We are looking for an outstanding mechanical engineer to join our innovative team that will shape the future of urban e-mobility.
This position will sit within the Mechanical Systems team of the Energy Systems department with direct report to our Head of Energy Systems. You will develop the mechanical integration of the aircraft’s power distribution networks and components inside and outside the battery system.
Your work will be essential to develop and integrate an innovative energy storage system that meets challenging performance, mass, and size targets. With many interfaces to other engineering teams your work comprises multidisciplinary tasks with tight timescales, which require focused, efficient and proactive thinking to develop effective and creative solutions.
Having great ideas and ability to implement them, you will find the perfect place to work at Lilium.
Lilium welcomes people from all over the world. We are a multinational company and happy to support our new top talents with relocation. We have helped our new hires to meet their Visa criteria and successfully settle in Munich.
Your Day to Day:
- Development of the mechanical design of safe and lightweight power distribution networks, considering all the mechanical, thermal and electrical scenarios that an E-VTOL might have to withstand
- Specification of system, subsystem, and component requirements for the battery system and power distribution networks
- Selection of materials and parts w.r.t. mechanical, thermal, corrosive and electrical properties as well as design for scalable manufacturing, maintainability, and cost
- Mechanical design of electronics housing, harness integration, connector selection
- Close cooperation with mechanical, systems, CAD engineers responsible for structural integration and aircraft packaging
- Close cooperation with electrical engineers responsible for the EWIS (Electrical Wiring and Interconnection System) electrical design and integration
- Close cooperation with thermal engineering and calculation engineering for thermal management of the battery system and power distribution networks
- Coordination of parts, materials prototyping and testing on the battery system and power distribution networks level
- Support of laboratory testing, verification and validation according to CS-23, DO-160, DO-311A
- Support of development of series production processes and process standardization across departments
- Work on ad hoc related tasks or projects provided by management
- B. Sc/B. Eng or M. Sc./M. Eng. in Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics, Physics or a related field required
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant professional experience
- Strong fundamental knowledge of physics and engineering principles
- Strong knowledge of standard connectors, harness design, busbar design, electronics thermal management, EMI sealing
- Ability to develop concepts using hand calculations and building from first principles
- Design for manufacture and design for maintenance experience
- Experience collaborating with calculations department for advanced calculations and simulations
- Knowledge of composites, plastics, metals, and their manufacturing processes
- Knowledge of assembly design and CAD Software, preferably Siemens NX
- Strong motivation to help build structures and processes
- High level of self-reliance with the ability to work in a team, as well as autonomous
- Target-oriented, driven workstyle with analytic problem-solving skills are required
- Fluent English language skills are essential, fluent German or any other language would be beneficial
Welcome to the future:
Elegance, speed, comfort and sustainability – fusing to a new form of traveling. The Lilium aircraft is the only means of transportation that can meet the demands of future mobility and therefore shape it now. We are introducing the world's first electric vertical take-off and landing jet. Our ambition is to engineer, manufacture Lilium Jets, as well as create an end to end air transportation service on demand, operating around the world.
Lilium is a globally acclaimed Startup creating a revolution in personal transportation and e-mobility with secured funding and proven technologies (several flying prototypes). To date, the company raised over 100 million USD from two rounds of funding, with global top VCs and funds backing the company’s vision. We are a highly energetic and ambitious team with world-class investors who value outstanding talent, serious creativity and elaborate innovation.
At Lilium, you will work with the world´s most talented engineers, designers and thought leaders to revolutionize the way people travel. We apply an exceptional breadth and depth to our work, we are incredibly focused onto our mission and we are therefore looking for people like us who are continuously striving towards perfection. If you, too, are filled with the insatiable need to grow, to innovate and to create don‘t hesitate to grasp this exclusive opportunity.
Lilium is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals regardless of race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on competence, performance, and business needs