Chief Technology Officer, New York, NY
Who We Are and What We’re Looking For
Lineate is a tech company specializing in building data-driven, innovative platforms for marketing, advertising, and media companies. We have assembled a stellar engineering capability at the forefront of emerging data technologies. We have built solutions for customers like eBay, AppNexus, DataXu, SAP, Informa, OnDeck, The New York Times, OkCupid, and have created data-intensive applications such as real-time bidders, programmatic exchanges, recommendation engines, and financial optimizers.
We are looking for an experienced leader to drive our production teams as we grow from 250 people to the next level. The challenge will be in retaining our unique identity while managing this growth.
This is a hands on role that will focus on developing in our Directors an ability to execute with a high degree of independence and accountability. This means both making additional global hires and hands-on mentorship of how to manage quality and delegate effectively.
Our culture is hard-working and driven by hard challenges, but sensitive to work-life balance and family. The ideal fit will be straight shooter who is calm and confident, and who is comfortable questioning consensus and backing opinions up with data. The ability to think and act strategically and proactively is key.
- Member of the Executive Team responsible for the Engineering, Solutions Architecture, Quality Assurance, and Systems functions
- Establish world-class standards and technical operations to deliver consistent, high-quality products across 150+ engineers in 5 offices in different time zones in different countries
- Provide leadership to technology managers in implementing goal setting, accountability, and management best practices
- Drive rigorous weekly product releases across dozens of technology projects
- Set standards and best practices for documentation, design, implementation, testing, troubleshooting, and maintenance to evolve rapidly to meet the demands of a growing business
- Provide technical guidance to ensure solutions are properly aligned with business needs and are delivered cost-effectively and on time
- Mentor senior technologists to consider new technical approaches and train them how to remove obstacles (as opposed to working around them)
- Potentially lead product technical due diligence and engineering talent assessments in companies which we are going to acquire
- Demonstrate leadership in company values of exceptional problem solving, honesty, and safe experimentation
Skills / Requirements
- Experience in a senior software engineering management position such as CTO, Head of Development, or VP of Engineering
- Led a team of at least 50 software engineers within the last 3 years where you were responsible for departmental structure, performance measurement, and hiring / firing decisions (direct reporting lines)
- Ability to set aggressive goals for your teams and deliver to defined KPIs
- Experience delivering highly scalable applications that handle large amounts of data
- Expertise in Agile project management and instilling practices to ensure teams are continually delivering incremental improvements
- Ability to define quality processes and establish metrics around quality assurance, engineering, and responsiveness to customers
- Actively communicate, inspire and motivate all levels of staff
During the first year the main objective will be to institutionalize our ability to deliver at a high level of quality. The overall goal is to expand our unique capabilities to new offices and new acquisitions, and to free up executives to focus on strategic initiatives.
- Standardize coding, testing, and delivery practices across the organization to ensure they are met even in the face of time or resource constraints
- Create standardized metrics and early indicators to identify if something is in danger of missing these standards
- Empower technology teams to accountably respond to such indicators and report on projects systematically
- Train Directors to develop managerial capabilities below them and build a deep bench
- Design strategies for growing the software teams from 200 people to a much larger organization that operates across multiple offices in multiple countries