VP of Digital Product / Director of Digital Product
We’re looking for a digital learning visionary and UX design master-mind with a passion for people, systems, and data. Could that be you? Come help us turn the workplace into a practice lab for mastering life's most useful skills!
LifeLabs Learning is the go-to employee development resource for 1,000+ of the world’s most innovative companies (like Warby Parker, The New York Times, Clif Bar, Reddit, Sony Music, and TED). We offer leadership and people-skills training that blends science, playfulness, and practical tools.
Our team is a diverse, close-knit group of researchers, consultants, and experience designers. We get excited about brain science, encourage each other to improve, give frequent feedback, make each other laugh, and have one another’s backs. Learn more about us here!
As our VP of Digital Product / Director of Digital Product (AKA Head of Digital Learning), you will bring our digital product vision and strategy to life in small and big ways every day. Your primary focus will be on designing and optimizing a digital learning experience for our clients and learners to augment our live learning experiences. This includes everything from imagining how we’ll achieve our goals to developing the roles we’ll need along the way. You will also serve as a strategic advisor for our CEO and Head of Content, helping shape the Product Department and overall business strategy. This role reports directly to our CEO.
Head of Digital Learning Accountabilities
Given the nature of this role, you will define much of the day-to-day activities, but we expect that your work will fall into the following categories:
(1) Digital Learning Vision & Execution
Purpose: Create a vision and design that enables us to help people master life’s most useful skills, delight our clients, and fuel a recurring revenue stream.
- Define and drive a digital learning vision, strategy, and execution plan that aligns with our learning impact, brand identity, client satisfaction, and revenue goals.
- Maintain a strong awareness of our users’ needs and goals (including learners, clients, and learners’ managers).
- Make UX and UI design decisions that create a simple, meaningful, and delightful user experience -- considering the unique needs of a diverse set of users with varying learning styles, cognitive abilities, and accessibility needs.
- Set and track objectives to ensure we are making steady progress toward our goals.
- Partner with our Director of Product Strategy & Operations to create clarity, adoption, and excitement for existing, new, and future digital products.
- Be an expert on competitors (and sources of inspiration) in the digital learning space.
(2) Digital Learning Systems & Scale
Purpose: Devise scalable systems and processes that ensure our digital products are instantly useful, delightfully unusual, and create lasting behavior change.
- Partner with our People Ops Department, CEO, and Head of Content to design and fill new roles that will bring the digital learning vision to life.
- Create documentation and repeatable processes to enable scale and efficiency.
- Partner with our Technical Project Manager to design and track systems that monitor user behavior, engagement, and retention.
- Devise systems and infrastructure to support continued growth and improvement.
(3) Team Culture & Development*
Purpose: Help the emerging Digital Learning team become world-class in their roles, and create a department culture that drives engagement, learning, diversity, inclusion, and high performance.
- Coach, advise, give feedback, and help set priorities for the digital learning team.
- Develop systems that assess performance by tracking metrics and observing skills in action.
- Develop programs that increase team skills and performance.
- Develop and optimize systems to recruit, interview, and onboard new hires.
- Track utilization rates to spot when it’s time to hire and/or re-distribute work.
- Do ongoing succession planning to ensure we have sufficient capacity to meet our goals.
- Help build and model a department culture that creates engagement, belonging, learning, and high performance.
*Note: You will likely be the first member of the Digital Learning team and will develop and hire new role(s). You will also receive plenty of support from our Content Team (who will create the content delivered via our digital solutions), our Technical Project Manager (who will support data tracking and analysis), and our Director of Product Strategy & Operations (who serves as a communication hub for the Product Department).
Overall Success Metrics:
- Learner engagement and retention
- Client satisfaction
- Digital Learning team member engagement and performance
Click HERE to find out more about the role logistics and what onboarding/beyondboarding would look like!
Head of Digital Learning Prerequisites:
- Experience leading the vision, design, and execution of a digital product -- ideally subscription-based and related to our services and audience at LifeLabs Learning.
- Ability to imagine, define, and communicate a compelling product vision.
- UX and UI design expertise.
- People development prowess -- including coaching skills, feedback skills, helping set priorities, and creating an inclusive, fair, and engaging team culture and climate.
- Leadership excellence -- including setting a compelling vision, creating alignment, establishing influence without leaning on formal authority, and bringing out the best in others.
