Lightspeed is looking for a Backend Developer to work on Lightspeed’s Marketing global web properties, APIs, microservices and dev ops. Reporting to the Web Development Manager you will be a senior member of a small but effective and agile team consisting of front-end, back-end and dev ops developers.
We are not looking for just a team member, we’re searching for someone to enrich our family. We will let you write the code and bring your ideas. We will believe in you and give you the creative freedom to allow you to do the best work of your life. Sounds familiar? Perfect! We’ve got what it takes to keep you feeling challenged and empowered.
Here’s a little song we wrote about you: You have worked on large projects and your background is in PHP and/or Go. You’re a natural-born problem-solver and always game to develop products that solve real-world problems for customers around the globe. You enjoy learning things that you’ve never touched before. This is your chance to intimately collaborate with a small team, to take on big projects and greatly affect our codebase. We love critical thinkers who like to question why we do things this way and want to do better. Change agents are everywhere at Lightspeed, are you one of them? That comes with taking ownership of the code you write, coupled with strong architectural skills. If you want to do the best work of your life while being surrounded by talented colleagues, we think we should talk.
Lightspeed powers small and medium-sized businesses in over 100 countries around the world with its cloud-based commerce platform. Its smart, scalable, and dependable all-in-one Point of Sale software system helps restaurants and retailers sell across channels, manage operations, engage with consumers, accept payments, and grow their business. Founded in 2005 with offices in Canada, USA, Europe and Australia, Lightspeed recently completed its initial public offering on the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX: LSPD). We're passionate about enabling people to do their best work. Come work with us and find out what you can do.
- Work as part of a team to deliver product features and functionality
- Help design & architect our key services (websites, APIs and microservices)
- Develop clean, maintainable and scalable code
- Clearly estimate and scope features
- Lead & assist other developers on the team, including code reviews
- 2-3 years experience of back-end development
- Experience with PHP
- Good understanding of Design Patterns (MVC)
- Basic proficiency in a UNIX/Linux environment
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience with Git/Github
- Experience with GCP (Google Cloud Platform) or AWS
- Experience with Go
- Experience with Docker, Bash, Composer, Xdebug
- Experience with web caching systems (ex: Redis)
- Experience with Test Driven Development (TDD)
- Experience working in an Agile development environment
- Experience in building APIs
- Experience with relational (SQL) and non-relational (NoSQL) databases
What's in It for You?
In addition to the perks you see on the Careers page, you’ll get access to:
- A beautifully renovated office space in a castle; one of the best development centres in Montreal;
- An environment that encourages initiatives and leadership;
- Happy hour every Friday afternoon;
- Birthday treats every month to celebrate our employees;
- Social events throughout the year including the legendary annual holiday party;
- Fun activities with your teammates - be part of the Lightspeed family;
- Work with highly talented people who are as passionate about their craft as you are!