu or prepared, vocal variety, body language, public speaking, motivating, storytelling
- CULTURAL - figurative language, humor, immersion, awareness, sensitivity, metaphor
- INTERPERSONAL SKILLS - socializing, networking, collaboration, persuasion, negotiation, speaking up, explaining
- WRITING - clear and concise, actionable, grammar, literary devices, style and structure, proofread/edit
- LEADERSHIP - self advocacy, empowerment, conflict resolution, empathy, mentoring, feedback
Lingo Live is hiring Language and Communication Coaches with an established history of delivering situated or task-based learning in one or many of the popular content areas listed above. Our coaches serve as trusted mentors, helping learners evolve as communicators and professionals, and we are ecstatic to add qualified applicants to our network!
Coaches report the following top contributors to job satisfaction: the mission of Lingo Live makes their work feel important, Lingo Live is a place to professionally develop, and others at Lingo Live are committed to good work. 91.5% of our coaches say they are satisfied working with Lingo Live, echoing sentiments such as “It allows one to have freedom yet a voice. It encourages without smothering. It guides yet doesn't criticize.” Lingo Live works hard to take coach voice into account as we develop our product -- 91.4% of coaches say they feel supported by our Community Support Team and that they feel comfortable reaching out or scheduling a meeting at any time.
Applicants MUST be comfortable with technology, have access to high speed broadband Internet from a personal computer, and be able to work a minimum of 15 hours weekly with a flexible schedule to accommodate learners. This is a work-from-home, independent contractor position.
Key Coach Responsibilities
- Host 45-minute 1-on-1 sessions via video classroom with learners, followed by a 15-minute window for written feedback
- Design or creatively adapt resources to actively engage learners in the virtual classroom
- Deliver engaging, meaningful, well-prepared lessons, targeted to help the learner grow in their most critical areas of language or communication in the workplace
- Hold learners accountable to their learning goals, roadmap future areas for improvement, and clearly demonstrate where and how they’re making progress
- Provide high quality, timely, and constructive feedback to learners that falls in-line with learning objectives
- A proven track record of exceptional instruction using task-based or situated learning methodologies
- 3+ years experience as a language, business, communication or life coach/teacher
- Expertise in one or more of the following areas: pronunciation, writing, presentation, culture, interpersonal skills and leadership
- Familiarity coaching online and using online tools (e.g. materials sharing, virtual classroom, Google Drive)
- Intimate knowledge of multiple cultures and/or languages
- Native linguistic and cultural proficiency in the language you’re applying to coach
- A reliable internet connection with an upload and download speed of at least 5 megabits per second, a webcam and external headset or microphone and headphones.
- An independent strategist who knows how to manage your time and materials
- An organic relationship builder who is a great conversationalist, active listener and understands how to work with adult learners
- Empathetic, intuitive and adaptable under changing circumstances
- Tactful in showing consideration for and maintain good relations with others of different cultural backgrounds and experiences
- Motivated by the opportunity to learn and develop your own skills as you help others grow
- Per each 45-minute session and 15-minute written feedback window
- Other paid opportunities include but are not limited to pilot/trial programs and occasional contractual bonus opportunities.
Sound like the right fit for you? Fill out the application below and attach your resume to apply. You may attach a cover letter, as well, if you wish. We have a small review and interview team that tries their best to address all applications in a timely fashion.