POSITION: Director or Manager of Individual Giving – FT or PT
LOCATION: DC, LA, NY, or Chicago preferred
REPORTS TO: Chief Advancement Officer
FLSA STATUS: Exempt if FT, likely Exempt if PT
ABOUT OUR ORGANIZATION
LIFT is a national nonprofit whose mission is to empower families to break the cycle of poverty. Founded in 1998, we have helped 100,000 low-income individuals achieve their goals. Today we connect hardworking parents and caregivers of young children to the people, tools and resources they need. LIFT operates in Chicago, Los Angeles, New York and Washington, D.C., communities with some of the highest rates of concentrated poverty. We help families build the personal well-being, social connections and financial strength to secure basic needs and achieve long-term goals and aspirations, like a safe home, living wages or a better education. To learn more, visit www.whywelift.org.
LIFT is at an exciting moment in its organizational trajectory. As we begin the next phase of our strategic plan, we are expanding our team. We are looking for entrepreneurial, results-driven, relationship builders who are committed to LIFT’s mission and values.
*During the COVID-19 pandemic, LIFT has transitioned to working and providing services remotely and is committed to the safety of its staff, coaches, and members.
As part of a new four-year strategic plan, LIFT will double its individual giving revenue (from ~$2M annually to ~$4M annually) by 2025. We recognize that this role may be a fit for a variety of candidates (e.g. an experienced Director could succeed in this role on a part-time basis) and can be flexible on FT or PT role status for the person with the skills and experience to help us meet our goals.
You will join our National Development Team and have demonstrated experience to create an individual giving strategy – across multiple initiatives – and execute it collaboratively with our frontline fundraisers while maintaining accountability for the overall goal. You do not need extensive frontline fundraising experience for this role, but to succeed, you need to be well-equipped to grow and own the overall individual giving stream for a national non-profit (e.g., deep knowledge on operational systems to set goals and manage progress toward them; cultivation/stewardship programs for major donors; experience with growth campaigns).
AS AN INDIVIDUAL GIVING DEVELOPMENT MANAGER/DIRECTOR YOU WILL:
- Manage the strategy and execution for LIFT’s individual giving stream nationwide, in collaboration with LIFT’s CEO, CAO, regional Executive Directors and local development staff. As key priorities you will:
- Create and manage a new individual giving program to improve cultivation and stewardship for $10K+ donors
- Maintain LIFT’s annual giving program (Family Supporter Network) to build the base of individual supporters - while identifying prospects for future major gifts
- Shape local and national individual donor pipeline systems to manage progress toward goals
- Launch and manage our major gift campaign (inspired by our four-year strategic plan to be completed in summer 2021)
- To meet these key priorities, you will
- Collaborate with LIFT Leadership and Board of Directors to translate organizational priorities into major gift fundraising opportunities, both short- and long-term
- Draft priority pieces of individual donor communication (e.g., emails for CEO; key one-pagers for org-wide efforts in partnership with Communications team)
- Provide consultative support on messaging and collateral for local teams
- Identify current major gift prospects from LIFT’s donor and prospect pool and find new prospects not yet engaged with LIFT
- Collaborate and meet with program staff to engage broader organization in the role of philanthropy
- Manage the administration and maintenance of data relating to assigned donors and prospects in the department database; ensuring data integrity
- Prepare progress reports for key stakeholders on individual giving progress (e.g., national board)
- Work closely with LIFT’s Finance team on gift posting and reconciliation
OUR IDEAL CANDIDATE:
- Demonstrated ability to create an individual giving strategy across multiple initiatives (e.g., major donor stewardship program, major gift campaign, annual giving appeals) and work with internal frontline fundraisers (e.g., CEO, local EDs) to execute the plan to meet our goals
- Appreciates the weight of systemic racism in our work and leverages philanthropic practices that dismantle inequity, rather than perpetuate it
- Ability to work independently; a self-starter with a high level of integrity
- Ability to collaborate with a national fundraising team, regional teams and administrative departmental teams
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to build relationships with internal stakeholders
- Professionalism, maturity, good judgment, and flexibility
- Excellent communication skills across a variety of mediums (e.g., written, visual)
- A proficiency in relying on data to answer questions and an appreciation of its usefulness in undergirding goals and priorities
- 5+ years of experience in individual giving development/fundraising in a non-profit that includes progressive fundraising experience in annual, mid-level, major and planned giving
- A track record of successful performance in establishing a strategy and implementing a program so that frontline fundraisers meet their goals
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with all staff levels and board members within an organization
- Knowledge of Salesforce
Don’t think you have everything for this role but are still very interested? Please don’t hesitate to apply. We’d love to hear from you!
LIFT believes that diversity in all dimensions of the organization supports and bolsters the innovative thinking essential to its success. LIFT does not make hiring decisions on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic background, age, disability, religion, political affiliation, or ideology.
WHAT WE OFFER:
In addition to a competitive salary, LIFT provides an attractive benefits package that includes employer-paid health care coverage, a 403(b) retirement plan including an employer match contribution, partial cell phone coverage, and pre-tax accounts for transit, health, and childcare benefits. LIFT also provides a generous paid-time-off policy, including a one-week company-wide vacation over the winter holidays.
Please submit your resume and a thoughtful cover letter with salary requirements.