At LightStep, our mission is to deliver confidence at scale for those who develop, operate, and rely upon today’s powerful software applications. We created LightStep because we understand the massive architectural transformation underway in the software industry, and we saw an opportunity to accelerate it, all while improving the quality of the developer and end-user experience. While we learned a great deal from our experiences building Dapper (Google’s distributed tracing solution) and Monarch (Google’s high-availability metrics solution), LightStep is in many ways a reaction to and a generational improvement beyond those approaches. Our story as individuals and as a company revolves around continuous learning, careful listening, and the belief that these fundamentally new software architectures require fundamentally new solutions.
At LightStep, each Sales Engineer plays an essential role in ensuring the success of our customers and the growth of our business. We believe that the path to success for a customer begins in the sales process, when they are still a prospect exploring LightStep as a potential fit for their needs, challenges, and aspirations. Thus, our sales process is extremely consultative and the Sales Engineer works alongside our Account Executives to serve as a trusted advisor for each prospect. The Sales Engineer listens to each prospect, empathizes with their technical and operational pain points, understands how those relate to the prospect’s strategic business goals, and ultimately scopes a solution and partnership that allows us to drive success for the prospect as a new LightStep customer.
This is a great opportunity for an experienced contributor to be one of the first sales engineers in our NYC market, for an industry that has continued to grow as companies migrate to microservices.
You’d be a great fit if…
- You enjoy constantly challenging and expanding your technical knowledge.
- You are intrigued by the marriage of technology and business and enjoy engaging on both fronts to craft the perfect balance between the two.
- You display trustworthiness and build credibility quickly via empathy, clear communication, and a deep understanding of people, technology, and business.
- You would enjoy interfacing with our prospects including Software Developers, DevOps teams, and Site Reliability Engineers while serving as their advocate and champion within LightStep.
- You are a self-starter who flourishes in a team environment and enjoys building new processes, tools, solutions, businesses alongside other talented entrepreneurs.
Bonus points if…
- You have a background in Application Performance Management (APM) or system architecture analytics.
- You are familiar with any of the following: microservices, distributed tracing, proxies / service meshes (Envoy, HAProxy, Linkerd), cloud platforms (AWS, GCP, Azure), containers (Kubernetes, Docker).
- You know or are proficient in any of the following languages: Go, Java, Python, Ruby, PHP, or NodeJS.
LightStep is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.