POSITION: CFO/COO - CHIEF FINANCIAL AND OPERATIONS OFFICER
LOCATION: WASHINGTON, D.C., NEW YORK CITY, CHICAGO, OR LA STRONGLY PREFERRED; REMOTE UNTIL HYBRID RE-ENTRY PLAN ESTIMATED FOR JANUARY
REPORTS TO: CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER
SUPERVISES: FINANCE AND ACCOUNTING DIRECTOR/TALENT & HR DIRECTOR/IT DIRECTOR
FLSA STATUS: EXEMPT
ABOUT OUR ORGANIZATION
LIFT is a national nonprofit whose mission is to invest in families to break the cycle of poverty. We connect hardworking parents and caregivers of young children to the people, tools, and resources they need to reach economic stability and mobility. We help them build the personal well-being, social connections, and financial strength to secure basic needs and achieve long-term goals and aspirations, like a safe home, living wages or a better education. LIFT operates in Chicago, Los Angeles, New York and Washington, D.C., communities with some of the highest rates of concentrated poverty. To learn more, visit www.whywelift.org.
LIFT is at an exciting moment in its organizational trajectory having recently launched a new four-year strategic plan for scale through influencing systems and policy change in addition to continuous improvements to our direct service model. We are looking for entrepreneurial, results-driven, relationship builders who are committed to LIFT’s mission and values of diversity, operating with excellence, equity, relationships, and hope.
This is an outstanding opportunity for a seasoned leader with expertise with overall business strategy to bring true operational excellence to a mission-driven organization. The CFO/COO - Chief Financial and Operations Officer (CFOO) is an experienced executive who can create the functions, systems, and processes that enable a high-growth organization to operate seamlessly.
The CFOO is a critical member of LIFT’s Executive Team who will shape and lead LIFT’s finance strategy in addition to overseeing LIFT’s talent, operations, and technology functions across our nationwide network. They will lead on growth strategy financial modeling to ensure we are hitting our targets with sufficient resources and capacity to achieve sustained growth. They must be also committed to driving REI (race equity and inclusion) within decision-making across the organization.
The CFOO will report to the CEO and the following roles will report to the CFOO: Director of Finance & Accounting, Director of Talent & HR, Director of Technology.
AS CHIEF FINANCIAL AND OPERATIONS OFFICER, YOU WILL:
Lead fiscal responsibility and sustainability.
- Advise the CEO and other key members of senior management on financial planning, budgeting, cash flow, investment priorities, and policy matters
- Lend financial perspective to the evaluation of key strategic initiatives and relationships
- Serve as the management liaison to the Board Audit and Finance Committee
- Maintain internal controls and safeguards and lead all audit activities
- Lead the annual budgeting process in conjunction with cross-functional annual planning
- Work with Director of Finance and Accounting to
- Oversee the work of the Finance team and contracted vendors, including P&L, balance sheet, financial statements, cash management, tax planning strategies, and banking relationships
- Implement and/or upgrade an appropriate system of policies, internal controls, accounting standards, and procedures
- Improve administrative and operational accounting services such as treasury management, grants payment processing, integration with Salesforce, payroll, accounts payable, and purchasing
- Direct grant management, tracking, and reporting to support regions
- Oversee accounting, AP, timesheet, and payroll system transitions
Work with the Director of Talent & HR to promote a culture of high employee engagement, excellence in performance across the organization and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to equity.
- Ensure that the Talent team is at the forefront of promoting our priority to center REI into LIFT’s org-wide decision-making & operations including establishing policies and processes that have an eye toward diversity, equity and belonging
- Guide and support improving organizational processes for capacity to scale and talent practices to set staff up for success such as with building out tools, skills, systems, and structures to support our growth
- Work with Talent Team to promote a culture where staff have resources, skills, and capacity to do their work well and love what they do
Work with Director of Technology to oversee strategic operations of the technology department.
- Direct an in-house technology team and contracted vendors to foster a culture of innovation
- Oversee and help guide IT projects that promote efficiency and effectiveness in process across the organization
- Work closely with the Tech Team to ensure smooth transitions to new systems and support investments in new systems to best position the organization for growth/sustainability
- Collaborate with other department leads to leverage IT technologies to advance LIFT’s mission
- Ensure organization has fiscally prepared for asset management
OUR IDEAL CANDIDATE:
- Commitment to LIFT’s mission and core values (Equity, Diversity, Relationships, Excellence, and Hope). At the center of this is focus on Racial Equity and Inclusion (REI) in all our functions, from member-facing policies, pay equity, retirement equity/education, competitive benefits structures for staff/families, and securing vendors
- 10+ years of finance experience. At least 3 years leading a finance function within a non-profit with multiple sites and funding sources including individual, government, and institutional funding, both restricted and unrestricted is strongly preferred
- Master’s in Finance and/or CPA and/or MBA preferred with strong understanding of Finances and Operations
- MS Dynamics Business Central 365 Accounting software and change management experience a plus
- Proven track record of exceeding goals and a bottom-line orientation
- Commitment to recruiting, mentoring, training, and retaining a diverse team
- Superior written and verbal communication skills with an ability to articulate a clear and compelling vision and lead others to implement it
- Commitment to positively contributing to our culture; must be a relationship-builder, team player, and able to work collaboratively across functions
- The CFOO can be located in any of the 4 offices where LIFT is present: LA, Chicago, New York City, and Washington DC. Note that during COVID-19, LIFT has transitioned to working and providing services remotely and is committed to the safety of its staff, coaches, and members. When the organization moves forward with its hybrid re-entry plan estimated for Jan 1, this position will require 10-20% travel to our offices. This position will serve as a thought partner to the re-entry plan
- This role will be responsible for providing thought partnership and oversee executing the plan
Don’t think you have everything for this role but are still very interested? Please don’t hesitate to apply. We’d love to hear from you!
LIFT believes that diversity in all dimensions of the organization supports and bolsters the innovative thinking essential to its success and is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all qualified applicants. LIFT’s goal is for our people to reflect the communities in which we live and serve and to ensure representation of people of color, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities in our organization.
WHAT WE OFFER:
In addition to a competitive salary, LIFT provides an attractive benefits package that includes employer-paid health care coverage, a 403(b) retirement plan including an employer match contribution, partial cell phone coverage, and pre-tax accounts for transit, health, and childcare benefits. LIFT also provides a generous paid-time-off policy, including a one-week company-wide vacation over the winter holidays and a one-week company-wide vacation over the summer fiscal year transition.
Qualified individuals, please submit a resume and thoughtful cover letter.