Director of Legal & Compliance / Corporate Counsel / Corporate Lawyer
We are looking for a thoughtful, people-oriented legal wiz to join our team. Come help us transform the workplace into a practice lab for mastering life's most useful skills!
LifeLabs Learning is the go-to employee development resource for hundreds of the world’s most innovative companies (like Warby Parker, The New York Times, Clif Bar, Reddit, Sony Music, and TED). We offer leadership and people-skills training that blends science, playfulness, and practical tools.
LifeLabs is a fast-growing, values-driven organization (we just hit 100 employees and expect to be over 200 next year). We have a self-accountable, diverse, adaptive, inclusive, playful, and passionate team. Learn more about us here!
As our Director of Legal & Compliance, you will work on our Business Operations team and in close partnership with our Leadership and Business Development teams. Your mission will be to ensure that the actions we take as a business are safe, ethical, and aligned with our company values. You will regularly think “around the corner” to anticipate and mitigate risks to our business, employees, and brand. You’ll also regularly roll up your sleeves to drive projects, advise our team, and support the ongoing optimization of our documents, processes, and policies.
*Note: if you prefer, this can be a fully remote role (with opportunities to see team members in person).
Director of Legal & Compliance accountabilities:
(1) Client, Partner, Vendor, and Employee Contracts
- Execute client contracts, including redlining and advising team members on edits.
- Advise on and hop in to support various client activities, such as RFPs and collections.
- Create, edit, and sign client, partnership, vendor, and employee contracts.
- Ensure that all contracts are clear, compliant and provide protection for LifeLabs.
(2) Business Operations Risk Management
- Propose solutions to mitigate risk across the business.
- Ensure that all policies, processes, operating agreements, and formation documents are compliant across all operating regions (examples: GDPR, data security, anti-bribery).
- Advise the Informational Technology and People Operations teams on internal policies, vendor selection, and laws, regulations, and legal rights that impact employees and the business.
- Assess needs for and set up business insurance (examples: liability insurance, E&O insurance).
- Oversee copyright, trademark, and IP security and usage (including registration and maintenance), handling infringement situations both swiftly and kindly.
(3) Legal & Compliance Project Management
- Drive state-specific registration and compliance with relevant laws and regulations.
- Maintain accurate, organized, and easily-accessible records of legal documentation and processes.
- Obtain and serve as the main point of contact for external counsel, if needed.
- Act as the point of contact in response to any litigation or arbitration, if ever needed.
- Manage various legal & compliance initiatives from beginning through completion, including ensuring continued alignment on metrics, stakeholders, milestones, and timelines.
- Regularly share your expertise and learnings to educate other people across the organization.
- On-time delivery of all project milestones.
- Positive feedback from collaborators on work quality and stakeholder involvement.
Click HERE to find out more about the role logistics and what onboarding/beyondboarding would look like!
Dr. of Legal & Compliance Prerequisites:
- Broad range of knowledge in legal, regulation, and compliance areas that impact business operations, including:
- U.S. and international labor law
- Contract law
- Intellectual property law
- Data protection
- Ability to translate legal jargon to make the information accessible to a non-legal audience.
- Strong written and spoken communication skills (particularly the ability to communicate with clarity, precision, and warmth).
- Negotiation skills (with an emphasis on finding elegant and creative win-win solutions).
- Ability to process complex issues and documents and prepare an informed recommendation.
- Ability to anticipate and flag legal issues, risks, and unintended consequences.
- Strong project management and execution skills.
- Discipline of keeping up-to-date knowledge of the latest changes in business relevant laws.
- J.D. degree from an American Bar Association accredited law school.
- A member in good standing of any U.S. State Bar Association.
- Start dates: February 14, 2022
- Location: Remote (can be based anywhere in the U.S.)
- Compensation: $110-150K salary + bonus (starting salary will depend on your skills and readiness for the role, includes a predictable promotion + compensation increase).
- Our compensation system is transparent and consistently applied throughout the company. We have predictable yearly promotions, kind of like a university -- with great work each year you'll graduate to the next level. As you take on new responsibilities you can expect a yearly compensation increase, so long as role expectations are met. #AlwaysBeLearning.
- Benefits: medical, dental, and vision insurance, 18 vacation days, 9 paid holidays, 1 personal Values Day, 1 May Day (Mental Health Awareness Month), 1 Open the Circle Day, 2 floating personal holidays (to celebrate individual cultural and religious holidays), Kind Fridays (employees end work at 3pm local time on Fridays), 401K, team profit share, annual Learning FUNd and Learning Days, lending library, dedicated peer coach, ongoing training, and biannual team retreats.
Want to know what to expect ahead?
Step 1: Complete the application below.
Step 2: Do a self-led mock working session to get a sense of the role and give us an opportunity to see your skills in action.
Step 3: Join a behavioral interview related to the role and our company values.
*Note: All live interviews will be recorded and erased after 1 year of the interview.
To start! If you're interested: please send us your resume and complete the application below.
Let’s do this! Come be part of a team where you will learn something new every day, challenge yourself and others, laugh a lot, and make a real impact by helping people master life’s most useful skills.
Want to apply but not sure if you'd be the right fit? If we sound like the right place for you, we want to hear from you. There is no 'perfect' candidate. Everyone brings something different to the team, and our diversity of backgrounds, experiences, perspectives, and identities makes LifeLabs Learning an amazing place to work. We are interested in every qualified candidate who is eligible to work and lives in the United States. However, we are not able to sponsor work visas at this time. LifeLabs Learning is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information. LifeLabs Learning is committed to providing access, equal opportunity, and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. To request a reasonable accommodation, please let us know in your application or email us at Work@LifeLabsLearning.com
P.S. Please take the necessary steps to allow list the LifeLabs (@LifeLabsLearning.com) and Greenhouse (@Greenhouse.io) domain so that you receive all emails related to your application process. Also, please make sure to check your spam folder as emails from LifeLabs and/or Greenhouse can be marked as spam. Here are some common allow list solutions to fix this problem.
Please note that the interview and hiring team will not have access to your personal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission information during the interview process. We may not be able to respond to every application, but please know that we very much appreciate your interest and time (and always keep resumes on file for future opportunities).