POSITION: DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR
LOCATION: LOS ANGELES; PLEASE ONLY APPLY IF YOU ARE IN LOS ANGELES
REPORTS TO: EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
SUPERVISES: DEVELOPMENT COORDINATOR
FLSA STATUS: EXEMPT
ABOUT OUR ORGANIZATION:
LIFT is a national nonprofit whose mission is to empower families to break the cycle of poverty. Founded in 1998, we have helped 100,000 low-income individuals achieve their goals. Today we connect hardworking parents and caregivers of young children to the people, tools and resources they need. LIFT operates in Chicago, Los Angeles, New York and Washington, D.C., communities with some of the highest rates of concentrated poverty. We help families build the personal well-being, social connections and financial strength to secure basic needs and achieve long-term goals and aspirations, like a safe home, living wages or a better education. To learn more, visit https://www.whywelift.org/.
LIFT is at an exciting moment in its organizational trajectory. We are about to launch a new five-year strategic plan. We are looking for community-centered, entrepreneurial, results-driven, relationship builders who are committed to LIFT’s mission and values.
*During the COVID-19 crisis, LIFT has transitioned to working and providing services remotely and is committed to the safety of its staff, coaches, and members.
Reporting to the regional Executive Director, the Development Director is responsible for the management, coordination, and execution of the region’s fundraising efforts to meet the year’s budgetary targets with sight to long term financial growth and sustainability. The Development Director will serve as a thought partner to the regional Executive Director and will co-lead on regional revenue strategy and will be his/her/their right-hand for implementation. This role will oversee institutional fundraising in partnership with the Development team and manage a development portfolio that includes individual and institutional donors, as well as major campaigns such as events. Success for the Director looks like our members and program having the support and resources they need to succeed.
AS A DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR, YOU WILL:
- Serve as a thought partner with the region’s Executive Director and will co-lead in developing the region’s overall development strategy, with a special focus on ensuring that the Executive Director is effectively leveraged with existing and potential funders.
- Lead the annual revenue planning process in collaboration with Executive Director and the National Development Team
- Manage fundraising pipeline including overall stewardship and cultivation strategy.
- Identify new opportunities for grant funding, lead grant proposal and report strategy, and steward existing foundation relationships
- Build, cultivate, and steward a prospect portfolio with the goal of generating $3,500+ gifts
- Develop and manage Salesforce to integrate data and research into the donor cultivation process, building strategies to increase donor support and enhance donor experience
- Lead the planning and execution of the region’s annual Family Supporter Network and/or fundraising event(s), including managing and growing a host committee, soliciting sponsorships, and managing donor relationships
- Plan small donor cultivation events in partnership with the Executive Director, Development Coordinator, Operations Associate and the program team
- Oversee LIFT-LA’s current foundation relationships including editing proposal and report drafts provided by LIFT National’s Grants Consultant
- Regularly generate and analyze fundraising data for discussion with the Executive Director and to inform strategy adjustments
- Develop a deep understanding of programmatic offerings and innovations, and use these learnings to drive and inform development strategy
- Work with the Executive Director to engage the region’s Advisory Board, including recruitment and selection of new members, communication, and preparation for meetings
- Support the Development Coordinator in carrying out communications strategy including newsletters, marketing touchpoints and donor stewardship
- Ground our fundraising in race, equity, and social justice; work in partnership with the Executive Director, program team and the Development Coordinator to strive towards a community centric fundraising model; work to ensure that the families’ we serve are centered in our fundraising efforts including their voices and narratives being lifted up in our communications and in donor conversations
- Directly supervise region’s Development Coordinator and support the Executive Director in engagement of the Operations Associate in development/fundraising activities
OUR IDEAL CANDIDATE:
- Commitment to LIFT’s mission and core values
- 5-10 years of nonprofit fundraising experience with front-line gift experience required, with proven track record of successfully closing individual gifts
- Knowledge of region’s fundraising landscape, with the ability to network and collaborate with a wide array of stakeholders
- Detail oriented, results oriented and strong attention to follow-through
- Ability to effectively identify, cultivate, and steward new prospects
- Strong strategic thinking skills with an ability to use data to make decisions and to translate strategy to action
- Superior verbal and written communication skills with an ability to articulate a clear and compelling vision and lead others to implement it
- Sound judgment, excellent customer service, and solid organization skills
- Salesforce experience preferred
- A collegial team player with a proven ability to motivate, engage and work collaboratively at all levels with prospect donors, volunteers, staff, colleagues, and similar constituencies
- Ability to coach and mentor peers and executives on effective fundraising practice
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution required; relevant advanced degree preferred
- Must be able to attend evening events and work some weekends
- Commitment to racial equity and inclusion
Don’t think you have everything for this role but are still very interested? Please don’t hesitate to apply. We’d love to hear from you!
LIFT believes that diversity in all dimensions of the organization supports and bolsters the innovative thinking essential to its success. LIFT does not make hiring decisions on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic background, age, disability, religion, political affiliation, or ideology.
WHAT WE OFFER:
In addition to a competitive salary, LIFT provides an attractive benefits package that includes employer-paid health care coverage, a 403(b) retirement plan including an employer match contribution, partial cell phone coverage, and pre-tax accounts for transit, health, and childcare benefits. LIFT also provides a generous paid-time-off policy, including a one-week company-wide vacation over the winter holidays.
Please submit your resume and a thoughtful cover letter with salary requirements.