POSITION: LEARNING AND EVALUATION DIRECTOR
LOCATION: WASHINGTON, D.C.; REMOTE
REPORTS TO: SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT, PROGRAM & STRATEGY
SUPERVISES: EVALUATION COORDINATOR
FLSA STATUS: EXEMPT
ABOUT OUR ORGANIZATION
LIFT is a national nonprofit whose mission is to empower families to break the cycle of poverty. Founded in 1998, we have helped 100,000 low-income individuals achieve their goals. Today we connect hardworking parents and caregivers of young children to the people, tools and resources they need. LIFT operates in Chicago, Los Angeles, New York and Washington, D.C., communities with some of the highest rates of concentrated poverty. We help families build the personal well-being, social connections and financial strength to secure basic needs and achieve long-term goals and aspirations, like a safe home, living wages or a better education. To learn more, visit www.whywelift.org.
LIFT is at an exciting moment in its organizational trajectory. Having recently launched a new four-year strategic plan, we are expanding our team. We are looking for entrepreneurial, results-driven, relationship builders who are committed to LIFT’s mission and values.
*During the COVID-19 crisis, LIFT has transitioned to working and providing services remotely and is committed to the safety of its staff, coaches, and members.
LIFT’s National Program Team oversees the design, continual improvement and evaluation of LIFT’s program model with the goal of increasing impact for Members. The Evaluation Department of the National Program Team aims to foster the highest quality program evaluation across all LIFT sites by 1) designing and implementing systems that allow LIFT to evaluate the efficacy of its program, 2) overseeing analyses of evaluation data and generating recommendations to continuously improve program quality and share insights with the field, and 3) lead evaluation partnerships with 3rd party organizations.
This is an exciting opportunity for an energetic, self-starter to lead, build, and expand evaluation efforts at a fast-moving organization. The Evaluation Director will spearhead LIFT’s evaluation frameworks (for Direct Service and Technical Assistance), synthesize information and generate recommendations that can be digested and used by the organization’s decision makers, and serve as a primary representative sharing LIFT’s lessons externally. In addition, the Evaluation Director will manage the Evaluation Coordinator to support regional staff with data collection efforts, understanding program performance data, and reporting to funders.
AS EVALUATION DIRECTOR, YOU WILL:
Lead evaluation strategy and organizational learning
- Spearhead conceptualizing the Evaluation Department’s strategy and priority areas
- Oversee the design and implementation of LIFT’s evaluation efforts, measuring the impact of LIFT’s work (including Technical Assistance services) and refining the model as the organization evolves over time
- Assess the organization’s existing program work on an ongoing basis, enabling and promoting a culture of learning, and helping LIFT to achieve its mission and deliver on its strategic objectives
- Develop and oversee the strategy for managing and sharing program knowledge across the LIFT network, ensuring that information is standardized and easily accessible, and that insights and lessons learned from program innovations are collected and communicated effectively.
Lead evaluation partnerships, learning agenda development, and external messaging of LIFT’s impact
- Serve as primary point of contact with research partners
- Lead development of learning agendas, evaluation partnerships, and data sharing agreements
- Build and maintain strategic partnerships, sharing lessons that increase LIFT’s reach and influence by shedding light on key areas of LIFT’s impact
Oversee program performance analysis, and generate recommendations for program improvements
- Define priority evaluation questions and oversee completion of analysis briefs that generate key insights and recommendations for continuous improvement
- Ensure program performance management reports are actionable and support decision making by managers in the regions and headquarters
- Support LIFT staff in interpreting and analyzing data for program improvement and external affairs purposes
- Oversee creation of guidance for staff on use of LIFT’s Salesforce instance, including dashboards, reports, and data
OUR IDEAL CANDIDATE:
- 5-7 years of professional experience developing evaluation frameworks (theories of change, logic models, learning agendas), defining program evaluation priorities and conducting data analysis to generate insights, and communicating findings to diverse audiences to inform changes in program and practice
- Professional experience with analyzing data to solve problems and initiate change
- Experience structuring quantitative and qualitative research projects from creation, to tracking of work plans and then managing against a work plan
- Experience effectively communicating the results of analyses (e.g. in written reports and presentations), and the ability to communicate clearly and succinctly to audiences of various backgrounds
- Experience maintaining a database, including formula writing; strong preference experience managing a Salesforce instance (Salesforce apps, reports and dashboards, custom summary fields, row-level formulas, and complex filters)
- Strong proficiency in Salesforce, Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint; preferably comfortable conducting analysis (e.g. R, STATA, SPSS or similar statistical software)
- A Master’s degree in public policy, economics, or a related discipline (preferred)
Don’t think you have everything for this role but are still very interested? Please don’t hesitate to apply. We’d love to hear from you!
WHAT WE OFFER:
In addition to a competitive salary, LIFT provides an attractive benefits package that includes employer-paid health care coverage, a 403(b) retirement plan including an employer match contribution, partial cell phone coverage, and pre-tax accounts for transit, health, and childcare benefits. LIFT also provides a generous paid-time-off policy, including a one-week company-wide vacation over the winter holidays.
Please submit your resume and a thoughtful cover letter with salary requirements.
LIFT believes that diversity in all dimensions of the organization supports and bolsters the innovative thinking essential to its success. LIFT does not make hiring decisions on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic background, age, disability, religion, political affiliation, or ideology.