LifeLabs Learning is the source for instantly useful, delightfully unusual, science-backed programs. We teach skills to build passionate and high-performing teams faster.
We don’t view humans as resources; instead, we focus on providing the resources people need to work with meaning. We are a community of lifelong learners who get excited about brain science and research, encouraging our colleagues and collaborators to do their best work, and growing our company with kindness. Our values are proof points of our commitment to creating an environment that is both productive and playful.
Our diverse community of researchers, consultants, facilitators, operators, technologists, and experience designers supports our focus on motivating companies, teams, and people to create a culture of work that brings out the best in their people - just like us! Learn more about us here!
Senior Accountant / Accounting Specialist
We’re looking for an Accounting expert and data-loving efficiency builder. Could that be you? Come help us turn the workplace into a practice lab for mastering life's most useful skills!
LifeLabs Learning is the go-to leadership development resource for hundreds of the world’s most innovative companies (like The New York Times, Clif Bar, Reddit, Sony Music, and TED). We offer manager, exec, and team training that blends science and practical tools.
Our team is a diverse, close-knit group of researchers, consultants, and experienced designers. We get excited about brain science, encourage each other to improve, give frequent feedback, make each other laugh, and have one another’s backs. Learn more about us here!
As our Senior Accountant (AKA Accounting Specialist), you will play a key role in ensuring our accounting is accurate and reliable, as this is key to provide a foundation for our rapid growth and ambitious vision. We will look to you for supporting monthly accounting including: accounting ledgers, accounts payable, accounts receivable, month end close, tax filings, and audit support, as well as financial analysis to help us navigate through our next phase of growth. Your role sponsor will be our Head of Business Operations & Finance.
*Note: This is a fully remote role (with opportunities to see team members in person).
Senior Accountant Accountabilities:
Your key day to day responsibilities will fall into the following categories:
1. Monthly Accounting and Financial Analysis Support
Purpose: Ensure we keep accurate accounting, use our money wisely to achieve our business goals, keep our team secure, and set ourselves up for success in the future.
- Prepare entries to the company’s general ledger and maintain accounting subledgers to verifying and properly posting account transactions
- Properly and timely recognize customer payments
- Ensure invoices are coded correctly, obtain all necessary approvals, and are paid on time
- Lead Accounts Receivable processes to ensure timely collection
- Work with People Operations (POPs) team for onboarding/offboarding labmates in our expense management software Ramp
- Lead system admin efforts in QuickBooks and Ramp
- Work with POPs and our Payroll provider to ensure timely and accurate payroll processing
- Collaborate with our Finance Lead and support Financial analysis efforts
- Support annual audit efforts
- 100% of Invoice Payments are completed by the due date
- 100% of Customer payments are recognized within 48 hours of receipt
- Ensure Days Sales Outstanding are at 30 days or shorter
- All onboarding/offboarding processes are completed within stated deadlines
2. Month End Close and Reporting
Purpose: Help us achieve our goals through having a disciplined and accurate approach to Month End Processes.
- Ensure month end results are accurate and reflect all accruals, reversals, reclasses, prepaids, etc.
- Perform monthly GAAP revenue recognition activities and ensure that data and journal entries are error free.
- Maintain detailed supporting schedules for prepaids and assets
- Prepare accurate capitalization and depreciation of assets schedules
- Perform monthly reconciliations
- Ensure that all key financial statements are fully reflective of the business results
- Output monthly financial statements and variance analysis
- On-time and accurate month end close
3. Tax Support
Purpose: Help us be in compliance with all applicable tax laws and regulations.
- Provide support for our Tax Director with the items needed for filing accurate tax reports
- Onboard vendors and ensure we are in full compliance including issuance of 1099s
- Assist with State and City tax filings to ensure our compliance with regulations.
- Support tax strategy by working closely with our Tax Director
- Review payroll reports for accuracy as related for payroll taxes
- 100% timely and accurate tax filings
- 4/5 score from the Tax Director on receiving the support needed
4. Special Projects
Purpose: Support the Accounting/Finance team and grow LifeLabs by applying your unique strengths, skills, and knowledge in ways that align with business objectives.
- Spot inefficiencies and look for opportunities to streamline, improve, and scale our accounting function.
- Assist the Finance team with a variety of special projects with timely initiatives and roll-outs.
- Achieve a 100% on-time project completion rate (or provide early notice if you cannot).
- Be able to answer: “I know how this project contributes to LifeLabs priorities and objectives.”
- Each project and initiative will also have its own set of success measures.
Click HERE to find out more about the role logistics and what onboarding/beyondboarding would look like!
Senior Accountant requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting
- Excellent understanding of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and experience applying them in practice
- Experience in closing a general ledger and/or audit, account reconciliation, JE preparation, maintenance of accounting schedules
- Strong accounting and ad-hoc analysis skills.
- Ability to keep small details from slipping through the cracks.
- Advanced time management and organization skills.
- Strong written communication skills.
- Ability to communicate with clarity, power, and warmth.
- Ability to manage and optimize processes and systems.
- Comfort juggling many tasks, projects, and relationships at once.
- An eagerness and skill in giving and receiving feedback.
- Proficient in QuickBooks, Mac iOS, Microsoft Office, Google Suite.
- Genuine care for people.
Preferred but not mandatory:
- CPA or CMA
- Big 4 experience
- Start date(s): September 12, 2022
- Location: Virtual (can be based anywhere in the US).
- Compensation: $80-90K salary + bonus
- Our compensation system is transparent and consistently applied throughout the company. We have predictable yearly promotions, kind of like a university -- with great work each year you'll graduate to the next level. As you take on new responsibilities you can expect a yearly compensation increase, so long as role expectations are met. #AlwaysBeLearning.
- Benefits: medical, dental, and vision insurance, 18 vacation days, 9 paid holidays, 1 personal Values Day, 1 May Day (Mental Health Awareness Month), 1 Open the Circle Day, 2 floating personal holidays (to celebrate individual cultural and religious holidays), Kind Fridays (employees end work at 3pm local time on Fridays), 401K, team profit share, annual Learning FUNd and Learning Days, lending library, dedicated peer coach, ongoing training, and biannual team retreats.
Want to know what to expect ahead?
Step 1: Complete the application below.
Step 2: Do a self-led demo to get a sense of the role and give us an opportunity to see your skills in action.
Step 3: Join an interview related to the role, your skills, knowledge, and our company values.
Let’s do this! Come be part of a team where you will learn something new every day, challenge yourself and others, laugh a lot, and make a real impact by helping people master life’s most useful skills.
Want to apply but not sure if you'd be the right fit? If we sound like the right place for you, we want to hear from you. There is no 'perfect' candidate. Everyone brings something different to the team, and our diversity of backgrounds, experiences, perspectives, and identities makes LifeLabs Learning an amazing place to work. We are interested in every qualified candidate who is eligible to work and lives in the United States (excluding Alaska). However, we are not able to sponsor work visas at this time. LifeLabs Learning is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information. LifeLabs Learning is committed to providing access, equal opportunity, and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. To request a reasonable accommodation, please let us know in your application or email us at Work@LifeLabsLearning.com
P.S. Please take the necessary steps to allow list the LifeLabs (@LifeLabsLearning.com) and Greenhouse (@Greenhouse.io) domain so that you receive all emails related to your application process. Also, please make sure to check your spam folder as emails from LifeLabs and/or Greenhouse can be marked as spam. Here are some common allow list solutions to fix this problem.
Please note that the interview and hiring team will not have access to your personal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission information during the interview process. We may not be able to respond to every application, but please know that we very much appreciate your interest and time (and always keep resumes on file for future opportunities).