We’re ushering in a new era of operational excellence at this stage in our journey. As the first addition to our finance team, you’ll launch our in-house finance function and straddle strategy and execution. Your main responsibility is to ensure our company remains on sound financial footing by establishing sustainable systems and practices that meet the highest compliance and quality standards for our team and customers.
You’re ready to make a significant impact, leveraging your breadth of experience to put your stamp on how we think and operate. You’re excited to be our subject matter expert for all things finance. Your commitment to delivering high-quality work builds trust. You know how to collaborate across teams and in some instances, directly with our customers, to achieve meaningful results.
The Impact You’ll Have:
You’ll own end-to-end finance including these 3 main specialties:
- Controller (~50% of your focus):
- Own all aspects of our financial accounting and operations.
- Manage historical and current bookkeeping, P&L, A/R, A/P, GL, revenue recognition, aspects of payroll, and financial reporting to Board, investor, and management stakeholders.
- Drive an efficient month-end close process including reconciliations, schedules, variance analysis, and financials drafted in accordance with GAAP.
- Prepare for annual audits.
- Manage our primary financial model.
- Produce accurate and predictive billings, bookings, growth, and revenue.
- Understand industry definitions for SaaS financial metrics including ACV, ARR, MRR, CAC, runway, retention (gross and net) and be able to benchmark to similar SaaS companies.
- Help lead budget planning and partner with our management team to advise on strategy, reporting, budgeting, and overall decision making.
- Manage our cash, debt, and equity.
- Partner with our CEO on strategic fundraising efforts.
- Liaison with external partners to ensure compliance with tax requirements.
You’re a Great Fit If:
- You have 7+ years of experience across controller, FP&A and treasury areas in a startup or small business. You’re ready to own this function in a fast-paced, high-growth organization.
- You have 2+ years of people management experience, ideally in a globally-distributed environment. We expect that you’ll build out your team in the future.
- You’re self-directed and thrive in a remote-first, globally-distributed environment that is rooted in trust and intentional collaboration across synchronous (i.e. Zoom, Slack) and asynchronous channels.
- You have the technical proficiency and breadth of experience to be successful in owning the responsibilities across the specialty areas listed above.
- You’re keen to roll up your sleeves with tactical responsibilities such as A/R and A/P while balancing your contributions to more strategic initiatives.
- You care deeply about operational excellence and bring to your work a ton of attention to detail, methodical organization and project management, and ongoing process improvement.
- You’re proficient in accounting software and industry-standard finance systems. You’ll essentially have a blank slate to start with, so we’ll expect you to have an opinion on which software to use and own implementation as you see fit.
Traits We Value Most:
- You’re a thoughtful communicator and express yourself clearly.
- You’re self-reflective and continuously learn and better yourself and those around you.
- You’re a team player who “rises by lifting others.”
- You’re passionate about our mission and the opportunity to be a critical thought leader as our company continues to grow.
- You’re a strong advocate for diversity, inclusion, and belonging and see these as non-negotiable pillars of building a better world.
What We Believe:
We imagine a world where people everywhere have the tools to contribute their unique potential and succeed at any company regardless of their background. We believe truly impactful contributions can only come from human beings who feel connected to one another and have the skills and structure to make those contributions clearly, authentically, and confidently.
Founded in 2014, Lingo Live is the foremost skill-based communication and leadership coaching company that supports global talent in contributing their unique potential and gaining the confidence they need to share their opinions openly, build trust, and communicate across teams.
These employees meet with a live coach online and can customize the curriculum to fit their needs such as having difficult conversations, developing active listening skills, delivering an engaging and compelling presentation, constructing emails to sell ideas and influence outcomes, and making real-time contributions.
Our Remote-First Team:
We’re globally distributed as a remote-first organization and currently partner with hundreds of coaches teaching thousands of professionals across 27 countries. We’re trusted by global organizations such as Slack, Zillow Group, Eventbrite and Stripe.
Our core values guide how we show up for each other and our customers every day:
- Lead with what you know is right (Integrity)
- Encourage meaningful human connections (Curiosity & Vulnerability)
- Rise by lifting others (Kindness & Care)
- Grit matters more than talent (Work Ethic & Perseverance)
- Underpromise, overdeliver (Reliability & Trust)
- No one is going to die (Authentic Self)
Come help us build a collaborative, inclusive, and growth-oriented culture, as evidenced by our 4.7 Glassdoor rating, with 94% of Glassdoor reviewers recommending us to a friend.
- Competitive Salary & Equity Stock Options.
- Health Benefits: 85% coverage on medical, dental, and vision coverage for you and your family. If you’re based in the United States, we’ll cover you on our Aetna policy. If you’re based outside the United States, we’ll give you a monthly stipend you can apply to local health coverage.
- Unlimited Paid Time Off: You’ll be encouraged to take time off, including “recharge” days to prevent burnout and promote wellbeing.
- Unlimited Coaching On Our Platform: You’ll have full access to live sessions with some of the top communication and leadership coaches around the world. You can choose a language track and learn or improve your proficiency in Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, French, or Japanese. Or you can choose a leadership track to hone your skills.
- Professional Development Stipend: Up to $1,000 per year to invest in your learning and development in any area that matters to you.
- Home Office Stipend: As a new hire, we’ll invest in setting up your home office and up to $500 per month if you’d like to rent a co-working space nearby.
- Paid Parental Leave: 12 weeks of paid leave for primary and 2 weeks for secondary caregivers.
- Commuter Discounts: If you commute, you’ll be able to apply for discounted rates through our partnership with WageWorks.
- Additional Benefits: We offer discounts to some of the best services in travel, entertainment, etc. through our membership to AnyPerk.com.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion:
We’re an equal opportunity employer and are committed to building a company that embraces and celebrates diversity and inclusion. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We understand that diverse teams build better products, bring more perspective to the table, contribute to a company’s financial success and help foster a more inclusive environment for all employees, but the bottom line is that it's the right thing to do.