INTERN POSITION: Talent/HR Intern
LOCATION: DC, NY, LA, or Chicago (Remote)
REPORTS TO: Human Resources Coordinator
TERMS OF ENGAGEMENT: 15-40 hours/week, approximately 2 months
ABOUT OUR ORGANIZATION:
LIFT is a national nonprofit whose mission is to empower families to break the cycle of poverty. Founded in 1998, we have helped 100,000 low-income individuals achieve their goals. Today we connect hardworking parents and caregivers of young children to the people, tools and resources they need. LIFT operates in Chicago, Los Angeles, New York and Washington, D.C., communities with some of the highest rates of concentrated poverty. We help families build the personal well-being, social connections and financial strength to secure basic needs and achieve long-term goals and aspirations, like a safe home, living wages or a better education. To learn more, visit https://www.whywelift.org/.
LIFT is at an exciting moment in its organizational trajectory. We are about to launch a new five-year strategic plan. We are looking for community-centered, entrepreneurial, results-driven, relationship builders who are committed to LIFT’s mission and values.
*During the COVID-19 crisis, LIFT has transitioned to working and providing services remotely and is committed to the safety of its staff, coaches, and members.
We are looking for a Talent/HR Intern to support our team by performing various administrative tasks to support our Talent/HR department’s daily activities and by taking on some projects as we look to improve our HR processes as we are growing. If you’re interested in kickstarting your career in HR and getting a closer look of how our organization approaches various facets of HR from recruiting to compliance, we’d like to meet you.
Your responsibilities will include a host of tasks such as updating our employee records, creating and maintaining onboarding and offboarding checklists, scheduling interviews, researching and drafting policies and processes, drafting internal employee communications, researching our ability to increase our diversity candidate pipeline, and other tasks or projects as needed.
This is a paid internship and we are open to the right candidate in terms of hours per week for the summer and we are also open to continuing the internship past the summer.
AS A TALENT/HR INTERN, YOU WILL:
- Gain proficiency with our Applicant Tracking System and recruitment processes by supporting LIFT's hiring efforts. This could include scheduling interviews, updating applicant trackers, and posting and updating positions on external sites
- Conduct research and write content for various Human Resources forms and documents that will promote LIFT’s organizational goals
- Gain proficiency with Human Resource Information Systems by managing data and data entry in LIFT's HRIS
- Gain proficiency in basic Office 365 administration including SharePoint, OneDrive, and Microsoft Teams
- Provide support with planning and logistics for staff events
- Assist with creating, maintaining and closing out onboarding and offboarding checklist items
- Confirm completion of timesheet submissions and approvals
- Manage employment verifications and background checks
- Assist with special projects
OUR IDEAL CANDIDATE:
- Pursuing a degree or work experience in Human Resources, Business Administration, or other related field
- Previous experience in a professional workplace a plus
- Commitment to LIFT’s values and our work on racial equity and inclusion
- Demonstrated ability to be pro-active and manage up
- Ability to follow-up and follow-through on tasks
- Demonstrated and excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Highly organized and detail-oriented
- Have excellent time management skills; you can meet deadlines even when faced with numerous competing priorities
- Take initiative and have a knack for devising creative solutions to any problem in your path
- Thrive in a fast-paced environment and can prioritize competing tasks
- Customer-oriented toward our employees and approach every situation with a spirit of generosity
- Demonstrate good judgement and discretion
- Have a high degree of integrity, and the ability to work with confidential information
- Proficiency of MS Office (Word, Outlook, and Excel specifically); experience with other HRIS/HRMS or databases is a plus
Don’t think you have everything for this role but are still very interested? Please don’t hesitate to apply. We’d love to hear from you!
LIFT believes that diversity in all dimensions of the organization supports and bolsters the innovative thinking essential to its success. LIFT does not make hiring decisions on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic background, age, disability, religion, political affiliation, or ideology.
Please submit your resume and a thoughtful cover letter.