POSITION: LIFT Coach (Unpaid)
REPORTS TO: Program Manager, Coaching
TERMS OF ENGAGEMENT: 16-24 hours/week, full year
ABOUT OUR ORGANIZATION
Founded in 1998, LIFT is a national nonprofit that empowers families to break the cycle of poverty. We operate program sites in four major cities – Chicago, Los Angeles, New York and Washington, D.C. – where we connect hardworking parents and caregivers of young children to the people, tools and resources they need to achieve greater economic security and well-being. We believe that by investing in families during children’s earliest years, we can break the cycle of intergenerational poverty. We are looking for entrepreneurial, results-driven relationship builders who are committed to LIFT’s mission and values. To learn more, visit www.liftcommunities.org.
The LIFT Coach is responsible for facilitating one-on-one coaching relationships with parents to support them in achieving self-determined career and financial goals. The LIFT Coach engages parents in goal setting and action planning, monitors parents’ progress, and provides accountability and encouragement to parents over time. The LIFT Coach also connects parents to relevant community resources and information, and guides them as they practice new behaviors, actions, and skills necessary to reach goals. Finally, the LIFT Coach will additionally provide support on LIFT other projects, services, and parent recruitment efforts, as needed.
AS A LIFT COACH, YOU WILL:
- Create a positive, welcoming climate for parents and their families.
- Build and maintain positive relationships with parents, partner agency staff members, and the local community.
- Provide high-quality coaching to 10-20 parents to support their achievement of career and financial goals.
- Conduct follow-up research on behalf of parents on topics relevant to their goals.
- Participate actively in daily debriefs with LIFT staff and fellow coaches.
- Support in the recruitment of new parents into the program.
- Support retention of parents in coaching through regular phone calls and emails.
- Provide regular upward feedback to LIFT’s Program Team to improve the design and effectiveness of LIFT’s coaching program.
- Provide short-term resource assistance to parents who are not currently eligible for coaching.
- Maintain accurate files/records and document services to parents in LIFT’s online case management system.
- Maintain confidentiality in all matters regarding the children and families served.
- Perform other duties as assigned
OUR IDEAL CANDIDATE:
- You collaborate effectively with parents to develop goals and to provide clear feedback about their progress
- You are committed to LIFT’s mission and vision
- You possess strong analytical and problem solving skills
- You possess excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- You demonstrate a strong attention to detail
- You are able to work effectively with community partners
- You are able to work effectively with a diverse population
- You are able to work well independently and are adaptable to changing environments
- You are interested in exploring both macro and micro social work opportunities
- Preferred: You are able to communicate proficiently in Spanish and/or French.
LIFT does not make selection decisions on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic background, age, disability, religion, political affiliation, or