- Strategic thinking and planning skills, including the ability to set metrics, articulate strategy, identify (and adjust) priorities, anticipate unintended consequences, mitigate risks, and involve the right stakeholders at the right times.
- System and infrastructure-building expertise, with an eye toward enabling the business to scale while keeping product quality and employee experience high.
- Track of record of setting and meeting ambitious goals.
- Clear and compelling written communication.
- Adaptivity and resilience skills, and a general default to curiosity.
Preferred but not mandatory:
- Knowledge of adult learning and development.
- Experience working with international audiences.
- Experience working in or with rapid-growth companies.
- Start dates:
- TBD (we are hoping for a start date during the first half of 2022) - this could be pushed back depending on the timeline of interviews!
- Location: Remote (can be based anywhere in the U.S.)
- Total Compensation: The starting total comp for this role is between $176,000 and $242,000 depending on your skills and readiness for the role. The expected earning potential for the role with tenure is $330,000 before switching to 2% cost of living adjustments. The salary range for this role is between $160,000 and $220,000. For the Head of Digital Learning role, the Success Share (bonus) increases with tenure, as follows:
- Year 1: 10% of salary Year 2: 20% Year 3: 30% Year 4: 40% Year 5: 50%
- Our compensation system is transparent and consistently applied throughout the company. We have predictable yearly promotions, kind of like a university -- with great work each year you'll graduate to the next level. As you take on new responsibilities you can expect a yearly compensation increase, so long as role expectations are met. #AlwaysBeLearning.
- Benefits: medical, dental, and vision insurance, 18 vacation days, 9 paid holidays, 1 personal Values Day, 1 May Day (Mental Health Awareness Month), 1 Open the Circle Day, 2 floating personal holidays (to celebrate individual cultural and religious holidays), Kind Fridays (employees end work at 3pm local time on Fridays), 401K, team profit share, annual Learning FUNd and Learning Days, lending library, dedicated peer coach, ongoing training, and biannual team retreats.
Want to know what to expect ahead?
Step 1: Complete the application below.
Step 2: Do a self-led mock working session to get a sense of the role and give us an opportunity to see your skills in action.
Step 3: Join a behavioral interview related to the role and our company values.
Step 4: Join us for a Knowledge Test where we’ll ask you more about your skills, knowledge, and experience related to the role.
*Note: All live interviews will be recorded and erased after 1 year of the interview.
To start! If you're interested: please send us your resume, complete the application below, and submit the following video:
We’d love to see your strategic thinking and communication skills in action. Please record and submit a short video (6 minutes max), answering the following 3 questions. No need for a slide show or high-quality video -- a cell phone or laptop camera works great.
Note: we are looking for clarity, structure, succinctness, specificity, and the ability to excite and inspire.
- Please describe how you transformed a product vision into concrete objective(s) and strategy. What were your results? Please be specific.
- In your opinion, what are the common weaknesses of most digital learning solutions?
- Lastly, please tell us about a difficult time you had with a coworker. How did you handle it?
Let’s do this! Come be part of a team where you will learn something new every day, challenge yourself and others, laugh a lot, and make a real impact by helping people master life’s most useful skills.
Want to apply but not sure if you'd be the right fit? If we sound like the right place for you, we want to hear from you. There is no 'perfect' candidate. Everyone brings something different to the team, and our diversity of backgrounds, experiences, perspectives, and identities makes LifeLabs Learning an amazing place to work. We are interested in every qualified candidate who is eligible to work and lives in the United States. However, we are not able to sponsor work visas at this time. LifeLabs Learning is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information. LifeLabs Learning is committed to providing access, equal opportunity, and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. To request a reasonable accommodation, please let us know in your application or email us at Work@LifeLabsLearning.com
P.S. Please take the necessary steps to allow list the LifeLabs (@LifeLabsLearning.com) and Greenhouse (@Greenhouse.io) domain so that you receive all emails related to your application process. Also, please make sure to check your spam folder as emails from LifeLabs and/or Greenhouse can be marked as spam. Here are some common allow list solutions to fix this problem.
Please note that the interview and hiring team will not have access to your personal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission information during the interview process. We may not be able to respond to every application, but please know that we very much appreciate your interest and time (and always keep resumes on file for future opportunities).