Lightship is the premier provider of enterprise level, technology enabled direct-to-patient clinical research. In this capacity, Lightship functions as a telemedicine-enabled site within a research study, which makes research participation possible for patients through the use of technology and home visits by our nurses.
Lightship Nurses are energetic, independent, and compassionate individuals. This is a specialized role in clinical research that works directly with patients in our studies under oversight of study investigators and clinical study lead to perform delegated clinical research activities.
You will work in a pivotal role ensuring the delivery of quality nursing care to patients primarily at their homes. Nurses ensure accurate completion of study visits, procedures, assessments, and collection of information from study patients according to protocols and for protecting the health, safety, and wellbeing of patients. When study visits or procedures take place in patients’ homes, Nurses will make home visits to complete these procedures.
The Clinical Research Nurse Coordinator position will also be responsible for coordinating communication and activities among patients, investigators, primary healthcare provider, vendors, and other study personnel to prepare for and complete remote (via telemedicine) study visits, procedures, assessments, and other day-to-day activities related to study conduct.
Nurses work with various Lightship business units as needed to develop and implement standard research processes to successfully complete technology-enabled Direct-to-Patient (DtP) clinical research.
A successful candidate will possess a willingness and desire to work independently without significant supervision. Additionally, this position will require moderate travel (approximately 50%).
We would like to offer you:
- An opportunity to help re-envision how clinical research is executed and deliver high-quality research outputs
- The chance to work with a patient-centered, clinically oriented, collaborative team to deliver enterprise grade direct-to-patient clinical research solutions at scale
- An unmatched opportunity to grow as part of an early stage startup
- Competitive compensation
Clinical Research Nurse Coordinators are responsible for:
- Assisting investigators, sub-investigators, and other Lightship personnel in successful implementation and conduct of research studies
- Providing nursing care to study patients, which includes:
- Completing study visits with patients in home and, in some instances, in clinic settings per protocol requirements
- Ensuring compliance with each study’s protocol by providing thorough review and documentation at each patient visit
- Performing protocol defined procedures and assessments, including, but not limited to, vital signs, physical examinations, and electrocardiograms
- Administering investigational medications or providing patient education regarding administration, as necessary
- Notifying Principle Investigator of findings / issues / possible adverse events identified during the study visits
- Educating patients on study procedures; responding to patients’ questions in a compassionate and cultural / age appropriate manner; triaging patients’ questions to the appropriate study personnel
- Documenting study data in patient records (paper and electronic, as applicable) to capture protocol requirements
- Coordinating / conducting study activities with patients and serving as the primary point of contact for patients, investigators, and study personnel, including:
- Completing pre-screening activities (e.g., phone screening) and other recruitment activities as approved by the IRB
- Participating in recruitment and selection of study patients by interviewing and documenting medical history / medication history per protocol requirements
- Coordinating research procedures and assessments; keeping track of all planned and completed study visits
- Organizing patients’, investigators’, home health personnel’s, and any relevant vendors’ (e.g., drug management vendor) schedules to complete study visits within protocol windows
- Shipping materials to patients or home health personnel in preparation for study visits; collecting study materials after visits are completed
- Assisting investigator / sub-investigator / designated personnel in the informed consent process as requested and delegated
- Alerting investigator / sub-investigator / designated personnel when patients report potential adverse events
- Managing patients’ reimbursement payments per protocol and as specified in the consent form
- Coordinating general study activities, including:
- Assisting with study start-up and close out activities
- Ordering study supplies, materials, and equipment
- Assisting patients, investigators, and study personnel in troubleshooting problems with supplies, equipment, or vendors
- Successfully completing all Lightship and study-specific training; training peers as requested
- Coordinating and scheduling meetings as requested, including preparing meeting agendas, keeping minutes, and distributing minutes to relevant parties
- Participating in site qualification, initiation, and monitoring visits, as requested; assisting with external and internal audits, as requested
- Assisting with resolving budget questions related to patients’ activities
- Other study-related activities as assigned
Clinical Research Nurse Coordinators have:
- Strong communication skills, including verbal, written, and presentational
- Strong follow-through skills and ability to proactively identify and solve problems; demonstrated initiative is imperative
- Ability to start from scratch, execute quickly and accurately without pre-defined processes and protocols, and an interest in defining such processes for the future
- Calm and collected manner when working with patients, physicians, and other research professionals
- Exceptional ability to work as part of a team and to multitask effectively
- Ability to function independently in a technology-enabled clinical research setting
- Ability to self-monitor the collected data and resolving / correcting errors per Good Documentation Practices
Education and experience
- Current valid RN license
- Knowledge of nursing competency skills per scope of practice (i.e., performing vital signs, nursing assessments, performing ECG / EKG, administering injections, etc.)
- Knowledge of medical terminology, drug calculation skills, and clinical medicine
- Two (2) years of recent clinical nursing experience in a hospital, clinic, or similar health care setting
- At least two (2) years of sponsored clinical research experience preferred
- Bilingual in English and Spanish, preferred
- Valid driver’s license
- Personal vehicle for on the job transportation
- Minimum of a diploma from an accredited nursing school, required
- Bachelor of Nursing or another Science degree preferred, or requisite combination of education, training, and experience
Our commitment to diversity & inclusion:
Lightship is an equal opportunity employer and promotes a diverse and inclusive workplace. Lightship considers all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, disability, veteran status, gender identity, genetic information, sexual orientation, or any other status protected by applicable law.
Please note: For the safety of our patients and each other, all positions at Lightship that require travel, in-person participation, or are patient-facing, do require vaccination against COVID-19.