POSITION: STAFF ACCOUNTANT
LOCATION: WASHINGTON, D.C.
REPORTS TO: FINANCE & ACCOUNTING DIRECTOR
FLSA STATUS: EXEMPT
ABOUT OUR ORGANIZATION
LIFT is a national nonprofit whose mission is to invest in families to break the cycle of poverty. We connect hardworking parents and caregivers of young children to the people, tools, and resources they need to reach economic stability and mobility. We help them build personal well-being, social connections, and financial strength to secure basic needs and achieve long-term goals and aspirations, like a safe home, living wages or a better education. LIFT operates in Chicago, Los Angeles, New York and Washington, D.C., communities with some of the highest rates of concentrated poverty. To learn more, visit www.whywelift.org.
LIFT is at an exciting moment in its organizational trajectory, having recently launched a new four-year strategic plan for scale through influencing systems and policy change in addition to continuous improvements to our direct service model. We are looking for entrepreneurial, results-driven, relationship builders who are committed to LIFT’s mission and values of diversity, operating with excellence, equity, relationships, and hope.
*LIFT has transitioned to a hybrid schedule, and this role will be expected to work in the office as needed, potentially up to twice a week but negotiable based on the candidate’s and the team’s needs.
The Staff Accountant is a key member of the Finance and Accounting team who helps maintain the smooth operations of the organization’s finance and accounting functions. The ideal candidate is a detail-oriented self-starter who is customer-service oriented in how they interact with the organization’s staff, vendors, and stakeholders.
The Staff Accountant will support the Finance & Accounting Director in handling day-to-day accounts payable processing, ensuring adherence to all applicable policies and procedures. The Staff Accountant will also be responsible for general ledger reconciliations, assist with the annual audit, help maintain internal controls, and provide excellent customer support to a growing number of staff and external customers. Additionally, this role will support in finding ways to continuously improve processes and practices within the Finance and Accounting Team, and the Finance & Operations Team as a whole, leading the organization to operate more efficiently and effectively.
- Process AP and prepare journal entries, including vendor invoices and a petty cash system
- Set up payments with ACH, wires and occasionally check payments for approval
- Collaborate with Talent & Culture Team to prepare payroll journal entries and handle payroll adjustments
- Monitor weekly bank transactions and collaborate with LIFT’s development team to track deposits and prepare journal entries
- Prepare month-end and year-end transactions, including GL account reconciliations, prepaid and accrual entries, and cut-offs
- Assist the Finance & Accounting Director with audit preparation
- Assist with preparing required tax filings and charitable registrations
- Contribute to the smooth functioning of the department, including document management, administration, and customer service to LIFT’s team and vendors
- Perform other tasks and special projects to assist the Finance & Operations team to ensure efficient operations
- Commitment to LIFT’s mission and core values
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting
- 2-3 years of experience with nonprofit accounting and financial processes
- Diligent, detail oriented, self-starter, and fast learning
- Experience recording journal entries in financial software, ideally Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central
- Basic understanding of GAAP rules for nonprofits and overall business operations
- Strong Excel skills (pivot tables, formulas, data manipulation)
- Some experience in an environment where tech solutions are being implemented to integrate financial info, and proven ability to support integration activities
- Strong communication skills including:
- Demonstrated ability to respond to staff requests in a way that provides resolution and excellent customer service
- Ability to follow detailed accounting policies and procedures in conjunction with performing daily responsibilities
- Ability to disseminate technical information in a way that is understandable to those outside of the Finance and Accounting field
- Strong collaborator who enjoys learning, developing, and following best practices in partnership with a team
Don’t think you have everything for this role but are still very interested? Please don’t hesitate to apply. We’d love to hear from you!
LIFT believes that diversity in all dimensions of the organization supports and bolsters the innovative thinking essential to its success and is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all qualified applicants. LIFT’s goal is for our people to reflect the communities in which we live and serve and to ensure representation of people of color, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities in our organization.
WHAT WE OFFER:
LIFT’s compensation philosophy is to pay competitively for our non-profit sector and ensure equity across the organization. The salary range for this role is $60,000 - $65,000. Compensation for the role will depend on several factors including qualifications, skills, competencies, and experience, and may fall outside the range shown.
LIFT provides an attractive benefits package that includes employer-paid health care coverage (100% for employees, 75% for dependents), a 403(b) retirement plan including an employer match contribution, 12 weeks paid parental leave, partial cell phone coverage, and pre-tax accounts for transit, health, and childcare benefits. LIFT also provides a generous paid-time-off policy, including one-week company-wide vacation over the winter holidays and a one-week company-wide vacation over the summer fiscal year transition.
Qualified individuals, please submit a resume and thoughtful cover letter with salary requirements.