Lightstep enables teams to detect and resolve regressions quickly, regardless of system scale or complexity. We integrate seamlessly into daily workflows, whether you are proactively optimizing performance or investigating a root cause so you can quickly get back to building features. We continue to grow our talented, low-ego, team! We believe that we should always align our actions toward a common purpose, that trust is paramount and must be cultivated, that the most valuable team members multiply rather than add, and that we shouldn’t take ourselves too seriously (except when we’re writing way-too-long sentences about our values). We believe that assembling and retaining an inclusive and diverse team is the best way to grow a successful company.
Lightstep is looking for a Senior Product Designer to collaborate across teams to shape ideas into beautiful, effective ways to translate complex noise into actionable insight. As a member of our Product Design team, you’ll play an integral role as Lightstep grows.
About the team
Lightstep’s Product Design team is small and mighty! The team has several years of experience in the observability space and love the information design challenges of a product like Lightstep. We turn complex technical workflows, like root cause analysis, deployments, dashboards, and alerting into delightful, effective experiences that help developers solve real problems. We are constantly mindful of the design principles we have developed and use them to inform our designs.
We strive to balance pragmatism with vision in our work and process. We iterate in small cycles, getting feedback from our peers and from customers along the way. We work tirelessly to ensure that every design technique we use delivers real value in our product development process. Finally, we run ~quarterly north star exercises to ensure that we’re thinking holistically about our business goals and customer value in a seamless user experience.
We are a distributed team, with team members in San Francisco and Portland, OR.
You’d be a great addition if…
- You possess deep empathy for customers
- You are biased towards growth and continuous learning
- You are self-directed and comfortable with ambiguity
- You are a proactive communicator and collaborate effectively with design-peers and cross-functional roles.
- You have experience working in a Product, Design, and Engineering organization and can collaborate effectively across departments (i.e. Marketing, Customer Success, etc.)
- You can help your product team and engineering partners understand the “why” and help them stay focused on the highest priority tasks
- You have experience leading discovery and research efforts. You have a set of good research methods in your toolbelt
- You can articulate the business value of their work and take business considerations into account in their designs and research
- You are comfortable moderating usability sessions directly with customers
- You passionately believe a design team should be a safe and supportive environment, and a tightly knit team where everyone learns and grows together
- You have experience owning the design process for an entire feature set - from concept to delivery
- You can think at all levels, from information architecture to UX to interactions to pixels
- You can facilitate impactful design activities with other disciplines and take feedback on how to improve those activities, as well as on your work
- You don’t lose sight of the ideal user experience and work towards it pragmatically and iteratively
- You have experience with design and prototyping tools (Figma, InVision, Framer, Sketch, code, etc.)
- You have 3+ years of experience designing software products
Bonus points if…
- You have domain experience (data, monitoring, analytics, developer tools)
- You have built or maintained design systems
- You have graphic design experience (i.e illustrations, marketing graphics)
- You have experience with HTML and CSS. Experience with React is handy too!
Lightstep is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.