At LightStep, our mission is to deliver confidence at scale for those who develop, operate, and rely upon today’s powerful software applications. We created LightStep because we understand the massive architectural transformation underway in the software industry, and we saw an opportunity to accelerate it, all while improving the quality of the developer and end-user experience. While we learned a great deal from our experiences building Dapper (Google’s distributed tracing solution) and Monarch (Google’s high-availability metrics solution), LightStep is in many ways a reaction to and a generational improvement beyond those approaches. Our story as individuals and as a company revolves around continuous learning, careful listening, and the belief that these fundamentally new software architectures require fundamentally new solutions.
As a DevOps and Site Reliability Engineer, you will play a pivotal role in shaping our development cycle and product reliability, while working closely with our other engineers. We're looking for someone excited to join a growing team that writes efficient, maintainable code for a standout product used every day by engineers at Lyft, Twilio, and more.
Read more about our philosophy on SRE and DevOps here.
You’d be a great addition if…
- You enjoy digging deep into fundamentally challenging CS and engineering problems.
- You’re motivated by high-impact projects, whether they’re open-ended questions or immediate practical needs, that affect a business's bottom line.
- You come from a software engineering or product background but have always been curious to optimize the developer experience.
- You may have a particular area of expertise, but are still excited to explore new areas (and want to work with a team that encourages you to do so).
- You value EQ as much as, if not more than, IQ in your teammates.
- You're excited to work as the DevOps go-to on a cross-functional team including product managers, UI and back-end engineers, and designers.
- You’ve worked on (and/or have a lot of curiosity about) large-scale distributed systems, performance, security, and microservice-based architectures.
- You're excited about serving the engineering team that developers at dozens of companies rely on for 5 9's and firefighting!
Bonus points if…
- You've held a tech lead position in the past and enjoy coordinating with others to ensure complex engineering projects are done well.
- You have experience outside of engineering: marketing, sales, design, etc.
- You contribute to open source projects, enjoy giving talks, and/or do community-building work.
- You have mentored more junior developers, interns, or teammates in a lasting and impactful manner.
LightStep is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.