POSITION: Communications Associate
LOCATION: DC, LA, NY, or Chicago (DC or NY preferred)
REPORTS TO: Senior Communications Manager
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
ABOUT OUR ORGANIZATION
LIFT is a national nonprofit whose mission is to empower families to break the cycle of poverty. Founded in 1998, we have helped 100,000 low-income individuals achieve their goals. Today we connect hardworking parents and caregivers of young children to the people, tools, and resources they need. LIFT operates in Chicago, Los Angeles, New York and Washington, D.C., communities with some of the highest rates of concentrated poverty. We help families build the personal well-being, social connections and financial strength to secure basic needs and achieve long-term goals and aspirations, like a safe home, living wages or a better education. To learn more, visit www.whywelift.org.
LIFT is at an exciting moment in its organizational trajectory. As we begin the next phase of our strategic plan, we are expanding our team. We are looking for entrepreneurial, results-driven, relationship builders who are committed to LIFT’s mission and values.
*During the COVID-19 pandemic, LIFT has transitioned to working and providing services remotely and is committed to the safety of its staff, coaches, and members.
Are you as compelling in 140 characters as you are in 300 words? Do you love to strategize, plan, and execute? If writing and planning are your sweet spots (and you have a serious thing for visual storytelling too) then this job may be your dream come true. As our Communications Associate, you’ll be leading our organization’s editorial calendar and producing top-notch written and designed materials.
Being an architect of LIFT’s communications operations and an ambassador of LIFT’s voice is sort of a big deal, so if you think you have what it takes to share our stories of change with the world, read on…
At LIFT, you will join a small, but mighty team who have the awesome job of making sure that LIFT’s story is told in an authentic and approachable way and who ensure that people across the nation feel connected to and engaged in our intersectional approach to disrupting the cycle of poverty.
You will be expected to become an expert on telling compelling stories, working across teams toward a shared mission, and providing org-wide support on all things comms.
On the content front, you will:
- Write and edit in LIFT’s colloquial but smart voice for a diverse range of needs including marketing materials, video, newsletters, fundraising campaigns, websites, blogs, media, and social media
- Provide graphic design support for social media, presentations, and other marketing materials to create beautiful content that tells LIFT’s story
- Develop and maintain an annual editorial calendar
- Stay abreast of, and react to, the public news cycle related to LIFT’s work on topics like poverty, social justice, innovation, and impact
- Be a guardian of LIFT’s brand voice and message and be a consultant to your team members on LIFT’s style
On the digital front, you will:
- Manage LIFT’s social media platforms and create a consistent pulse of relevant and timely activity
- Develop social media strategies that support marketing and PR objectives
- Track, analyze, report on, and make meaning of social media and website analytics
- Connect with online influencer groups, websites, corporate and strategic partners to leverage social assets for co-marketing initiatives
- Lead a cohort of Comms Agents (regional communications ambassadors) to help amplify LIFT’s voice nationally across social media and email marketing
OUR IDEAL CANDIDATE:
- Understands the weight of systemic racism in our work and leverages practices that dismantle inequity, rather than perpetuate it
- Is a planner by nature, and creates structures and systems that create clarity and cohesion
- Ability to work independently; a self-starter with a high level of integrity
- Ability to collaborate with a national fundraising team, regional teams, and administrative departmental teams
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to build relationships with internal stakeholders
- Professionalism, maturity, good judgment, and flexibility
- Excellent communication skills across a variety of mediums (e.g., written, visual)
- 1-3 years of experience managing social media for an organization or in a communications role
- Outstanding command of the English language (bonus points if you’re proficient in Spanish!)
- Mastery of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint (or their Google equivalents)
- Highly skilled in graphic design software like Canva and Adobe Photoshop
- A pulse on the latest trends in social media and a desire to continuously learn and grow
- Proactive, a self-starter, organized, and a can-do attitude
Don’t think you have everything for this role but are still very interested? Please don’t hesitate to apply. We’d love to hear from you!
LIFT believes that diversity in all dimensions of the organization supports and bolsters the innovative thinking essential to its success. LIFT does not make hiring decisions on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic background, age, disability, religion, political affiliation, or ideology.
WHAT WE OFFER
In addition to a competitive salary, LIFT provides an attractive benefits package that includes employer-paid health care coverage, a 403(b) retirement plan including an employer match contribution, partial cell phone coverage, and pre-tax accounts for transit, health, and childcare benefits. LIFT also provides a generous paid-time-off policy, including a one-week company-wide vacation over the winter holidays.
Please submit your resume, a thoughtful cover letter, and any writing/graphic design samples you’d like for us to see.