Director of Information Technology
We’re looking for a technology expert and data-loving efficiency builder. Could that be you? Come help us turn the workplace into a practice lab for mastering life's most useful skills!
LifeLabs Learning is the go-to employee development resource for hundreds of the world’s most innovative companies (like Warby Parker, The New York Times, Clif Bar, Reddit, Sony Music, and TED). We offer manager and people-skills training that blends science and practical tools.
Our team is a diverse, close-knit group of researchers, consultants, and experience designers. We get excited about brain science, encourage each other to improve, give frequent feedback, make each other laugh, and have one another’s backs. Learn more about us here!
As our Director of Information Technology, you will play a key role in getting our internal technology systems and strategy caught up to our rapid growth and ambitious vision. We will look to you for insights, strategic system-building, data tracking, and to guide us through our next phase of growth. You will report to our Head of Business Operations and lead our (currently small) internal Technology group.
*Note: if you prefer, this can be a fully remote role (with opportunities to see team members in person).
Director of Information Technology accountabilities:
(1) Tech Strategy + Systems
Purpose:Make sure we are putting our technology to use wisely to achieve our business goals, keep our team and clients secure, and set ourselves up for success in the future.
- Set and communicate an internal technology vision and strategy in alignment with our company goals and values.
- Continuously gather insights and data to ensure that the tech we use is cost-effective, secure, and delightful for Labmate users.
- Propose, implement, and optimize tech solutions to meet current and future needs.
- Monitor the need for upgrades and maintenance to our existing systems.
- Audit our company-wide and department-specific systems to advise on opportunities for automation.
- Identify and eliminate tech security risks, and ensure we’re compliant with relevant laws, best practices, and client needs.
- Design and optimize our system for internal tech support.
- Formulate business continuity and disaster recovery plans.
- Execute on vendor selection and tech partnerships, with an eye toward making values-aligned, safe, inclusive, efficient, and strategic decisions.
- Oversee our system for tracking tech inventory.
- Track our tech-related expenses to ensure they are within budget, and forecast future budget needs.
- Design and lead end-user training of new and existing technologies.
- Advise on data we should collect to assess performance against company goals.
- Lead effective, inclusive, and brain-friendly change initiatives.
- All employees give an average score of 9/10 for:
- I have the technology I need to do my job effectively.
- My repeated administrative tasks are automated (vs. manual).
- Other metrics TBD.
(2) Tech Team Culture & Development
Purpose: Help the internal Tech Team become world-class in their roles, and create a department culture that drives engagement, learning, diversity, inclusion, and high performance.
- Coach, advise, give feedback, and help set priorities for the Information Technology function.
- Develop systems that assess performance by setting and tracking metrics and observing skills.
- Develop programs that increase team skills and performance.
- Track utilization rates to spot when it’s time to hire and/or re-distribute work.
- Develop and optimize systems to recruit, interview, and onboard new Technology team hires.
- Design Technology roles to achieve department goals.
- Do ongoing succession planning to ensure we have sufficient capacity to meet our Tech goals.
- Help build and model a department culture that creates engagement, belonging, learning, and high performance.
- Tech team member success in their role-related metrics.
- Tech team member assessment of clarity, support, inclusion, and development opportunities.
- Tech team member engagement.
Click HERE to find out more about the role logistics and what onboarding/beyondboarding would look like!
Director of Information Technology requirements:
- Ability to imagine, define, and communicate a compelling IT vision and strategy.
- Successful track record of building systems to enable automation and rapid scaling of an IT function.
- Knowledge of methods to gather and analyze data to spot and address business needs.
- Ability to apply technology solutions to business problems.
- Skills in creating a smooth, efficient, and delightful internal user experience.
- Expertise in data security technologies, best practices, and regulations (including GDPR).
- Expertise in implementing technologies and systems for business continuity and disaster recovery.
- Effectiveness in presenting proposals in clear and compelling ways (including articulating decision criteria, trade-offs, and ways to mitigate risk).
- Skills in designing simple, brain-friendly, and effective technology training for internal users with different learning needs and styles.
- People development prowess -- including coaching, feedback, helping set priorities, and creating an inclusive, fair, and engaging team culture and climate.
- Leadership excellence -- including creating alignment, establishing influence without leaning on formal authority, and bringing out the best in others.
- Strategic thinking and planning skills, including the ability to set metrics, identify (and adjust) priorities, create timelines, anticipate challenges, and involve the right stakeholders at the right times.
- Clear and compelling written communication, including explaining technical concepts to a non-technical audience.
- Demonstrating adaptivity and resilience skills and helping others do it too.
Preferred but not mandatory:
- Experience working with mission-driven startups and/or high-growth companies.
- Foundational data science knowledge.
- Knowledge of Business Intelligence tools.
- Working knowledge of Integromat (or similar automation software).
- Working knowledge of HubSpot CRM.
- Start dates:
- January 10th, 2022
- Location: Remote (can be based anywhere in the U.S.)
- Compensation: $100-150K salary + bonus (starting salary will depend on your skills and readiness for the role, includes a predictable promotion + compensation increase).
- Our compensation system is transparent and consistently applied throughout the company. We have predictable yearly promotions, kind of like a university -- with great work each year you'll graduate to the next level. As you take on new responsibilities you can expect a yearly compensation increase, so long as role expectations are met. #AlwaysBeLearning.
- Benefits: medical, dental, and vision insurance, 18 vacation days, 9 paid holidays, 1 personal Values Day, 1 May Day (Mental Health Awareness Month), 1 Open the Circle Day, 2 floating personal holidays (to celebrate individual cultural and religious holidays), Kind Fridays (employees end work at 3pm local time on Fridays), 401K, team profit share, annual Learning FUNd and Learning Days, lending library, dedicated peer coach, ongoing training, and biannual team retreats.
Want to know what to expect ahead?
Step 1: Complete the application below.
Step 2: Do a self-led mock working session to get a sense of the role and give us an opportunity to see your skills in action.
Step 3: Join a behavioral interview related to the role and our company values.
Step 4: Join us for a Knowledge Test where we’ll ask you more about your skills, knowledge, and experience related to the role.
*Note: All live interviews will be recorded and erased after 1 year of the interview.
To start! If you're interested: please send us your resume and complete the application below.
Let’s do this! Come be part of a team where you will learn something new every day, challenge yourself and others, laugh a lot, and make a real impact by helping people master life’s most useful skills.
Want to apply but not sure if you'd be the right fit? If we sound like the right place for you, we want to hear from you. There is no 'perfect' candidate. Everyone brings something different to the team, and our diversity of backgrounds, experiences, perspectives, and identities makes LifeLabs Learning an amazing place to work. We are interested in every qualified candidate who is eligible to work and lives in the United States. However, we are not able to sponsor work visas at this time. LifeLabs Learning is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information. LifeLabs Learning is committed to providing access, equal opportunity, and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. To request a reasonable accommodation, please let us know in your application or email us at Work@LifeLabsLearning.com
P.S. Please take the necessary steps to allow list the LifeLabs (@LifeLabsLearning.com) and Greenhouse (@Greenhouse.io) domain so that you receive all emails related to your application process. Also, please make sure to check your spam folder as emails from LifeLabs and/or Greenhouse can be marked as spam. Here are some common allow list solutions to fix this problem.
Please note that the interview and hiring team will not have access to your personal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission information during the interview process. We may not be able to respond to every application, but please know that we very much appreciate your interest and time (and always keep resumes on file for future opportunities).